Making a cast net...

GermzSpreadGermzSpread Broward CountyPosts: 7 Greenhorn
I've started working on my very first cast net... I have no experience whatsoever in making or mending cast net. I bought a small book on it... I'll include a picture of it... and I bought my needle shuttles on Amazon, and my line in eBay. What really made me want to do this was the simple fact of not wanting to spend $100 on a net when I could make one for 20 or 30 bucks, also I could not find any braided cast nets. Hence why I decided to make it out of braid... little did I know that this is going to take a very long time. I'm using 28 lb. Braided rainbow line. It's five different colors and every 10 meters starts a new color. I figure if I do 3 colors a day, I'll be done in 60 days. 
If you can't explain it simply enough... then you don't know it well enough. -A.E.

Replies

• GermzSpreadGermzSpread Broward CountyPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    If you can't explain it simply enough... then you don't know it well enough. -A.E.
  • RockslamRockslam Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Goodluck man, I don't have the skill or patience to try that. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    edited June 4 #4
    Dude, I hope making it into net does away with the horrible spontaneous rat's nest knotting that happens with braid.  And doesn't exaggerate it.  You are either onto something amazing or disastrous. lol

There may be some benefit to the stretch of mono too, idk.

Def interesting and cool!  Looking forward to seeing it turn out.
    The stretch does have benefits... that being said the brail lines will be made out of mono line. As far as rat nests I'm not sure but I ran into some knot slippage in the beginning rows so I added a square not at the end of each mesh but found out I only had to do it with the first three rows. 

• oldmanjoeoldmanjoe Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    That net is looking good .   What is the mesh size ?   How big are you looking to make ?
     By now you must have mussel memory and the tying will go faster  .
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    How are you getting it done for so cheap? Braid is expensive! 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,375 Admiral
    I think your Crazy..but have to admit it's pretty cool.
    Not many fishermen can say I made this net...Rock On.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • gheftyghefty Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Very cool project, the pics of the mesh so far look consistent and professional. Please keep us posted on your progress. 

• Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Very cool project. I re-tied a lead line on a net once, after that I figured out cast nets are way underpriced for the work that goes in them. 
    I actually just started making my mesh smaller... I went from 1inch to 1/2 inch. I'll post a picture once I get a few more rows on it. But this means it will take me twice as much time. I also decided to make it a 6 foot net so it will be easier to throw from a kayak when I get one. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    That is super cool.  I'm surprised nobody has started to commercially produce cast nets made out of braid -- I'd guess there is a market for them.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,349 Captain
    Cool and great looking work.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    Idk if there is a market for it... I did the math and I would have to sell this net for around 2 grand to be worth the time I'm going to put into it. And thanks for the compliments guys... this is my first net but I am a perfectionist at things I try to do so it feels good hearing that you guys like it. 
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    Really cool, that should sink like a rock with braid. Props for the work and trying braid.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • VikingViking Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    Nice work so far!  Hope it works well for you.
  • alibooaliboo Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    i tried that last year, you are a lot further along than i ever got. i worked off and on for a few weeks and then a squirrel ran by and off to something else.  i'm pretty good at mending the shrimp nets now after ripping holes but as far as making a net, ha. cant beat wally world, just buy a new one each year and go fishing.  plus, you need one for bait shrimp, one for mullet, one for shrimping, one for pogies, one for  ... i would have been 105 years old before i got them all made. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    Any update?  Is it coming along?
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    Yes, yes!  Anxious to see the final product ;)
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 395 Deckhand
    My dad used to make them years ago.  Took him about 3 months to make an 8ft with 1" mesh. I think he used 20lb mono except for the last foot which was 40lb. 100 lb for the draw strings.  Melted lead tire weights down on an old coleman camp stove to make the weights. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,159 Officer

I once read years ago that there were two talents that if you mastered them, you could find work in any friendly country that had a coast on the ocean. 

Diesel engine repair and making cast nets.
    and now I suppose you could add outboard repair... 

Giimoozaabi