Head Count Tax

stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
edited June 12 in Off Topic #1
Didn't last long.  Seattle called a special meeting for tomorrow to repeal it & it hasn't even went into effect yet.  Amazon & Starbucks got a lot of pull.

Replies

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,784 Captain
    One of these days government will learn that taxes are never the answer. 

Seattle sounds hundreds of millions want year trying to"solve" homelessness. They could but the homeless a house instead. It's cheaper
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,065 Captain
    Wait, doesn't Seattle have a $15.00 minimum "living wage" in effect? And it still needs to come up with new taxes? But I'm sure I read on the internet that the new higher wage would get everyone out of poverty. Mean old Amazon, pushing for a repel of a tax that would solve the homeless problem. I would like to,see where the 68 mil they spent last year actually went. I'd bet less than 10-15% actually put food in people's mouths, or shelters over their heads. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    nothing but graft & big salaries.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,823 AG
    The issue I have with these kind of programs, finding housing for the homeless in their town and being "homeless friendly"  is you make the homeless problem worse.

The majority of the homeless don't want a job or attempt to work. I know this for a fact since I and a couple of other business owners have hired one or two in the past. They will work a week or two, but the alcohol is more important than a job.

If you offer them free housing and other benefits, they will move to your city to get what they can live free and drink to their hearts content. I don't mind helping those who are helping themselves or are unable to work, but this group does not want to help themselves. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,430 Officer
    Cost of living is crazy, no way I would live there.  Maybe if living costs were reasonable people wouldn't be homeless.  The median house, according to city data, is 606k.....  no wonder people don't have a home, that is almost 3x the cost of my house.  
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,423 Admiral
    You guys need to pay attention to what is going on in the Keys. And I’m not talking about the homeless. It’s the middle class and affordable housing that is a huge problem 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    They repealed the tax 7-2.  A done deal.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,430 Officer
    You guys need to pay attention to what is going on in the Keys. And I’m not talking about the homeless. It’s the middle class and affordable housing that is a huge problem 
    The cost of living on the water in Florida is ridiculous.  I'm considering north carolina over Florida simply because of price.  
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,065 Captain
    cadman said:
    The issue I have with these kind of programs, finding housing for the homeless in their town and being "homeless friendly"  is you make the homeless problem worse.

The majority of the homeless don't want a job or attempt to work. I know this for a fact since I and a couple of other business owners have hired one or two in the past. They will work a week or two, but the alcohol is more important than a job.

If you offer them free housing and other benefits, they will move to your city to get what they can live free and drink to their hearts content. I don't mind helping those who are helping themselves or are unable to work, but this group does not want to help themselves. 

I pulled up to dozens over the years and offered them a job for a day or more. Paying $10.00 an hour cash. Been turned down everytime. But they always try to get me to give them money. My answer is the same as theirs. 
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,005 AG
    kellercl said:
    The cost of living on the water in Florida is ridiculous.  I'm considering north carolina over Florida simply because of price.  
    Depends where you are in your life... income taxes are high but otherwise it is inexpensive in all but Orange County. Property taxes are very low.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,193 Admiral
    Cad nailed it..
    Most of these folks are homeless because they want to be. No responsibility's, No House or car payments , No Responsibility's...Life is ok to them.
    You build them housing for 1000 in 2 years you'll have thousands more...Don't do it.
    Let them eat cake..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,005 AG
    Cad nailed it..
    Most of these folks are homeless because they want to be. No responsibility's, No House or car payments , No Responsibility's...Life is ok to them.
    You build them housing for 1000 in 2 years you'll have thousands more...Don't do it.
    Let them eat cake..
    There are those that will forever want someone else to support them. Which is why the basic income idea will be a complete failure.