Tackle info for PC snapper

TheleadmanTheleadman Posts: 94 Greenhorn
Father's day weekend will be my first outting as Capt of the boat for red snapper, taking the wife and kids.  Already got GPS set up with some reef locations, im not a noob on the water just never been in water this deep as Capt always fished st.marks to St George area 30-50 ft Max and that being said never gone after snapper on my own (always party boat).  So gear, currently I have 2 Penn squall set ups I use for gags around St Mark's 60 lb test line, on both (assuming this will work for snapper) but in the deeper waters and bigger fish what's the suggested hook size? Weight size? 1 or 2 hook rigs? Also wanna try to get the kids on a school of white snapper would a Penn fierce 2500 be enough for them? What would rigging look like to Target them?

Replies

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    It's A carolina rig. The bigger the boy. The bigger the toy. :smile:
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    I fish out of st marks to st George as well. Will also be in Destin for a conference and fishing that weekend. Your gag gear will be fine for ARS, just lighten up on your leader ( 40lb fluro is plenty ). Use as little lead as you can. You can tie chicken rig, fish finder (Carolina rig) or knocker rig. Hooks depend on bait. 3-0 to 6-0 circles should be fine. Good luck, oh and no clue what a white snapper is
    You should have been here yesterday
  • TheleadmanTheleadman Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    white snapper are acutlly porgy i believe (white porgy) ive always heard em called white snapper on party boats and charters.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,349 Captain
    Start small hook wise and work your way up, unless you know you are on big fish.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • captbbcaptbb Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    5/0~7/0 circle ssg, 50 Flouro , swivel, 50 main line or something close,use big baits, will catch most fish when your bottom fishing. Tie a 2\3 hook chicken rig for white snapper/beeliners, with smaller baits. The public numbers will get hammered hard so watch your bottom machine on the way. 
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,563 Admiral
    edited June 11 #7
    A 2 hook chicken rig. Just make sure the hook is completely hidden by the bait. Preferably a fresh cigar minnow half or squid.  
     And a heavy lead to fire it down past the almost extinct triggers and AJ’s. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,