Basst day ever

i’m From Ky and never tore them up like today where we now live in PSL. i think i may have my personal 1 fish best but no scale. I caught 8 in 3 hours 2-3 pounds. Top water again. 
I had just noticed some fray on my 15 lb floro leader thinking i may have a chance for a big one and screw myself. 
They were staging under the fern-like water veg right at the bank so it hit 10 feet away and i was nervous as hell whether to fight it out or whip it up. i loosened the drag and it fled only to come right back. I **** it up. i’m guessing 4. 
Anyone wanna help me double that, i’m a good mate!! le that

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,212 Officer
    Measure your rod handle to give you a ballpark length that'll make it easier to guess the weight.
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    thanks alex - the pic w rod was a 2 lber- the one i’m holding is Mr. Chunky. 
    Measure your rod handle to give you a ballpark length that'll make it easier to guess the weight.
    Hey i took your tip and lined this up today as i now guess is my new biggest bass ever!!! it’s 21 inches to that black band from the butt. any way i can assume it’s a 5 pounder? 
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 155 Deckhand
    According to my chart published by Texas DOF 21" is 5.4 lbs. A god rough estimate, some fish thinner or fatter so...

i got to get up to speed here. Been a married dad for 34 years and never focused much other than buy some white curly tail grubs and fish the ohio river falls - cast and catch anything from 20 pound stripers to 3 pound skipjack herring to sauger! 
    Now i have time to really study knots- line importance - baitcaster vs spinning etc - So thank you