2 down!

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
edited June 12 in General Hunting #1
So, my buddy and I officially removed two enormous exotic invasive snakes this last sunday.  Down in the glades.  Took us 4 and 1/2 hours to hit pay dirt.

We mostly drove the canals but didn't find anything until we got out and started walking around.  It was immediately evident that unless you were to come across a very large snake, mostly stretched out, there was no way you were ever gonna see one driving. Not even slowly, hangin out the window. It makes you wonder why FWC doesn't do the python removal during the winter when these guys will obviously be seeking out the roads.

First snake we found was a moccasin flattened on the road.  Probably been there 2 weeks. Then we saw a crow, sitting on a banister between the road and a canal on 41, with a small snake dangling from it's beak.  We crept up to him in the truck and stopped just before he was about to be spooked.  He set the snake down on the railing and I gunned the truck towards him.  Boom, he flew off leaving the snake behind.  Corn snake.

Finally we were checking out a rock pile and my buddy said he thought he found a nest.  You could clearly see where dead grass had been packed down where something had slithered through.  On either side of this short path, were 2 holes entering the rocks, the same diameter as the width of the path, about 6-8 inches.

I got down and looked into the first hole and immediately saw 2 eggs.  Two large eggs!  Obviously non-native.  I couldn't see a snake but I also didn't want to reach my hand in there!  I wasn't worried about harming them, so I used my homemade snake handling tool to roll them out of the rocky den, to within hands reach. 

When I grabbed the first one, I could feel it moving around inside.  As I set it on the rock, my buddy even said "Oh man!  Look!  It's moving!"

We brought both out to the road so that we could dissect them.  To our amazement, when punctured, a massive amount of yolk and amniotic fluid gushed out.  Not ready to hatch snakes..  I said, "****, we shoulda cooked these bad boys up..."  BUT, they were definitely fertilized and had two small snake embryos.  Which we 'treated.'

So we didn't find any monster pythons on this trip.  But we know were some are breeding.  And we learned something!  It was great to learn that there is actually observable sign for locating nests.  And large snakes in general.  We also took notice that this nest, was at the very top of the rock mound.  The mound was maybe 8-10' above the canal water level.  We hypothesize that these snakes may be seeking out the absolute highest point of land within a given area to nest.

So officially, two removed so far. If only eggs..  Only my first trip!

It was so strange and unexpected to see this come out. I swear it felt like a 6" snake was moving around inside the egg when I picked it up.  Must have been me rolling the egg and all of the fluid inside shifting around.  Weird.

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    cool
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 803 Officer
    Sweet, now you have the bug. Hunting is hunting.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,314 Officer
    Good deal!
  • chasinfinschasinfins Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Where are the highest numbers found at? Everyone says glades but thats prettt vague
    follow me on instagram @woodzandwater
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,371 Officer
    I once got a bunch of GPS data from past collections.  Need to check that box off one day.  Made 2 trips down and just came back with a pic of someone else with a big one and a medium one. 
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    You can see density maps at

That link should take you to the map populated with Burmese Python data (but other wildlife data is accessible).  That map is a little hard to infer specifics from.  As you zoom in/out they group results regionally.  If you download the kml file and use earth, it's much easier to see the specific data points.

The overwhelming majority are found along 41 and krome ave.  Which makes sense.  Easiest place to find them will be on the road (which they are drawn to) and those roads see a LOT of traffic.

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,371 Officer

That is the kind of thing I do all the time. I put the data into more usable forms for me and others.  I also pushed many of the points into the GPS for reference when out in the field. 

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 853 Officer
    If they keep the water high in the glades again this year then the levees and 75 north of krome ave are going to be thick with them. I had always heard about krome but 75 was insane last year from mid December through March. The cold snaps were a guarantee of seeing them on the roads. 

It’s totally out of hand and needs a greater effort on many different levels at this point or we will have grassy lakes devoid of any other wildlife in the Everglades. 
  • shempshemp Posts: 493 Deckhand
    Looking at the map spangler posted, I wonder if many of the sightings in central/north FL are escaped/released pets that will die in a cold spell?

IDK, but I was under the impression the snakes would not survive long term north of USDA zone 10. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    I personally suspect certain species will be able to locate warm enough spots during the winter to effectively 'hibernate' well north of zone 10.

They will seek out heat sources, and there's no lack of that in an urban setting.

My friend and I even discussed using a type of solar powered heat rock to trap them during winter in the glades.