Your home improvement project?

Replies

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,624 Admiral
    SAENole said:
    I'm never at home long enough to do anything.  
    Same here. And if I am home, my yard is always way behind on something.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,455 Officer
    I used to be handy with equipment things (farm equipment stuff) when younger but never any kind of wood work or anything construction. But, I found out as I get older, it's waaaaay cheaper for me to go to work and pay somebody to do what I need done. If not, I waste my time trying to do whatever it is and then have to pay somebody to come and straighten out what I messed up. Thankfully, I always have something to work on at the office. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,384 Admiral
    you never know what you'll find in the wall of a house

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • td.td. Posts: 4,695 Captain
    Parkerboy said:
    My wife would NEVER allow me to personally do a home improvement project
    Why not?

Update on the cabinet install -- I cut the countertops last night with a jig saw and downward toothed blade.  Now to try to get the cuts straight enough so the seam is tight.....
    If it's a mid counter seam, do an overlap cut on a table saw of both halves at the same time.  Not easy to manage, C-clamps are your friend, along with open space.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    ****, that's a great idea.  I have both and will give it a try.   Thank you.
    ****, that's a great idea.  I have both and will give it a try.   One challenge is there's a built in backsplash of about 4", but I should be able to hand cut that easily enough. 
    That's a great idea.  I have both space and c-clamps.  Thank you.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 767 Officer
    Parkerboy said:
    My wife would NEVER allow me to personally do a home improvement project, she is more than happy for me to pay for them however. We have within the last 12 months had the interior repainted, removed 3 sliding glass doors and replaced with French doors, had all carpet removed and replaced with tile and all windows replaced. Painters are scheduled to be here Monday to begin painting the exterior of the house and I have the sales person for a whole house generator scheduled for Tuesday. After this she says I need to have the HVAC system upgraded.
    I would never admit my wife won't let me do something.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,803 Admiral
    I blame it on her but the truth is I hate doing that kind of crap and much prefer calling someone who does it for a living and write them a check.

I have a small collection of automobiles and enjoy working on them but detest home diy stuff. 
    Deo Vindice
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,375 Admiral
    I hate working on vehicles , but like Home repairs...wish we were neighbors..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator
    In 1982, I purchased a house that was built in 1932 in Homestead and started to remodel it, piece by piece, room by room, stripping the numerous coats of paint, replacing rotten wood, refinishing floors, etc.  I was almost finished when Andrew hit and blew out every window in the home and ruined all the work I had done.  Well, to get a permit to rebuild it, one needed a set of plans that the insurance company would not pay for, but the Historic Preservation Assoc got some funds, and I had to go thru a grant process, then a bid process to get the plans drawn, and then brought up to code.  This took almost 1 1/2 years. With a permit in hand, I started the rebuild with a friend, replaced all the windows, wood and carpet floors, entire kitchen and bathroom, much of the wall plaster, ceiling plaster (this was wood lathe and 2 coat plaster - not drywall), painted the entire exterior (2 1/2 stories), fireplace and AC.  The house turned out as a showplace.   I also built my pole barn when I first moved in, and rebuilt it after Andrew.
    That was 25 years ago and at my current age, I' would not even attempt half of it.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 767 Officer
    Jack I know your pain, I had a cedar A frame house before Andrew. It didn't make it thru the storm. I built a new CBS home in it's place. Andrew either blew down or killed every tree on the 1 1/2 acre lot. I cut down 160 pine trees.
     Building and zoning was a pain to deal with, rules were changing daily. If you could get to the person you needed to talk to it would go quick, but getting to him was near impossible.
     Funny thing about pole barn, half of mine blew away, the half my boats were in was fine, along with the room my fishing tackle was in. Guess the lord knew I was going to need them.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,273 AG
    Owned a large high-end wood shop for over two decades and did it all.

Now retired and too old so just read about the adventures of others.

:):smile:
    I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA
    Baits, have you looked into Youtube woodworking videos?  There's a wealth of information there on woodworking (and everything else).  Have fun...Mike
    Baits, have you looked into Youtube woodworking videos?  There's a wealth of information there on woodworking (and everything else).  Have fun...Mike
    Probably don't need to.

Am twice internationally published as one of the best furniture designers and custom builders.

Also an overseas associate of the British Guild of Master Craftsman.

Not bragging; just a fact.

:)
    I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

edited June 10 #47
    Ease up, brother.  I just thought you'd be interested, as you said these days you just read about it.  Those are impressive credentials.   :)

I just bought my first table saw.  I'm not fearful of much, but I must admit that thing has me a bit intimidated. 

