KARL WICKSTROM, "FLORIDA SPORTSMAN"

THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 402 Deckhand
Interesting editorial in the June, 2018, issue.  He suggests giving spotted sea trout gamefish designation, effectively removing them from commercial harvest.  Also thinks cobia and tripletail should have the same gamefish designation.  Sure helped with the redfish population!  What slay you?
SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,501 Admiral
    I said yes when i took the survey.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I will probably get skewered for this opinion, but here it goes anyway. I vote he** no. I like to eat my catch and to me "Gamefish" status is a slippery slope towards reduced bag limits and eventually catch and release fishing only. It has happened to snook, it has happened to redfish and now you want it to happen to trout? No thanks. And for cobia and triple tail, the bag limits are small for both species and the commercial harvest doesn't even touch the rec harvest, so what would gamefish status give these species? Nothing but more ammunition for the "fish huggers" to make it CPR only. The only people who think this would be a good idea are the same people who get mad at me for keeping my one legal, slot sized snook that I catch during the short season. Then, they head out during the spawn to CPR fish for the big breeder females with large plugs full of treble hooks. After hooking and fighting these fish on light tackle they then flop them on their deck for some photos, then "gently" release them back to the waterfor the blow beaks and sharks to come and eat. Makes sense huh. End of rant.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,501 Admiral
    @waterdipper

I think everyone is allowed their opinion, yours is certainly a valid one.  I think there are already pretty solid bag limits on cobia and trout, tripletail too.  They just reduced the Sheepshead catch as well.  I think that's just the way things are going to go from here on out.   Hoping not, but the constant influx of people to this state is only going to stress an already stressed fishery around the entire state.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    edited June 6 #5
    I think it’s a great idea. Trout are much more valuable to the state as a rec only fish. You’ll catch much better quality trout without any commercial pressure
    You should have been here yesterday
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 864 Officer
    anglers have the choice to harvest or release trout. I dont eat em much so i release most of mine, same with reds - although i like the m better than trout, but with the limit down to one fish...makes a dinner for 1.
    Tripletail have been up'd to 18 inches, making it tougher to get that 2 fish limit. 2 16 inch tripletail was dinner for 2, if 2 of us limited the family ate tripletail. now to get a limit of 2 per angler inshore will take a good day and a little bit of time. they used to be a trip saver on the way back to ramp.
    Cobia, well, probably needs gamefish status if they are gonna continue kill tournements up in the panhandle/AL and Miss. Those big breeders have a target on them. maybe not gamefish, but some sort of reperieve from the ever increasing number of anglers in their tower boats.  Here's one fish a slot size would help.

I’d love to see a slot on cobia also
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,404 Moderator
    It could be like bass tournaments. You apply for an exemption. It has to be approved and is only good for that tournament date. Bass get released but it would work for a one to boat deal ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,501 Captain
    Releasing a 50 pounder with a gaff hole?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,642 Admiral
    I think it’s a great idea. Trout are much more valuable to the state as a rec only fish. You’ll catch much better quality trout without any commercial pressure
    Oh, please enlighten us all about the commercial pressure on trout when the commercial take is 6-8 % of the total catch, and 75% is on the EC where there was always a traditional H&L fishery.
    Come on man, cup CCA balls much?

I really love it when the rec googans boast on social media about having to wade thru 100 short trout to get their legal limit..
    Nothing like killing 50 to get 5..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    permit_me said:
    anglers have the choice to harvest or release trout. I dont eat em much so i release most of mine, same with reds - although i like the m better than trout, but with the limit down to one fish...makes a dinner for 1.
    Tripletail have been up'd to 18 inches, making it tougher to get that 2 fish limit. 2 16 inch tripletail was dinner for 2, if 2 of us limited the family ate tripletail. now to get a limit of 2 per angler inshore will take a good day and a little bit of time. they used to be a trip saver on the way back to ramp.
    Cobia, well, probably needs gamefish status if they are gonna continue kill tournements up in the panhandle/AL and Miss. Those big breeders have a target on them. maybe not gamefish, but some sort of reperieve from the ever increasing number of anglers in their tower boats.  Here's one fish a slot size would help.

Just for grins, the cobia hoopla originated  from the panhandle with the guides up there claiming the fishers in the southwest portion of the state caught too many cobia in the winter month and therefore screwed up the panhandle runs..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Oh, please enlighten us all about the commercial pressure on trout when the commercial take is 6-8 % of the total catch, and 75% is on the EC where there was always a traditional H&L fishery.

I really love it when the rec googans boast on social media about having to wade thru 100 short trout to get their legal limit..
    It’s not much, but it will add up. Who really buys trout anyway.  Call names if you want, that’s what I expect of you. I don’t have a dog in this fight. I don’t trout fish, I don’t eat trout.  But the trout I see at the market are larger breeder size. Not 18” fish.,, I don’t pretend to know everything, but it seems that the commercials wont bring nearly as many dollars per fish as the “ googans” popping corks on the flats...  

and i I love it when a guy making a living off of a public resource somehow has more right to it than people out there doing it because they love it...  I’d still be out there taking care of the water, picking up Mylar balloons , if I couldn’t keep anything.. would you?
    nick said:
    If it was over slot, you wouldn’t gaff it. 
    ANUMBER1 said:

It’s not much, but it will add up. Who really buys trout anyway.  Call names if you want, that’s what I expect of you. I don’t have a dog in this fight. I don’t trout fish, I don’t eat trout.  But the trout I see at the market are larger breeder size. Not 18” fish.,, I don’t pretend to know everything, but it seems that the commercials wont bring nearly as many dollars per fish as the “ googans” popping corks on the flats...  

and i I love it when a guy making a living off of a public resource somehow has more right to it than people out there doing it because they love it...  I’d still be out there taking care of the water, picking up Mylar balloons , if I couldn’t keep anything.. would you?
    Basically y'all want it all.
    Back in the day trout was on the local restaurants menu as was sheephead, redfish, mullet, etc.
    Never had any problem selling trout.
    I really don’t want it all. Just fair. I catch my own fish, I don’t buy commercially caught fish.  But if it’s closed for recs it should be closed for comms. The guy making his living on a public recourse we all own will want it his way
    we get 5 months out of the year and catch a drop in the bucket compared to the 3 million rec catch.
    IMO teaching anglers how to properly handle short trout will do far more good for the overall stock.
    There has been some release mortality studies going on out of Cedar Key last couple of years, we'll se if that is a factor in the next stock assessment.
    edited June 7 #17
    ANUMBER1 said:
    we get 5 months out of the year and catch a drop in the bucket compared to the 3 million rec catch.
    IMO teaching anglers how to properly handle short trout will do far more good for the overall stock.
    There has been some release mortality studies going on out of Cedar Key last couple of years, we'll se if that is a factor in the next stock assessment.
    Totally agree about handeling. I’d love to know what they come up with. Regarding an old post, I think most trout fishermen are complaining about having to weed through 100 shorts to get their limit, not bragging, but I could be wrong. 
    It seems the trout for sale are larger over 20” fish. The bigger breeding fish are ending up in the market.  I’m certainly not against commercial fishing, but it seems seatrout will make more money for the state as a rec only game fish than what it fetches at the market. Stone crabs,, completely the opposite 
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,501 Captain
    nick said:
    If it was over slot, you wouldn’t gaff it. 
    I’ve watched guys gaff, tag, and release them. 😂