Looking for Freshwater advice for canals and ponds south florida miami dade/broward

fokeirofokeiro MiamiPosts: 32 Greenhorn
Hi guys im starting to get into the canals/ponds scene since i seen some nice ones around noone fishing on them and was wondering what are good lures or bait for some bass or anything locally. So far got a few spinning rods, just bought a baitcasting combo so i can learn it and have a couple of spinnerbaits and worms, what else is commonly used here for some decent fish. Im willing yo drive around trying places every other weekens so thats not an issue.Thanks

Replies

• davids8477davids8477 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    A good all round productive lure is the Zoom Super Fluke. Water Melon seed or black.  4 0 hook weedless unweighted. 
  • fokeirofokeiro MiamiPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    A good all round productive lure is the Zoom Super Fluke. Water Melon seed or black.  4 0 hook weedless unweighted. 
    Thanks ill give them a try
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    I also had good success with spinnerbaits. Then there's old school methods like shiners. :)
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    I also had good success with spinnerbaits. Then there's old school methods like shiners. :)
    Got 1 1/8 3/8 and 1/2   3/8 added a worm to it and i see them follow it but guess its too big for small fish
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,193 Officer
    Day in and day out a 4-6" plastic worm Texas rigged with a 1/16 oz weight will out fish anything.  If you can see the fish it can see you and usually won't bite.  I use 6 and 8 lb monofilament or fluorocarbon line.
    Day in and day out a 4-6" plastic worm Texas rigged with a 1/16 oz weight will out fish anything.  If you can see the fish it can see you and usually won't bite.  I use 6 and 8 lb monofilament or fluorocarbon line.
    Thanks for the tip...how far from lure u put the weight?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    ^^ Texas rig.. Weight slides to the head of the worm. You can pinch a split shot about 10" up from bait instead for a different look. Try the texas deal.
    "You'll get your weather"
    ^^ Texas rig.. Weight slides to the head of the worm. You can pinch a split shot about 10" up from bait instead for a different look. Try the texas deal.
    Thanks for tip got some splitshots will get them a try
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,193 Officer
    For the Texas rig use bullet weights.  A split shot up the line is called either a split shot rig or a Carolina rig depending how large of a weight you're using.  My go to rig is the Texas with either 1/16th or an 1/8 oz weight if it's windy or the water is deeper than 15'.
  • sharky12sharky12 Posts: 191 Deckhand
    A small jerkbait has always been good for me. Yo-Zuri has made some smaller ones in bright flashy colors that have worked well. of course a good old prop bait is always fun. 
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    The yozuri 3ds is what you're looking for. That's when I really started catching fish. Snook, bass, peas, tarpon, anything really
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    black with blue fleck senko fished either wacky or texas w/ or w/o weight.
    cane toads and other frog baits.
    chrome or fire tiger rattle trap particularly for peacocks
    don't try to use typical bass soft plastics for peacocks.
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Beetle Spin!
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Red rooster tail for peacocks. Gold Rapala minnow works well on peacocks and large mouth also.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    edited July 3 #16

DOUGH BAITS

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    Where in Florida are you catching common carp?
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    edited July 7 #18
    Walk N Pop 67-1
    NOTICE- Topwater fishing is an addiction and may replace slower/boring baits. 
    Upon hitting the water - Twitch twice stop. Slow swim to another pop stop. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 834 Officer
    For the Texas rig use bullet weights.  A split shot up the line is called either a split shot rig or a Carolina rig depending how large of a weight you're using.  My go to rig is the Texas with either 1/16th or an 1/8 oz weight if it's windy or the water is deeper than 15'.
    You can also pin the weight to the hook with a toothpick. Slide weight to the hook, stick a toothpick in between line and weight and break off extra.
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    along with watermelon seed also throw and twitch zoom superfluke in pearl white.   VERY effective in broward area.   YO-ZURI 3ds minnow in gold also destroys the local freshwater fish
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain
    edited July 22 #21
    Zoom Horny Toad any color, but I like Black and June bug best. Lighter wire 4/0 offset hooks are best. Top water bite is kool. Many ways to fish it, but just walking down the bank casting ahead is pretty deadly