Redfish spits up old jighead

Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 541 Officer
While fishing yesterday my wife caught a nice red. In the middle of getting a couple pics it spits up a jig that is starting to rust up. Guess it's been in him for a little bit. I've always wondered if they're able to keep feeding with a jig/hook stuck deep in its throat or gut. It didn't keep him from hitting my wife's bait she had out.
Grasshopper

Replies

• nicknick Posts: 4,474 Captain
    Jim’s jigs...

I don’t think they hold any soft plastic worth a ****. 
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 851 Officer
    thats pretty cool 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    edited June 18 #4
    I have caught them with mono coming out the rear end, and found the jig inside their stomach. They are fairly tough fish.

Nice fish by the way!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,399 Officer
    I caught one with 20' of green slimy algae coated mono hang out of his mouth and the hook was in his stomach where I could not see it. I released the fish even though he was legal. I figured we needed that tough guy in the gene pool.
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 107 Deckhand
    That is cool.
  • lmbrjacklmbrjack old townPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Caught a trout had jig head hanging out  just the jay part almost rusted off fish was fine released after I removed it 
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,396 AG
    I've caught several that had jigheads protruding from their anuses. If a fish gets gut hooked, more often than not it will die if you try to extract the hook.  Best to just cut the line as close to the jig as you can and release it unharmed if you aren't keeping it. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,747 Captain
    I've caught several that had jigheads protruding from their anuses. If a fish gets gut hooked, more often than not it will die if you try to extract the hook.  Best to just cut the line as close to the jig as you can and release it unharmed if you aren't keeping it. 
    Same here. While removing my hook from a keeper red it pooped out a jig that looked brand new. Hard to believe that a jig with a barbed hook could pass all the way thru the fish.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,215 Officer
    Couldn’t find the pic, it’s been a while, but Robbie caught a Red with his jig hook through the eye of a jig already stuck in the forehead area. Now that’s skill LOL