Home Boating

Question for (much) older Mckee craft/Boston whaler owners regarding inner foam

sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 158 Deckhand
Just bought a 1884 14' Mckee craft. Hull, floor, and transom are solid, and the boat water tested well. My primary concern is the inner foam which makes it unsinkable being water logged. Consensus seems to run from it's a non issue to drill holes in the floor to let the water out. Since I live in Miami where it rains heavily almost every day and the boat is out in the open should I try and keep it covered, or at this point is this a non issue in the boats life? I'll buy a cover at some point, but I'm just curious on opinions of those who own older model boats of this type that are foam filled. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Weight is the only measurement you can use without tearing up a floor. It really depends on who mounted what, where and was it properly sealed. The exterior should be a good indicator of the life she's led. Any unused mounting holes, especially on the deck, are cause for concern. Another concern for ones that age is the need to use tapping screws. tapping screws can wallow over time and are a weaker type mount. I'm doing a 85 whaler 15 ss and when taking it apart. every cleat had 12 holes in the rail from previous attachments. some had marine tex, others caulk, who knows how long they were open before they got filled. In all there were over 300+ screw holes that needed to be fixed. Some showed signs of the classic, can't get a bite with the proper screw, use a bigger longer one. All of those needed to be back filled with cabosil and epoxy putty. Without the repair, any future attempt to mount anything would be futile or dangerous. I was lucky, this one had been sitting for a couple years and was dry.
    Post up your work, a lot of good knowledge is available thru the forum. If you post as you go you might get some advice that will save you time, money and frustration(lol).

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,343 Officer
    Yep. I once knew a guy who inherited a 14 ft Boston Whaler. The foam was evidently completely saturated with water making the boat so heavy the trailer tires could barely support it despite being filled with air to maximum
    Giimoozaabi