Where to find permit off Sanibel/Fort Myers Beach?

I recently upgraded to a bay boat and would love to catch some permit. Can anyone point me in the right direction, maybe which public #'s are worth giving some time or how far offshore is ideal? Any info would be much appreciated. I will gladly take a ride along if someone wants to show me how it's done as well. 

Replies

• BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    They are on public numbers.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,886 Captain
    I don't have any #'s that far south but look at any of the county reef lists.  You are looking for structure and relief.  the more the better.  Most of the public reefs should be holding right now.  Crab flush should be this week as well so go net a bunch of quarter to half dollar size crabs and give it a go.

Tight lines.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • billfshrbillfshr Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    The pace reef had them not long ago.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 507 Officer
    Well, I found em, they were all around the boat, but no takers... Am I doing something wrong? I was using a 10' leader of 30 lb fluoro to a 3/0 circle and a silver dollar sized pass crab, one on the surface one with a splitshot. Seems like they came right up to me and then vanished never to be seen again.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,886 Captain
    Could lower the leader to 20 and maybe a 2/0 hook but other than that, sounds like you were doing the right things.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 335 Deckhand

Permit bite was off on Sunday for me... didn’t get one bite. Maybe it’s the red tide. 

Not trying to insults but are you sure it was permit? There are big schools of Atlantic spade fish out there as well, and if you didn’t get a good look it could be easily mistaken for school of perms. 

You did everything right, shrimp work as well as crab, perhaps give them that option next time. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,796 Captain
    Offshore has larger Permit, but they can be found inshore if you know where to look.