Tarpon, how long are they gone?

So, based on watching the webcam yesterday and there wasn't a boat from the buoys to the harbor on the screen, I am assuming they went offshore for a little sexy time....  I have had them leave like this on me before.  They gotta do what they gotta do.  How long are they usually gone?  Hopefully foreplay will be at a minimum and they will get back soon...

Tight lines...

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    They should start to cycle back on the next moon.   I'd guess the middle of next week.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,886 Captain
    Thanks Mike, that is what I am hoping.  Heading down there Wednesday for 5 more days.  Taking a lot of locks for the trailer this time....  MF'ers....  Insurance gave me my full coverage amount at least.  Not enough to buy a new trailer but lot better than nothing...
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,691 Captain
    Yep... couple weeks.  They were up on the hill in big numbers last weekend (out of view of the camera).
    Even when the majority of them are gone, there's still fish around willing to play ball.  Get out there and tear em up.  

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 143 Deckhand
    Keith, during the spawn do the juvi's move elsewhere too?
    edited June 8 #6
    My two cents:  While there are spots that consistently hold them, my sense is that juvis are always moving, but for different reasons, and not as far.   For adults this time of the season is all about the spawn.  For juvis it's for something else -- might be water temp, might be salinity, might be food, might be moon phase, or it might be none of them and folly to think of their movement in such a way.  Whatever it is, at best we're guessing...but in my experience the juveniles don't disappear like the big groups of adults do.  The juvis of June tend to be found in the same places they are found in May, which doesn't really change much until our first cold snap in the fall when the fish run for cover....even if the individual groups of fish do move a bit (for instance up or down a river or creek or canal system) during that time.

Also, Keith is right to point out that they all don't leave at once.  Even if the pass is empty, there are certainly adult fish still to be found elsewhere.   I'd be starting to check my post-spawn areas pretty soon if I were you guys -- the early season vibe continues to resonate with this tarpon fisherman.  The big girls left the bay early this year up my way, and this report suggests it might be the case down there as well.

Have fun...Mike
    Mike is right on.  In my experience the spawn doesn't have much if anything to do with their movement (the juvis).  They do seem to get a little closer to the open water as it warms up, but they still tend to be concentrated more around shallow, brackish water... just not as far up the rivers as in the early season (in my area at least).  There's definitely more of them around as the water warms... but where they come from and where they're going is anyone's guess.  

Good analysis and input guys....
  • Reel seriousReel serious Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Was at my place on LGI Thursday and Red tide is present again it was more respiratory than fish kill

friday went hunting beaches from BGP north up to Casperson and noticed red tide and some dead fish but zero tarpon, found plenty of bait along the way

there were maybe 25 boats and a small wad of fish in BGP when I was there

the red tide along with the stirred up water sure aren’t helping

hope the weather and water get cleared up
    Reel, what kind of bait did you find and rough areas?  Looks like we may be fishing more offshore than in shore and would love to find some good bait.  We are staying on LGI as well.
    Threads pins etc off LGI and don Pedro about 15-20 ft
    with sabiki saw surface pods off Boca about 30 ft of water

the pins were hand sized and good for those offshore critters

didnt Mess with white bait and the net
    I wish I had gone permit fishing instead of boat riding for tarpon as it got nicer on the water as the morning went on but you don’t know until you go
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 864 Officer
    another personal observation is that strange weather patterns seem to impact the fishes behavoir and migration. I have not been out much this year but did jump my 1st fish the 1st week of April on the beach. then the cold fronts rolled in. another push was obvious after the full moon in late April. by new moon in May tropical weather and rain set in for 2 weeks. spawn could be hlafway done, as mike suggests.

I cannot recall a May with this much rain and constant wind and I’m not a youngster

One thing for sure the fish don’t like rough dirty water

i often wonder if we have prolonged rough weather during spawn cycles do the offshore fish just stay away instead of returning 
    No matter what I’ll still be sitting on a shoal next week during the flush with some crabby patties attached to a circle hook
    Based on the camera, either people are staring at the bottom or some tarpon have started coming back in.  Hopefully the latter...heading down Wednesday AM for 5 days of craziness...  If you see us around stop by and say hello and have a cocktail...  Yellow Palmetto named Fintastic.  We will be in the pass, near shore reefs, sand bars, regular bars....etc...  

Tight Lines...
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,993 Captain
    edited June 11 #17
    Some of the fish came back, Saturday night ladies tourney 1st and 2nd both had 5 fish and a bunch of other boats had 2. Sunday afternoon a few had that many again. I also talked to some of the tower boat guys and like I sent you before, they are in big groups offshore, but are being found closer and closer to the pass every day. I’ll be down Wednesday night through Sunday, I’ll be ina big inboard 😁

luckily the tropical system the GFS model was showing now seems to be a non event. Alberto is what pushed the fish off IMO but it coincided with the time of year they go to spawn anyways. They never come back as thick but they are always plenty sprinkled around here and there, just have to find them. 
    We fished Sunday AM in the Harbor and couldn't buy a fish to hit... had live bait and artificials, must have seen 150 fish roll.  Had good casts at closeby fish and just couldn't get one to commit.  Happens sometimes unfortunately.  I heard from some other local guides that they had a few days in a row like that from the fish in the Harbor... hopefully that nonsense is all done for now... we'll see.
    Yeah, I was there for alberto.  Screwed up my wife's days down there.  30+ mph until she left on Tuesday then it started to chill out.  They tarpon went offshore until that Thursday and when they came back they were acting funny but they were chewing.  A couple days they were way up in the harbor before I even got to the pass at sunrise.  50-100 boats scattered all around on the horizon.  Then around 10:30 am all the boats and all the fish rolled back into the pass.  Pretty cool to see a few acres of rolling fish just running back to the pass. 

But, in general, I try and avoid going up in the harbor or the beach since I don't have a trolling motor and rather than **** everyone off, I would rather stay in the pass where I am the least of the worries of pissing people off.  I also like to take some breaks when the bite slows and run out to get some meat for dinner....

Regardless, we will have a great time.

Thanks for the intel....much appreciated.
    This afternoon was not kind to us fishing outgoing up Sarasota way

crabs flowing ok tide ok fish around and no takers for us and the other boats nearby 

mañana 
    Two days till the moon.....