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator
    Gary S said:
    Jack I know your pain,
     Building and zoning was a pain to deal with, rules were changing daily. If you could get to the person you needed to talk to it would go quick, but getting to him was near impossible.
     Funny thing about pole barn, half of mine blew away, the half my boats were in was fine, along with the room my fishing tackle was in. Guess the lord knew I was going to need them.
    B&Z was a real pain.  I took before and after pix to the county and told them I wanted to rebuild it the way it was (never pulled a permit before I originally built it.  Andrew took the roof off and broke some of the 4x6 cedar poles.  Stalls, workshop and boat storage were still good. They said I needed plans and engineer study.  I said "catch me" and rebuilt it. I did pull electrical permit for the rebuild.  Barn is still standing!!
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,750 Captain

Baits Out said:
    Probably don't need to.

Am twice internationally published as one of the best furniture designers and custom builders.

How many fingers do you have?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj

Baits Out said:
    Probably don't need to.

All, fortunately. 

The only time I yelled at my guys was when they were doing something dangerous without proper protection.

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,384 Admiral
    Baits Out said:

Baits Out said:
    Probably don't need to.

All, fortunately. 

The only time I yelled at my guys was when they were doing something dangerous without proper protection.

We need pictures. JK … would love to see some of your work.

There are some very talented people on here.  That guy in Sarasota who builds the LEED homes comes to mind.  The NC Carolina guy who just finished his house in the mountains.  

BTW … my contribution to the bath remodel was limited to some of the tear out.  The easy part at that!
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,164 Officer
    We live in a townhouse so we don't have to have any "Home Improvement Projects".
    This allows us more time to spend with the kids diving, fishing, camping, traveling, sports etc. .
    I Hand Dug a Septic Tank last year at my Camp in the pouring Rain..and the Bride said I was crazy..Asked her if I should do it in the Blazing Sun..
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,186 Captain
    We live in a townhouse so we don't have to have any "Home Improvement Projects".
    This allows us more time to spend with the kids diving, fishing, camping, traveling, sports etc. .
    Dang Conchy, the rest of us wish we could be as good of parents as you. My kids are 21-35, and got their own protects. I managed to spend more than a little time on the water, and in the woods, along with doing stuff my wife wants to do, a still get the projects done. Fourty plus years of experience makes it go a little faster than it would for most folks.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,164 Officer
    edited June 11 #55
    pottydoc said:
    Dang Conchy, the rest of us wish we could be as good of parents as you. My kids are 21-35, and got their own protects. I managed to spend more than a little time on the water, and in the woods, along with doing stuff my wife wants to do, a still get the projects done. Fourty plus years of experience makes it go a little faster than it would for most folks.
    Happy for you!! WE have no desire for a large house, land and the projects that go with it. Our kids are 11 and 14. The boats in the water 24/7 ,behind our place, and and I never had to worry about honey do list.  This works for us. To each his own. Gotta run need to clean some fish from this morning trip. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,001 AG
    I owned a townhouse in my 20's. It was larger sgft than my current house. I put tile in the kitchen, master bath and dining room. Also painted the entire interior. Has new carpet installed as well. 

If you live in any house or condo you own, sooner or later it needs work. You either do it or pay more for someone else to do it. 

Do trade in your Condo every seven years or so before it needs a new coat of paint or carpet? 

Mini Mart Magnate

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,186 Captain
    cadman said:
    I owned a townhouse in my 20's. It was larger sgft than my current house. I put tile in the kitchen, master bath and dining room. Also painted the entire interior. Has new carpet installed as well. 

If you live in any house or condo you own, sooner or later it needs work. You either do it or pay more for someone else to do it. 

Do trade in your Condo every seven years or so before it needs a new coat of paint or carpet? 
    Cad, Conchy's house is special? It doesn't ever need repairs. Or, he just doesn't give a crap, and is letting it fall down around him. CC, even with you living on the water, I doubt you spend more hours on the water than I do in the woods and on the water combined.  Just the fact that you have two younger kids would prevent it. He thread is about household projects. If you got nothing to add, why don't you go post somewhere else. We don't really give a dang if you do projects or not. 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,750 Captain
    I Hand Dug a Septic Tank last year at my Camp in the pouring Rain..and the Bride said I was crazy..Asked her if I should do it in the Blazing Sun..
    Why wasn't she digging? Idle hands are the devils workshop....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
    She was pretending to make Dinner...
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    I have spent many many hours leaning over a table saw, pulling on a radial arm saw pushing or pulling on a router, my hearing is shot, built lots of stuff for lots of people, almost nothing for myself. Dam it man.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    Stucco, paint, roof, garage shelves, driveway resurface, and sod. Will probably pay for everything but the paint and shelves. Been procrastinating thinking I would do it myself but by the time I acquire the tools, etc it's just not worth it. Not to mention I have to YouTube all of it.