St. Augustine Inlet Shore Fishing 6/16/18

I'm planning to fish the Vilano side of the inlet this Saturday, near the rocks. First time going here. Anyone have a little advice for a newer salt water fisherman? (I grew up freshwater fishing). I read a report recently that there are lots of Spanish around there. Anything else worth targeting and what bait do y'all recommend? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Replies

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 338 Deckhand
    If you are after Spanish, just troll or throw silver spoons.  My son and I tooled around the inlet a few weeks back trolling silver spoons and hooked up a bunch of Spanish.  Two rods out, no weights, trolling 3 to 4 mph.  Easy peasey and fun.  Use your lighter rods.  If you have braid, I tie a 30 pound 3 foot florocarbon leader to the braid with an FG knot.  I never need wire for Spanish. The hook being in the back probably avoids cut offs.  I use silver krocodile spoons.  West marine and strike zone have them, get the bigger ones.  
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Got it. Thank you for the tips. I just went and bought a couple silver spoons as I heard that is what they are after. Ironically, I purchased exactly what you said to buy. Lucky me. I'm honestly after about anything I can put on the table that is good. Spanish, Reds, Flounder, Sheepshead. I'm going to try a long line cut mullet on the bottom and toss the silver spoon and see what I come up with. I'll probably also mix in a jig shrimp so we'll see. 

Unfortunately I'm bound to the shore right now but after the first of the year, I'll own my first boat so watch out!

Thank you again.  
    Shrimp won't last long along the rocks right now as there are a ton of bait stealers - mostly pinfish and small jacks.  A live mullet might get you a nice flounder or red.  Summer is always a bit slow in the surf/sand but you never know when you might luck into a trout or a red.  If you get there early and get close to or next to the rocks (a popular spot) you never know what you might get.  Lots of small bonnet heard sharks in the surf right now too.
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,371 Officer
    The flounder moved in to Vilano...guy from my work had 7 from shore last Saturday.  Live Finger mullet on the bottom....River side
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Thank you creekgeek and Snatch-Um. I'll give it a shot. I fished the west bank last week at the old Vilano bridge pilings and didn't catch squat. Used live finger mullet on the bottom. Wasn't just me, there were a couple other folks there and nothing coming in. First time I struck out there. Fished the last 1/2 of outgoing. This Saturday I plan to get there very early and fish most of the incoming. Thought I'd fish the porpoise point side for something different. I'll report if I can snag anything. Thanks again.