How many of you use a 12 V pump to top off your boat's fuel tank after a day on the water ?

The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,158 Officer

Since I only use non ethanol gas in my 4 stroke Suzuki I seldom require more then 10-15 gallons of fuel to top off the boat’s tank.  I NEVER tow the boat into a gas station since the recreational gas stations in my area are NOT close to my normal routes between ramps and the house. Secondly, I only fish on weekdays so I would hit rush hour as well which means I might have to wait quite a while before I could get the boat up to a recreational gas pump.  So what I do a few days after I have used the boat is to employ a 12 V Holly electrical  pump to empty two or three jerry jugs into the boat’s tank. To power the pump I use a jump battery to avoid connections that might spark. In other words, all I have to do is turn a switch AFTER I connect the pump’s alligator clips to the battery’s jumpers. (No sparks are created in this manner). The Holly (Red Label model) will pump out a five gallon jug in just three minutes, so my refueling takes less than 20 minutes including setup and breakdown.

Giimoozaabi

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,518 Moderator
    You have more nerve than I  do. Just  one spark yikes.  My tank holds 82 gallons and boat is in the water, so i have to carry multiple plastic gas cans. I use a rubber siphon hose,it is fast no mess. I got mine from Lowes many years ago I think Harbor Freight may have them also. 
    larrywitt
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,653 Captain
    If you are only refilling 15 gallons.a trip, I would stick with gravity or a manual pump unless you have a really, really trustworthy, high dollar electric pump. I know nothing about the Holly but it does not seem any faster than gravity feed from 5 gallon Jerry Jugs. If you had diesel, that that is a different story.
    Good luck and be safe.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,844 Captain
    I agree. Just pour it in if only 15 gallons. 
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    I do. The main fuel hose is collapsed on my boat so I use a 1/4" Neoprene hose connected to a small elec fuel pump I got off Ebay. I connect the pump to a spare trolling motor battery using circle connectors and wingnuts. I also use an on/off switch on the positive wire. No sparks ever, it just turns on and off. The hose from the pump outlet generally is about 5 ft from the filler neck. The battery and the fuel jug sit on a portable bench next to the boat. It's safe and works well taking approx five to seven minutes to empty a 5 gal jug. I keep the boat full and after a day out I rarely need more than 10 gals and most of the time 5 fills it back it up. I'v been doing this since buying the boat a couple of years ago. I should also mention it works well for me as the boat sits in my garage. I actually keep two 5 gal jugs full of non ethanol sitting on a top shelf out of the way. Once emptied when out and about I just refill them, no different to gas for lawn tractor.  
    image-logo.png
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,158 Officer

To pour the gas in I would have to climb a ladder with a full jug of gas or transfer smaller amounts into a bucket, since my catamaran trailer sits high off the ground. With gravity pouring or even manual pumping there would be more chance a static electrical spark. (Friction creates static electrical charges)

How do you think the professionals clean out and scrub fuel tanks?  They employ electrical pumps.

The Holly's are top of the line electrical fuel pumps. The red label model retails for $120. They make a higher volume model (black label) that will pump 140 gal per hour. That pump retails for close to $190

Giimoozaabi
    I forgot to mention that i use long 5/16 inch hoses so i can position the jump battery several feet away from the boat and the jerry jug.  I don;t even smell fumes like when I am gasing up one of my vehicles at a gas station.  Static electrical charges are the main reason for fires at gas stations. You should always ground out a fuel nozzle to tground before filling up a boat.  
    Giimoozaabi
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,007 Officer
    Dude, Just get some gas cans!!!!!!
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 766 Officer
    I transport aviation fuel for my airboat from airport. Usually I need to put in less than 15 gallons. I use what we call a jerk off hose. Put the bass higher than the tank . Stick the hose in tank and put the side with the pump on it in the can and jerk it up and down a few strokes and the gas flows.
    Barrell said:
    Dude, Just get some gas cans!!!!!!
    That is what i use. i own about six (Jerry jugs) of them for fuel storage for two generators. The best ones i have are the old six gallon types that are no longer manufactured in the USA. 

Giimoozaabi
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,341 Captain
    Kit
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    Giimoozaabi
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 259 Deckhand
    The vp gas jug is the way to go. The white jugs you can see the fuel level in. I also use a Holley fuel pump for transferring fuel.