Fish taco

Just wondering what toppings you use, or if it depends on the type of fish you are using

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,805 Captain
    finely shredded cabbage, and a crema sauce made with a mixture of mayo, sour cream, a spash of milk, a squeeze of lime, a squirt of sriracha sauce, some finely chopped cilantro and a little garlic mushed into a paste. If I have a decent avocado, I might slice some or make a chunky guacamole. I prefer the crispy beer battered fish tacos although now and then I will do a grilled version.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• newguy101newguy101 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    conchydong wrote: »
    finely shredded cabbage, and a crema sauce made with a mixture of mayo, sour cream, a spash of milk, a squeeze of lime, a squirt of sriracha sauce, some finely chopped cilantro and a little garlic mushed into a paste. If I have a decent avocado, I might slice some or make a chunky guacamole. I prefer the crispy beer battered fish tacos although now and then I will do a grilled version.

That's what I'm looking for some fresh ideas. Sort of feel sometimes have got into a rut you know good but same o same o. Thanks
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,264 Admiral
    Finely shredded red or green cabbage sprinkled with a little white vinegar then drained, fried or grilled fish - I like them both. Warmed flour tortillas, remoulade (or similar sauce), shredded sharp cheddar, avocado slices, homemade pico de gallo.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    Blackened, grilled, or fried they're all different. Some i prefer corn tortillas some flour. But yea, shredded red cabbage, remoulade sauce, some times chili lime sauce, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, really depends on what i'm in the mood for.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 947 Officer

This, with a little fresh dill.
    I like grilled or light batter fried.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand

My wife does it almost exactly like this, using Crystal hot sauce instead of sriracha. She also makes her own pickled red onion to use as a condiment that really ups the "pop" of vinegar flavor and crunch.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,423 Admiral
    I don't get the whole cabbage thing. Save that for corned beef.

I like beer battered fish, chunky guac with tomatoes and onions, and a sauce I make out of sour cream, jalapeno and lime.

No cheese. Ever. Soft corn tortillas, lightly heated on the skillet. And of course the topper, which to my amazement has not been mentioned....CILANTRO!!
    try mixing mayo with sweet thai chili sauce. Makes an excellent sauce for fish tacos
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Fried or Grilled, cilantro lime sauce, white mexican cheese, cabbage, red pickled onions and some cholula hot sauce.
  • dolfandan66dolfandan66 Posts: 4 Greenhorn

Fresh Pineapple diced finely...about 3/ cup.    Put in strainer, and let the juice drain a bit.  Finely chop  3 Jalapeños and 1 Shallot.  Mix together with about 2 Tbsp of Soy Sauce.  Really good as a topping.  

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,696 Admiral
    I like it basic.  Blackened or jerk fish, shredded cabbage and mayo chipotle sauce.  Absolutely no cheese ever!  

When at a restaurant if the menu says cheese I pass.  I won't even order with no cheese because I figure if cheese is in the ingredients, they don't know what they are doing. 

There are variations I will try as long as there is no cheese, but I like it simple where I the fish remains the star of the show.

I never understood fish tacos until I tried them.  It just sounded weird.  Now it is my go to when eating out and I feel like a self proclaimed fish taco connoisseur.

Captain Todd Approves

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 389 Deckhand
    google chuey's quick sauce. it's great on fish tacos. pretty good as a dip too.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    I'll take a look!

Captain Todd Approves

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,169 Officer
    I've posted this in the Kitchen quite a few times over the past 15 years. It's my recipe for:

Fish Tacos Baja Style

Cut your fish into bite size pieces or sticks

Make the batter - mix dry ingredients first, stir in wet till almost smooth:
    1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, a teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 1 cup beer (Pacifico, Corona, Dos Equis or your favorite mild or non-alcoholic American)

Prepare the sauce - 1/2 cup plain crema ( Mexican "sour cream"), 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 lime (juiced), 1 whole jalapeno pepper, minced (clean seeds and membranes if you're a wimp), 1 teaspoon minced capers, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican if you have it), 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed, 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (use less if you want them milder.) Mix cream & mayo. Add lime juice but not so much it gets runny. Add seasonings, mix well. Refrigerate.

