Bison gores California woman at Yellowstone National Park

Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,080 AG

Was it her fault or the Bison's fault?  I am guessing the argument would be made it is the Bison's fault.

Kim Hancock, 59, of Santa Rosa, was in a crowd of people walking along a boardwalk at Fountain Paint Pot in the Lower Geyser Basin when the attack occurred, according to a statement from Yellowstone.

People in the crowd got increasingly close to the animal, according to park officials, saying “at one point, people were closer than 15 feet from the bison.” The statement noted that people should keep a distance of roughly 75 feet at least from certain animals including bison and elk, and stay even further away from bears and wolves.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    edited June 13 #2
    How did you get that guess? 

The argument is being made that the person is at fault, and I agree with them.

When you approach a bison too close (or an alligator, or a bear, or a wolf), you are taking your safety into your own hand.

Were you reading a different article than you posted?
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,501 Moderator
    What part of "wild animal" do people not understand?
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,443 Admiral
    Fault lies with the species who has the ability to reason

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,542 Admiral
    If you play stupid games....you win stupid prizes.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,383 Admiral
    But they look so cute and Cuddly..I just want to give them a hug.
    PS , The stuffed Bear you had as a child is nothing like the cute Bear you walk up on in the woods...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    But they look so cute and Cuddly..I just want to give them a hug.
    PS , The stuffed Bear you had as a child is nothing like the cute Bear you walk up on in the woods...
    Anyone with a basic understanding of reality knows the difference between a stuffed bear and an actual bear.    I question some people's intelligence on the most basic level
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,563 Admiral
    I’m glad it happened at Yellowstone and not in Korea or else this thread would disappear.  :*
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,385 Admiral
    I’m glad it happened at Yellowstone and not in Korea or else this thread would disappear.  :*

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Ouch. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Crocodile kills pastor as he baptizes followers near lake

A water baptism ceremony held near a lake turned into a horrific tragedy when the pastor was reportedly grabbed by a crocodile Sunday.

Pastor Docho Eshete was baptizing at least 80 members of his Protestant congregation at Lake Abaya when a croc leaped out of the water and grabbed him.

“He baptized the first person and he passed on to another one,” a local resident told the BBC. “All of a sudden, a crocodile jumped out of the lake and grabbed the pastor.”

Docho died from injuries on his legs, back and hands despite efforts from the congregation, fishermen and residents trying to save him, policeman  Kanko said.

The crocodile escaped as the group used fishing nets to prevent it from taking the pastor’s lifeless body.

First rule of Baptism, check the water.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,419 Captain
    What part of "wild animal" do people not understand?
    A lot of people know wildlife as cartoons teach them...
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing with my "pasta hole" closed :grin !
    Being politically correct is a self-inflicted slavery.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,036 Admiral
    Gardawg said:

Ouch. 
    That kitty was helping her feel the ground for her glasses! Aaahhhh, that’s so precious.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,080 AG
    So if a woman wears provocative, revealing and enticing clothes out close to where the animals are and without any protection it is her fault if she gets attacked?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,793 Captain
    If you play stupid games....you win stupid prizes.    
    Exactly
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,116 Captain
    I'd like to know what ended that thread.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,443 Admiral
    Bikini twisted must have finally had a meltdown.

Captain Todd Approves

• lakemanlakeman Posts: 711 Officer
    I have been within 3-5 feet of a Bison on a snowmobile in Yellowstone, yes scared to death, they were on the road with me and I had to stop and let them go by.  I was motionless, never looked them directly in the eye.  There were other snowmobiles with me also all did the same thing.  However a group of people is a different venue maybe they as noted they were getting too close to the bison, or she was wearing a particular color they reacted to, or something protective in there dna dug in.  
    Wild animals are not like domesticated dogs and cats. While in South Africa we did a walk with some lions, while reasonably safe, we were told what to do how to react and WHAT NOT TO DO, like if you drop something DO NOT PICK IT UP.  let the guides do it and we were within 20 feet of these animals  True they were used to it and people but as the guide said, they are W ILD ANIMALS.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,563 Admiral
    Scared?? 
    Those injuns use to ride up along side them on a horse and shoot them with an arrow!!
     And your on a snowmobile?? :#
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 767 Officer
    I'm just surprised trump didn't get blamed.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,419 Captain
    Gary S said:
    I'm just surprised trump didn't get blamed.
    Wait

Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing with my "pasta hole" closed :grin !
    Being politically correct is a self-inflicted slavery.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 711 Officer
    I have been within 3-5 feet of a Bison on a snowmobile in Yellowstone, yes scared to death, they were on the road with me and I had to stop and let them go by.  I was motionless, never looked them directly in the eye.  There were other snowmobiles with me also all did the same thing.  However a group of people is a different venue maybe they as noted they were getting too close to the bison, or she was wearing a particular color they reacted to, or something protective in there dna dug in.  
    Wild animals are not like domesticated dogs and cats. While in South Africa we did a walk with some lions, while reasonably safe, we were told what to do how to react and WHAT NOT TO DO, like if you drop something DO NOT PICK IT UP.  let the guides do it and we were within 20 feet of these animals  True they were used to it and people but as the guide said, they are W ILD ANIMALS.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    mplspug said:
    Bikini twisted must have finally had a meltdown.
    According to the administrator's post prior to its removal, it wasn't Bimini, but rather the other side of the argument, that caused that thread to go poof.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,538 Captain

I am guessing the argument would be made it is the Bison's fault.

What kind of moron would think it was the Bison's fault?

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,036 Admiral
    In Richmond some years ago, a kid climbed a couple of fences to get near a black bear, the bear bit the kid, kid okay and rescued.
       And they killed that bear.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,080 AG

That rationale is made all the time...
    LOL … I also did the Yellowstone in January snowmobile trip.

On the way back to West Yellowstone after a ride to Ole Faithful  a herd of bison approached from the rear.  I stayed in front of them by about 10 feet. Stupidly close.  Wish I had had a video camera. But I did stay all the way to the right and was prepared to go into the trees if the machine stalled or something.  It was faster than a herd of bison so keeping ahead was no problem.  They followed me about a mile and then made a left and went down to a pasture near the creek. I stopped and watched them flow in a left turn and go down the bank. That was an awesome trip.  Skied Big Sky for two weeks. Some mornings I'd be the only one on the slope.  It was -30 F . Maybe that had something to do with it. Also had a moose follow me down a ski trail.  I didn't wait around for that.  Went into a downhill tuck and sped away. 

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,538 Captain

That rationale is made all the time...
    Wow. That rationale isn't rational. Guess I hang around too many biologists and people with common sense. Never heard anyone blame a wild animal for an attack on a human.