Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Pop Warner Saturday 6-16

Took the wife and kids to the ledge last week and had a good day with a few schoolies and a nice 25lb cow.  So this week I knew we would get a late start and we need some kingfish practice for the JR Angler tournament.  We leave Vilano at 11;30, turn north out of the inlet and find pogies immediately.  First cast, float the net and we are off the pop warner.
Get the lines set and within 15 minutes we have the first king in the boat.  Reset the lines and the short line starts screaming.  I see a silver belly as the fish jumps out of the corner of my eye and I think big barracuda.  My wife yells dolphin as I turn to see a nice fish jumping towards the horizon.
Kids clear the lines as I head to the front of the boat and we chase this thing down to get some line back.  Get things under control and hand the rod off to my daughter and after a few more short runs she has the fish boatside.  Gaff the fish and we have a beautiful 35lb dolphin in the boat and we are only 11 miles offshore!  
Great quick trip out and we ran in to swim a bit in salt run before the afternoon storms.  Sorry, not sure how to post pictures.

Replies