Trans Am bicycle race 2018

mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,750 Captain
edited June 9 in Off Topic #1
A cross country race from Astoria, Oregon to Yorktown, Va..
Unlike the European races such as the Italian Giro d'Italia or the French Tour de France...to race here, you must agree to do it completely unsupported, you get help from no one. If you get help, you have forfeited or quit.
4300 miles long, this race is in it's 6th day.
The leader, a 50 year old man from California, has averaged over 260 miles a day...for 6 days. He is 40 miles ahead of the Swiss racer a 45 year old. Last years winner completed the race in 17 days and 9 hours. In 2014 the winner started the race and did not stop riding for 36 hours, no one was able to catch him, he ate and drank while riding. Sleeping on the ground for a few hours then getting on his bike and riding another 200-300 miles.

I cannot imagine what it would take to ride 260 miles in a week. I would probably need a month to recover if I was able to completely recover. But to ride 200 plus miles a day, for 17 days is nothing short of incredible.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj

Replies

• silvergsilverg Posts: 1,455 Officer
    I've done 100 mile days (easy rides, no 14% grades) and am spent for a couple of days.  The tour guys and the guys in your post amaze me.  Of course, I am also a casual rider carrying several unnecessary extra pounds around.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,845 Captain
    I'm tired after a 300 mile day touring on my motorcycle.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 767 Officer
    I hate coming up on a group of bike people down here, You can't get by them they take the entire road, they blow thru stop signs.
     But I do admire these guys ability.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,164 Officer
    I have done 500 miles over 6 days and it took a week to recover.  I can't begin to imagine doing this 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,495 Moderator
    Averaging 260 miles per day over multiple days is an impressive feat. 
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,498 Captain
    My middle son does it.    They ride from Albany to Cape San Blas often.  They don't ride regular bikes my sons cost $2k used.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,495 Moderator
    I paid $90.00 for my first car.

Image result for renault 1950

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Flats2blueFlats2blue Posts: 229 Deckhand
    The Trans Am and the Race Across America riders are truly amazing.  Another unbelievable feat was done just north of Tampa last year.  Amanda Coker rode 237 miles a day average for an entire year.   She holds the world record for one year mileage at 86,573.  What impressed me most is she did those miles every day, including the summer oppressive heat/humidity in the Tampa area.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Coker

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,750 Captain
    edited June 11 #10
    The Trans Am and the Race Across America riders are truly amazing.  Another unbelievable feat was done just north of Tampa last year.  Amanda Coker rode 237 miles a day average for an entire year.   She holds the world record for one year mileage at 86,573.  What impressed me most is she did those miles every day, including the summer oppressive heat/humidity in the Tampa area.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Coker

What? That's unbelievable.
    If you do the math...it's at least 12 hours a day if you average 20 mph and 25 mph on the second to last day.
    That's a very unpleasant year....in my opinion.

I have to think ones **** looks like a catchers mitt after that endeavor.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Need a pretty good sponsor to pay for your life while you bike around?
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,750 Captain
    edited June 11 #12
    dave44 said:
    Need a pretty good sponsor to pay for your life while you bike around?

Could be financially secure from a law suit. She was hit by a car back in 2011.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain

Some people are just gluttons for punishment, my hat is off to them.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    This kind of race is akin to the "dead zone" in high altitude climbing. You can't get enough rest or food (and o2 at altitude) to sustain your body and your body deteriorates and you would die if you continue on too long.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg