kayaking buying questiom

me and my big bro are looking into buying a tandom fishing kayak to go offshore in or to do inshore fishing, im a pretty bug guy myself wieghing 230 and my brother 195, dont want to spend over 700. first time buyers so dont know whats anygood.
:fishing
OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13

Replies

• golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    hmmm, a native magic set up tandem would be a good choice, but will be very, and i mean very, hard to find.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • tntwilltntwill Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    native ultamate 14.5 or 16
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Would not go offshore with a native check craigslist for sit on top tandem, also check the weight limit on the kayak.. The first kayak I ever paddled was a tandem ocean kayak. Never fished out of it. But it was a plastic tank. Go out and demo diff kayak. Some kayak shops let u try them out.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    :A with Pottymouth; inshore the Native would be fine except during extreme cloudburst as they can fill with water and you'll be making a beeline for shore. Offshore - No Way would I be caught in a Native....you need a sit-on-top. Either way it will be difficult at best to meet your $700 budget. For a tandem yak that would fit your bill I would look at the Hobie Outfitter it has a weight capacity of 450 lbs. and has the Mirage drive pedal system....at $2599 new it's pricey but if you watch Craigslist one will turn up eventually and you can also check for year end rental fleet sales where good discounts are possible. Economy Tackle in Sarasota does this every year to renew their rental fleet. You would be better served saving your coin to buy a good tandem yak IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    I have NO Probs W Natives IMHO, I know many people who fish em quite well offshore - however be sure to have a good hand pump though to be safe....
    But others may feel differently.

More importanly is this - If you guys are planning to ALWAYS fish TOGETHER, do the tandem - I have seen tandem teams kite fish W GOGS, double jig, etc - Its a great setup, however they are very very tough to handle alone in the open ocean in waves, wind and current by yourself. So if you guys plan on doing solo missions offshore, a couple singles may be a better option.

Just food for thought....
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    thanks, i think offshore kayak fishing is really neat and cheaper then runnin my dads boat which cost alot just to fill the tank. i was thinking of getting to solo kayaks a ok scrambler xt angler.
  • tntwilltntwill Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    solo all the way brother
  • gulfscubagulfscuba Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    NO TO TANDEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    For tandems, look at Ocean Kayak Malibu II. If you want to get 2 singles, Scramblers are decent but not as good at tracking in a straight line. You may want to look for a couple Ocean Kayak Prowlers for that.

For your price range, keep your eyes on Craigslist.

Good luck,
    Alex
  • livebhaterlivebhater Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I am no pro but I wouldn't trust a tandem out in the ocean, especially if one of you isn't an experienced paddler. They're called divorce boats for a reason and I would only ever consider buying them if I wanted to put a child in the boat with me. Ocean fishing would be easier/better/safer with 2 solo kayaks. I have a tarpon 140 and LOVE that kayak and have handled some pretty nasty/sloppy surf both out to sea and in inlets. If you look closely on craigslist and other sites you can sometimes find older tarpons for under 700 bucks that are in good condition.
    but the scrambler is good priced and so im going to sacrifice my tracking then.
  • flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    Good luck finding a decent tandum at the 700.00 price range.
  • levosgienlevosgien Posts: 164 Officer
    Scrambler's a 1-seater. You can definitely pick-up two used ones for around $500-600. I personally prefer two singles but this will have storage and transportation implication. Also, if you have two singles and you want to go by yourself, it's always easier than heading out in a 2-seater.

You should not have any issues finding a two-seater malibu or OK. Here's an O.K. from last week in the Miami area.
    single it is!
    might get it when i go back to school.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    The Scrambler may be a bit small for you.
    I picked up a 2011 Scrambler 11 for my 10 y/o son a couple of months ago...great boat light weight, stable & tracks quite well for a 11' boat. I've paddled it (6' 217lbs) not a bad fit except for the footwells, I was uncomfortable the way they made my feet rest due to my height.
    I would recommend a used Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, a new BassPro Old Town Endeavor (Prowler 13) or a Perception Sport Pescador 12.0.
    The Pescador is a rebadged 2008 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 it retails for around $550 (West Marine, ****, Sports Authority & Gander). Back in the day, the 2008 Tarpon 120 retailed for $845.