Shred a half head of cabbage (I like it shredded fine, almost like taco bell lettuce)

Now heat a pan of oil to 375

Dust fish in flour, shake off excess, then roll in batter and fry a few minutes, not too long but crispy and golden! Drain on a rack over paper.

Fry 10-12 corn tortillas for 10 - 15 seconds to heat through, don't get them crispy.

Serve tortilla, a few pieces of fish, some cabbage, and the sauce, fold and eat.

I have to serve with guacamole and salsa

Half a dozen of these and I'm done.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

Sounds good.  

The cabbage definitely has to be shredded fine for my taste.  Because its texture is tougher chewier than lettuce.  If it isn't fine enough it really takes away from the tacos. It would be nice if cabbage had more of a lettuce texture.  I wonder if soaking it in something would break it down a little without taking away the flavor.  What you could soak it in to do that, I have no idea.  

Captain Todd Approves

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,169 Officer
    The thing is, it's supposed to be cool, crunchy and fresh for texture and flavor.

That said, you make it the way you like it... you could steam or sautee regular for a few minutes, then refrigerate. Or try a more tender cabbage like Napa, or possibly Savoy.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand

ALMOST word-for-word what the wife does when she makes them.  Mangrove snapper we find is THE best fish to use, and the only thing different we do is she makes quick-pickled red onion slices.  Very easy to do and really adds a nice sour-tart crunch to the taco.  We go back and forth between flour and corn tortillas.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    mplspug said:
    I like it basic.  Blackened or jerk fish, shredded cabbage and mayo chipotle sauce.  Absolutely no cheese ever!  

When at a restaurant if the menu says cheese I pass.  I won't even order with no cheese because I figure if cheese is in the ingredients, they don't know what they are doing. 

There are variations I will try as long as there is no cheese, but I like it simple where I the fish remains the star of the show.

I never understood fish tacos until I tried them.  It just sounded weird.  Now it is my go to when eating out and I feel like a self proclaimed fish taco connoisseur.
    What is with the no cheese, personal preference or some ancient taco taboo I dont know about?

I always liked the "queso fresca" white mexican crumbly cheese.
    we need more internet money
    Personal preference, but I would allow crumbled cheese.  Some places put shredded cheese on them and to me that is just wrong.

Captain Todd Approves

don't care for cheddar, but goat cheese works for me, crumbled in 1/4" chunks.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    found this. going to try it Sunday on the Mothers.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    we did this Sunday and it was great. first time we didn't shred the cabbage fine enough, so we redid it and used it on the fish tacos. really good.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    we did this Sunday and it was great. first time we didn't shred the cabbage fine enough, so we redid it and used it on the fish tacos. really good.
      we also beer batter fried 1/2 the fish and grilled 1/2. both were good.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    i was making hushpuppy mix and dropped a grunt filet in there accidentally.  It was too runny but it fried up awesome. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    mplspug said:
    Personal preference, but I would allow crumbled cheese.  Some places put shredded cheese on them and to me that is just wrong.
    haha 10-4, I agree that is wrong, especially over powers the dish when there is too much and it is still cold!
    we need more internet money
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Man there are too many delicious recipes in here! Going to try a few!
  • ReelthiefReelthief Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    mplspug said:

What is with the no cheese, personal preference or some ancient taco taboo I dont know about?

Think it's an Italian thing. My grandmother (100% Italian) would not let cheese anywhere near the table when she made a fish dish. She said that it was disrespectful to the chef and took away from the flavor of the fish, scungili, calamari, clams...**** now I'm craving blue crab pasta and it's only 10am!!

Reelthief said:
    mplspug said:

Think it's an Italian thing. My grandmother (100% Italian) would not let cheese anywhere near the table when she made a fish dish. She said that it was disrespectful to the chef and took away from the flavor of the fish, scungili, calamari, clams...**** now I'm craving blue crab pasta and it's only 10am!!

I don't put cheese near my seafood dishes either.    But tacos don't count.