Icast 2018 Rumors

nolegsinmiaminolegsinmiami Posts: 37 Greenhorn
It’s that time a year again! Pretty exciting leading up to Icast.  What rumors are everyone hearing.  I have heard of a saltwater stradic and possible redesign of the Loomis inshore rods.

Replies

• Hill8Hill8 Brooklyn, New York, United StatesPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    Let me know when you know the rumors are real!
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,504 Captain
    I hope somebody comes out with a $40 lure.  
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,057 Captain
    I hope they finally solve the braid vs mono abrasion resistance debate 
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 395 Deckhand
    I wish someone would invite a good w a camera in it
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,668 Captain
    I still fish with 25+ year old technology for the most part.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 395 Deckhand
    Agree w conchydog.  Duz the new stuff really make a dif. I say not really
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,057 Captain
    Its all about how you wiggle the worm, not the size! Hahahahaha
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    edited May 18 #9
    Loomis desperately needs a redesign of their saltwater rods.  Bucara's in particular, really suck.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 413 Deckhand
    kellercl said:
    I hope somebody comes out with a $40 lure.  
    🤣 I love it!
    FishInFL said:
    I hope they finally solve the braid vs mono abrasion resistance debate 
    😂 Ha! While they’re tryin to settle that, I’ll be out on the water not givin two turds WHAT they figure out! 😁
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,443 Admiral
    The LiveTarget sunfish that won a few years ago has been deadly on big pond bass for me.  Even though I thought it was gimmicky, I gave it a shot.  I am glad I did.

Captain Todd Approves

• BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Some real competition for the Hobie Pro Anglers at a reasonable price would be nice.

But, just wishful thinking I guess.
    Has anyone heard what the Specs will be on the New Stradic SW Reels?
    It looks like both the 4000 and 5000 are listed at 24lbs. of Drag with I think between 6:2-9 gear ratio.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,409 Moderator
    Maybe this year I'll get to go for once..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 138 Deckhand
    Cannot wait to see the new Stradics, big things for that model this year.

That and to see those new Yammy's in person.   

#TeamSunsect will be there again and back in action - make sure to stop by and say hey!   
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
  • dannosdoormatsdannosdoormats Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Heard a rumor that Penn was going to downsize the 7500 , long spool,; like the reel just felt it was too heavy.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 576 Officer
    And I thought my Stradic 5000's were good for SW. Guess I'll have to change all my reels now..........
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    It looks like both the 4000 and 5000 are listed at 24lbs. of Drag with I think between 6:2-9 gear ratio.
       drag specs are for marketing.
    edited May 27 #21
    I hear ya JohnD! I’m not too sure what I would ever need 24lbs. of drag on a 4000 size spinning reel. Any rod I would have matched up with a 4000 would completely buckle over at 24lbs of Drag! Can a reel that small even handle that much drag being pulled out of it?!
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,504 Captain
    I hear ya JohnD! I’m not too sure what I would ever need 24lbs. of drag on a 4000 size spinning reel. Any rod I would have matched up with a 4000 would completely buckle over at 24lbs of Drag! Can a reel that small even handle that much drag being pulled out of it?!
    I think more than that drag should be 1/3 the breaking strength of the line.  Fishing with 15 lb line, drag should be 5 lb.  Setting drag to 24 lb means the line should be 72 lb.  
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    kellercl said:
    I think more than that drag should be 1/3 the breaking strength of the line.  Fishing with 15 lb line, drag should be 5 lb.  Setting drag to 24 lb means the line should be 72 lb.  
    or 65lb braid :blush:
    we need more internet money
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    They have stopped producing Duel reels. There are still some shops carrying them.
    The Duel's two speed is unique. You crank conventional for high gear and when
    fatigue kicks in you crank the opposite for low gear.

Tiburon is still manufacturing the smart shift reels. There two speed is based on
    A setting. After a certain amount of pressure you set it to your desired weight and
    then it automatically kicks in to low gear and vice versa. I think that makes cents.  :D

The standard is the obvious. The pin engages low and the button put's it back in high gear.

Custom conversion kits!  ;)

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • nolegsinmiaminolegsinmiami Posts: 37 Greenhorn

I heard that Loomis may be revamping the E6X Inshore line like they did to the bass line and perhaps discontinuing the Pro Green and Pro Blue and bringing in IMX and/GLX – meaning they are trying to keep all of the rods in the E6X/IMX/GLX/NRX format.  Has anyone heard something similar? 

• bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    kellercl said:
    Perfect for bass fishing with frogs then
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    I still fish with 25+ year old technology for the most part.
    Me too. My freshwater tackle consists solely of several 1960s Mitchells and "new fangled" hollow glass rods. Even found some packs of late 70s Manns jelly worms! Blueberry fire tails rock....but the smell has long faded.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    mplspug said:
    The LiveTarget sunfish that won a few years ago has been deadly on big pond bass for me.  Even though I thought it was gimmicky, I gave it a shot.  I am glad I did.

Speaking of LiveTarget.. 

http://traditionsmedia.com/livetarget-new-lure-doesnt-tinker-around/ 
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • AlphachiefAlphachief Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Forget the rods and reels...what we all need a wider selection of saltwater fishing camo...not!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,186 Officer
    I still use Shimano Bantam 100s and 250s from the late 70s and early 80s but use the latest rods.  If anyone is looking for Mitchell 300s and 308s I have several.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    I still use Shimano Bantam 100s and 250s from the late 70s and early 80s but use the latest rods.  If anyone is looking for Mitchell 300s and 308s I have several.
    Alex i sent you a pm.