Ozello Kayak Fishing - Sunday, June 10, 2018

HalonHalon Posts: 135 Deckhand

Met my son in law and purchased 50 live shrimp from a local tackle shop. It was a busy place at 06:00 hours. Probably because of the Cobia Tournament this weekend.

Arrived at the Pirates Cove launch at 06:20. Clouds north near the power plant looked threatening. We discussed our plan of action. Decided to slowly off load and prepare the yaks for launch. By the time we were ready to launch, the ugly clouds moved further away.

Since the weather is unpredictable now, we will stay close to the launch. I paddled toward the natural channel to the north. Hooked a shrimp below a rattle cork and cast it toward the mangrove island. Wedged rod between my legs.

Rigged a soft plastic weedless with an 1/8-ounce weight. Cast into the outgoing current. Bump, bump, bump off the bottom. Continued the drift outward repeating the casting and bumping off the bottom with the shrimp rig floating with me. Every once in a while, the cork would rattle. Probably because baitfish tapping at the shrimp below.

Okay, where did my cork go? FISH on! Not much of a fight. Small catfish. Used my pliers to clamp down on the hook and flipped the catfish to release the hook. Replaced shrimp and sent the rig back out.

More drifting. Caught another catfish. Shortly after a small bluefish. Next was a 2-1/2’ bonnethead shark. I caught two short speckled trout out away from the islands.

Within sight, a cormorant and an osprey captured their meals. All the catching activity occurred as the tide changed to a rising tide, within a forty-five minute span.

More casting, bumping and snapping of the bait. No more hook ups.

Most of the time fishing was apart from my fishing partner. We met up and discussed our previous activity. He said about all he caught were rocks. I guess my time on the water was more successful.

A storm with lightning and thunder was building and looked like it was getting worse. This would be a good time to move toward the launch site. We decided to head in.

We were back on land by 10:30 hours.

It’s become a tradition to have lunch at the conscience store/restaurant in Ozello. Good food and some place to socialize.

Another fantastic day on the water! Yea buddy, life is awesome!!!

Halon

Replies