" Cobia Tournament" Homosassa 2018

Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,825 Captain

It's that time of the year and we were poised and ready to fish. Crew included one of my best friends from down south, Rich from Ft Lauderdale. I think that they had filled all 200 boats, so it was shaping up to be another exciting two days. Start was the same old hold your number up, get called and head down the gauntlet.
My poling platform is used only for that one purpose! LOL Found something for Rich to do right away.

Headed down the gauntlet, but the sheriff was out front leading the way. Everybody was at their best behavior. Nice.

Okay the fishing. Headed out to 17ft with four dozen nice fat pinfish. One major amount of chum, frozen blocks and a lot of dry bag chum. Found some nice rocky bottom and started the chum flowing. It wasn't long and we had the bait. Now it was just wait and see if those cobias came around. Had a chum basket down 6 to 7ft and I think that's what got the groupers fired up. They started hammering the pinfish. A lot of 23in fish! We can't buy a legal grouper in shallow. Know they are there but we can't seem to get them at all. Finally rod goes
 off and starts heading out instead of down!. A cobia. Land it and decide he gets a tag and we send him on his way.

Bite is going strong and then its gets interesting. Storm springs up right behind us. We stay at anchor, which is okay. Anchor is holding  and we are riding it out in good shape. Just getting bounced around a lot. One of us gets bounced into the switch board and turns on a switch that ran all the juice from the battery. We didn't know it at the time. We started fishing and the bite is now on fire. Gail hooks a cobia and after a nice show has her a legal one to take home. 

Things settle down and we realize no power. Short story, flagged down a boat(thank you a lot) after going thru a lot of flares. Jumped us and we were in. 
     Sunday had us ready to head out again, but with a few additions to my boat bag. Got one of the best battery boost boxes I could find. Learned a few things and will be better prepared. Anchored up on same rocks. But, this time, no matter how much chum we put in the water, no action? Sharks did make a drive by, but not even much action from them even. I did catch one more cobia that we released at the boat. Saw storms starting to build again and being gun shy from Saturday, we pulled anchor and headed for the bar at McCreas. Got to the board and found out a 14 year old young man had caught a 52 lb fish and he went on to be the "Cobia Master" of this year celebration.

The forum had some excellent members out and fishing this year. Two of the past "Cobia Masters", pervious winners, Capt Louie and Butchbal were out chasing fish. Saturday and Sunday we did get to see Hammerhead Ted, Justin, Capt. Duane, Doc, aka Burke, and if I missed any, chime in. Like usual, it was a fun time, and the party continued into the night. We caught fish, had some (don't want it again) memorable moments. Over all we had a good time and enjoyed the two day event!! Enjoy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,331 Captain
    Good dill, sounds like a great time, all thing considered.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 402 Deckhand
    Pictures and report spot on, as usual.  Glad you found the cobia.  As in all sports, "just wait 'till next year"!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 532 Officer
    Excellent report as always.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,404 Moderator
    Nice post Ruff..  Yeah , I mirrored the action up around Crystal river. Two short cobia , one 26' keeper grouper and fought a 7' tiger shark Saturday for awhile. Cool looking critter. Pretty slow for the most part.
    "You'll get your weather"