3/14/18 Offshore AJs

Had a postponed trip from Sunday wanting to get out offshore before heading back home. Today was the best of the available days and we decided to go ahead and run out. The group was used to fishing for bass and other freshwater fish out of ponds, and was looking for a fun time. Nothing screams more fun to me than some hard pulling reef donkeys.
We left punta rassa at 7AM and headed out to pick up some live bait. A dozen or so blue runners, some pinfish and squirrel fish rounded out the livewell. The seas were a washing machine with some large swell and chop going all different directions. We pushed on out to our destination. We we're greated almost immediately by a small school of ajs. Fired in a live runner and it was game on. We had a ton of hookups today, but our landed fish ratio wasn't great. We went 3 for 15 on landed fish and had one other leader touch that came off at the boat. Some of the fish we're bruisers that got us back to the structure after long runs. Another straightened out an 8/0 2x strong circle hook. It was a very fun day and the guys were left with ultra sore and tired arms. Going to be hard for them to look at a Bass the same after that! 
The weather finally laid down for us for our run back in. We saw a handful of porpoises as well as a bunch of turtles, one of which was a giant leatherback. Always a cool site.

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Nice report. Any chance you will share what water depth those AJs were at? Wife wants to catch a big one really bad and usually I am the one hooking up with them...
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,352 Captain
    Good dill
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 641 Officer
    csheridan, these were in about 100 ft.  If you want to hit some really big ones, check out Stoneys. I havnt been there in a bit, but there are always some real monsters there willing to cooperate. 
    What is Stoneys?
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 641 Officer
    csheridan:stoneys, or stoney point is a wreck off of Lee County.  It is a public listed artificial wreck thats pretty far out. 
    Thanks got it!