Ready to Learn!

BlueumpBlueump Porta GuntaPosts: 9 Greenhorn
Hey all!

I'm new to the forum. I'm 52 and am
a lifelong resident of Michigan. I have a lifetime of fishing experience with freshwater fish: walleye, bass, salmon, etc... but am pretty new to saltwater species. 

My wife and I are heading to the Port Charlotte area (possibly an area we may retire to in a few years) for the next 5-6 summer weeks but I've had to leave my boat at home, for motor repairs. That leaves me high and dry for the entire time we're in Florida. I'm bringing a couple of rods so I can do some shore or dock fishing anyway.

If you have an open seat on your boat
(any day starting the week of June 24) and are willing to teach me a bit, I'm ready to learn! I'm looking to make new friends while learning the basics of successful fishing in Florida. 

Replies

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,835 Captain
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Most of the guys , including me, are reluctant to take a stranger on the boat.
    My advice is to contact a reputable Captain and learn from him
  • BlueumpBlueump Porta GuntaPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    edited June 17 #3
    Thanks for the reply Scoutboat. I understand the reluctance, and I have already done the charter thing here in the past. That's why my plan was to bring my boat down with us when I came...until my water pump went out.

On our Michigan-sportsman forum we have a whole thread category devoted to
    "open seats" - fellow sportsmen that are willing to share their fishing day with others. I offered an open seat in my
    boat earlier this spring when I did a walleye jigging trip. I took out an awesome angler whose boat was still in winter storage and we had a great day together limiting out on big fish.

I know its not conventional in today's society, but I'm just an old fashioned neighborly kind of guy - looking to meet a fishing friend or two. Maybe that's not the way things are done down in Florida. I'll still be neighborly!

If anybody is willing to take a chance on me, feel free to PM me!
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Blue why don't you bring down the boat with you, there are plenty of repair shops down here, i don't think its going to take more than a week to get it fixed if its just the water pump, enjoy your stay.
    101grunts said:
    Blue why don't you bring down the boat with you, there are plenty of repair shops down here, i don't think its going to take more than a week to get it fixed if its just the water pump, enjoy your stay.
    Thanks! I took it to my mechanic in Michigan already. He's working on it, and a couple other irritating glitches, this week. I told him it better be in perfect condition when I get back the first week of August - that's when my 8 weeks of salmon fishing begins!
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    Your perciform is perch like. I see it being similar to snapper fishing. More like A tommy or market cod. ;)
    What techniques do you mainly use to catch the walleye?
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    Your perciform is perch like. I see it being similar to snapper fishing. More like A tommy or market cod. ;)
    What techniques do you mainly use to catch the walleye?
    In the spring the walleye "run" the rivers to spawn. We use 1/2 or 3/4 oz. jig heads with soft body baits and jig them off the bottom. After they return to the big water basins during early and throughout the summer months they can be caught trolling spoons, crankbaits or crawlers on spinners. We even target them through the ice with jig baits! They are related to perch, but grow much bigger. You can typically catch walleye of 8-10 lbs during the spring runs.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,835 Captain
    Blueump said:
    Thanks for the reply Scoutboat. I understand the reluctance, and I have already done the charter thing here in the past. That's why my plan was to bring my boat down with us when I came...until my water pump went out.

On our Michigan-sportsman forum we have a whole thread category devoted to
    "open seats" - fellow sportsmen that are willing to share their fishing day with others. I offered an open seat in my
    boat earlier this spring when I did a walleye jigging trip. I took out an awesome angler whose boat was still in winter storage and we had a great day together limiting out on big fish.

I know its not conventional in today's society, but I'm just an old fashioned neighborly kind of guy - looking to meet a fishing friend or two. Maybe that's not the way things are done down in Florida. I'll still be neighborly!

If anybody is willing to take a chance on me, feel free to PM me!
    Blue,
    Florida fishermen are no different from the folks up north.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer

You have half the battle one. When it comes to trolling, there's A
    boaters ethics and of course stewardship.

This is easy anyone can do it. How much do you way?
    Close enough, Put the gloves on. ;)
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,220 Moderator
    Port Charlotte is in the 10,000 Islands area of Florida, and is a separate section of this forum.  It has a Need a Crew, Want to Fish section.
    I'd suggest you post in that area and may get lucky

Thanks Jack!
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Port charlotte is in the South West section