Reddish Brown Water in Pinellas County Areas?

Anyone know what this is? its been very heavy along clearwater/anclote area for the past week or so along the beach's

seems to me to be some sort or algae bloom, its a very thick reddish brown sludge that is ruining the visibility and affecting the fishing along the beach's, there is also a lot of dead sea vegetation washing up on shore with it  

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,196 Moderator
    I think it's a result of a;ll the rain and runoff.  It's in Pasco too
  • rockzillarockzilla Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I was out there on Wednesday in Honeymoon Pass waiting for the tide to star moving out while Tarpon fishing. I really think it is pollen from runoff and nothing to be alarmed with. 
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I was on Indian Rocks sand this evening and thought the same thing. Ugly water, but a couple were doing pretty good surf casting so that’s a good sign. Hopefully it will clear up before I get out mid week.
  • SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Anclote river is black as coffee, it’s all the tannic water from the runoff. Crazy looking
  • GulfWaterNickGulfWaterNick Tarpon SpringsPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Ok Guys So I am new to the Site and did not expect that many replies that quickly so sorry for the late response, after some research and talking with some FWC the verdict is apparently a large amount of bacteria bloom (likely from the rain and run off ) like you guys mentioned but just general heavy snap downpour showers offshore spawning large clouds of brown bacteria and eventually it all made its way to shore and got stuck in the pass area. I fished through the entire week of it so far and had surprising results, I caught 1 snook in the 35" range every single day up until today when things just exploded, I brought a dozen baits, fished the same spots as the days prior, and caught 9 big snook in about 45 minutes, Im not sure if this was related to the brown water starting to clear or if i just got lucky and found a big pod of them but 6 of the fish had bloody looking spots on their back which told me that they were probably swimming around in this stuff the whole time and some of them could have been infected with the bacteria. thanks for the interest and its good to know others notice and care about this stuff, hopefully it clears soon!

rockzilla said:
    I was out there on Wednesday in Honeymoon Pass waiting for the tide to star moving out while Tarpon fishing. I really think it is pollen from runoff and nothing to be alarmed with. 

dude i probably see you out there all the time, im there literally almost every day battling the shnook
    I think it's a result of a;ll the rain and runoff.  It's in Pasco too
    yea but Pasco's always nasty lol...
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,252 Captain
    Trichodesmium is generally non-toxic and doesn't harm fish. There is little evidence that runoff or pollution has anything to do with blooms. They seem to be influenced by iron brought in from atmospheric dust carried in from the Sahara Desert. 

Now here's the bad news: Trichodesmium fixes nitrogen into a form that can be used by the red tide organism, k. brevis. Trichodesmium blooms often precede red tide outbreaks and the two organisms often co-occur.

I sure hope that I'm wrong, but the persistent west winds, unusually clear offshore water, and a trichodesmium bloom are starting to look a lot like 2014 all over again.