LWI last two weeks: Thanks LAST MANGO

Wish I posted more as I appreciate the reports.  Kudos to LAST MANGO for his "approach" post.   If we had more "how to posts" this site would be much more enjoyable.  I fish much like him.   Last two weeks the snapper bite has been off the chain.  Fishing just off the condos on one spot.  Here is the set up:

50 lb leader with 3/0 circle seas hooks
Cast net caught 3 inch greenies
4 oz lead
lets just say "my spot"  Fished one drop spot for all then circled back.  No anchor.

Day one:  2 ppl (including me) 20 ytail and mangrove total
Day two:  Solo:  2 ytail, 6 mangrove, 1 30 inch black grouper, porgy
Day 3:  2 ppl 20 snapper including tail, mangrove, schoolmaster, lane for a slam
Day 4 today:  Solo. 8 ytail, 2 mangrove.  Lost a cobia at the boat.  It was close to size so didn't want to gaff it.  Tried for 30 minutes to somehow get it in.  Broke off.  The kicker is that I ordered a collapsible net on amazon and it comes in tomoorow. really?    

In addition countless randoms; rainbow runners, shark cut offs, barracuda, small african pompano, grunts, one file fish and a talley.  

Cheers!!!

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 321 Deckhand
    Excellent work!

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    How do you bottom fish a wreck without an anchor or trolling motor?  Any wind or current and you can’t keep the line up and down.  

I need to to learn more about bottom fishing.  I hate the hassle of the anchor and Pelagics are hit and miss for me.
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 328 Deckhand
    Crushed it!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand
    Nice catch and post.....
  • ASK KNOTASK KNOT Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Qotsaautopilot:  All I can say is drift goes north.  i pull up from the north going south to my set up spot and put in reverse until the boat drifts with the currant.  Hit bottom straight up and down and fish on.  I don't let it sit to long or it drags and catches the spot.   Good luck.   
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 609 Officer
    nice work!  
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,008 Officer
    edited June 11 #8
    Can you tell me water depth? Im getting down Sunday for the week. I usually wont bottom fish inside of 50 feet but I keep hearing about a good bite in 25-30.
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    “ If we had more "how to posts" this site would be much more enjoyable.”
    Thats exactly what I think. I’ve just come back to this forum after years of avoiding it.. my threads were scrutinized and criticized when all I wanted to do was spread information about what’s biting and how I caught it. This needs to be a Judgment Free Zone. Just facts, no drama or opinions...ASK KNOT please continue to post your catches and share your knowledge. You’re doing a good thing 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 385 Deckhand
    Grate job 
  • flrangerflranger Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Hell of a nice black, what did you catch that on?  
  • ASK KNOTASK KNOT Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Thanks JUSTINTIME.  Water depth is 75  to 90.. Find structure.   The grouper:  He hit a chicken rig with dead greenies on a 4/0 circle sea hook.  Not sure if he ate the 3 inch greenie or a drunt ate the greenie and he ate the grunt but I ate him.  
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 354 Deckhand
    lol food chain in action! great post and pretty fish, well done.
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 687 Officer
    Barrell said:
    Can you tell me water depth? Im getting down Sunday for the week. I usually wont bottom fish inside of 50 feet but I keep hearing about a good bite in 25-30.

John he’s fishing out of LWI so it completely different deal. Their 80’ reef is about the same distance from shore as our 12’-15’ reef that drops to 25’.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 148 Deckhand
    edited June 15 #15
    Good report, nice black!