BOLO stolen trailer... Tag DGHN61

Some scumbag stole my trailer off my truck at the placid boat ramp. Last time I know it was there was Friday afternoon.

Dual axles, nothing terribly noticeable about it. One of the rear lights is newer and led, the other is not.

The pvc posts were both broken off.

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,886 Captain
    It is a quickload trailer.  Left light is new and is LED so MUCH brighter than the right side light. 

Boat was not on trailer so take picture accordingly.  I just had put new axles on it last year and they were all sprayed with undercoating car paint.  It is no longer black, it is now gray.  The fenders on both sides had to be raised up as well because the new axles were higher so there are holes on all sides of the fenders about 2 or 3" up.

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,993 Captain
    edited May 29 #3
    Sorry to hear that man, were you in the main lot where the ramp is or the overflow lot next door? I’ll text this around to my friends that live there as it’s a small community and everyone knows the local deadbeats and generally what they are up to.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 641 Officer
    I hate a thief... will keep my eyes open down in my neck of the woods...
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    Man, that sucks.  While on vacation too.

Did you locate a replacement?  Let me know if I can help -- could probably tow a trailer down from up here this weekend if you need it.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    That sucks. Sorry to hear.
    I was in the main lot.  Not the overflow.  Never had an issue there in all the years I have been coming down.  My bad for not having a lock.  Live and learn.  Mike, thanks for the offer.  Worse case, I drive the boat back.  Not a huge issue.  Just a pain in the back side and have to deal with a claim to get a new one.  Fortunately I had insurance on it.

Thanks for everyone's input.  More importantly, someone dance to the tarpon gods and get them back in the pass...
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,802 Captain
    Was this reported to CCSO? There used to be cameras there years ago. Doubtful now though.
    Yep, a report was submitted to CCSO.  The deputy was surprised and said they rarely have any issues at that boat ramp.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,802 Captain
    Sorry for your loss, Capt.
    I know of one that's worse.
    I was fishing at Lake Fushimi in northern Ontario where a guy from the States had his stolen 700 miles from home.
    Hope you get yours back!
    Jim
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,802 Captain
    Yep, a report was submitted to CCSO.  The deputy was surprised and said they rarely have any issues at that boat ramp.

True
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,691 Captain
    This is the third trailer I've heard of being stolen at that ramp in the past two years... I'm sure there have been more.  It's the reason I bought a lock.  Friggin thieves.  Sorry about your luck man.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    edited May 31 #13
    Unfortunately, a lock is mandatory these days.  I'm a bit surprised you would leave it there unlocked, to be honest.  Hope it laid down nice and you found those sneaky silver fish.
    It is unfortunate but definitely mandatory. If there have been a few thefts from that lot I bet it’s the same people and they will eventually get caught as someone will get sick of their chit and turn them in, or they’ll get caught in the act.

As for the sneaky silver fish there is a PM coming your way Bly. 
    Thanks man.  I PM'd you back as well...

I asked restless but this could go out for anyone.  I just got back and the insurance company wants photos of the placida parking lot and area for the report.  If anyone is using the ramp the next few days and is willing to snap some pictures of the parking areas and send them to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,691 Captain
    Tell the insurance agency to get the pics themselves.  It has nothing to do with the claim.

(I'd actually get them for you but my boat is out of commission for a week and I won't be at that ramp)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,543 Admiral
    edited June 4 #17
    I just got on to my son for locking the trailer while it was sitting in the driveway the other day.  Never again.     Gonna get a hitch lock as well.   Anyone with bolt cutters can cut a lock. 

i forgot to add the wife told me yesterday about a friend of hers from high school who had their Vmax 200 stolen off their boat over the weekend on the trailer in their back yard FCOL.  I believe they back up to a lake and the dirty POS motored up at night or something to that effect.    Total bullcrap to have something stolen but from your yard is worse.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 485 Deckhand
    I don't know what it is with insurance company's. About 4 years ago I had my boat stolen. The cops found it on the side of the road less the motor and electronics. I had to do phone interviews, give them all my phone records, they even sent a private investigator to question my neighbors. It was pretty ridiculous. They treated me like I was the criminal.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 374 Deckhand
    State Farm spends a billion dollars a year on advertising...too bad they don’t not use that money to help with claims, insteadofmgivingmitmtomthemspoiled athletes. Also, State Farm is,evil, friend had at s in back yard attached by chain to trailer...was not covered
    I found some pictures on line that will suffice.  Should be good to go.  Now waiting on CCSO to get me the report.  All good.
    edited June 5 #21
    Bly sorry for the delayed response, I guess I need to turn on something to let me know I get PMs (it was on in the last platform) plus I was offshore all weekend for opening of gag. Glad to hear you got pictures online as I won't be back down there until next Wednesday, but would have been happy to help so let me know if what you got doesn't work. A friend of mine was storing his trailer on a vacant lot I own and it was stolen and they paid for a brand new Owen and Sons so hopefully they make you whole too (I can't remember which insurance company he used). Also sounds like you all still had a good trip and found the fish.

yep, all good.  No problem on the pictures and I have the same issue that it doesn't notify or send me an email when it used too for a PM...    I will be down there next Wednesday - Sunday too. 

I won't get made totally whole.  I had $2500 insurance on the trailer.  New Owens and Sons will be closer to $4K.  But we will get something figured out.
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 382 Deckhand
    FYI 
    that PI should have been the one taking the photographs of the parking lot. 
    Then looking for and identifying s\v cameras for miles at exit from
    parking lot. Photographing them and then
    securing footage thus substantiating your claim. 

Then submitting their investigation to the claims examiner. 

When the investigation verify your claim you get the settlement check

if inconclusive you get paid. 

If evididence of fraud you don’t get paid. 
    Best case you retract your claim

you get paid and evidence of fraud and information filed you go to jail

insurance companies are constantly battling fraudulent claims. 

They have an an obligation to make sure they always settle legit claims and often pay the price of fraudulent claims as well. 

Sayin 

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
    The insurance company already committed to paying the full insurance amount of $2500 minus a $100 deductible.  So all good on that front.  
    Good to hear.  :)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,543 Admiral
    The insurance company already committed to paying the full insurance amount of $2500 minus a $100 deductible.  So all good on that front.  
    ask em to give you an extra $60 for a ball lock! 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Worst part is I had all the locks in the truck including a ball lock.  Just have never locked it up before so didn't really think about it.  This week we used Mark's trailer.  I pull into a spot.  Made sure I was plenty far into it.  Take the trailer off the ball.  Move the truck forward a foot.  Put the ball lock on it.  Take a 25' steel cable and wrap that through the tires and around the axles and as I am walking away some dude parking his trailer smashes into the trailer taking out a light.  Probably could have been a lot worse if the trailer was on the truck because it wouldn't have moved.  I am guessing if I wasn't standing there I would have never heard hide nor hair from him but he quickly offered me $100.  I told him $50 was plenty for a new light.  In his defense, the same thing happened at that ramp last year too me and whoever it was left a note on the windshield with his name and # to contact him for repairs.  It was just a light so I never bothered tracking someone down for $20 but he was sure a stand up dude for doing that.

Had a blow out on the way home too about 2 miles before the skyway.

Just not my year for trailers...   I think I may use that insurance money for a trolling motor...  But we will see.