Anyone have land they need hunted?

tunatumblertunatumbler Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Im 18 years old and have been hunting for 4 years now and love hunting and if anyone has land with hogs or anything else they would like help taking off the property I would love to help.

Replies

• awayaway Posts: 265 Deckhand
    I always get a kick out of these.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Worth a shot - 18 yr old kid needs a place to go - can anyone help out?  Maybe teach him a thing or two?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,730 Admiral
    I'd contact Lykes Brothers  in Labelle area. They have lot's of land and millions of hogs.
    I'm sure they'd be more that happy to give you a key to the gate...ask for Charlie Lykes..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 969 Officer
    I'd contact Lykes Brothers  in Labelle area. They have lot's of land and millions of hogs.
    I'm sure they'd be more that happy to give you a key to the gate...ask for Charlie Lykes..
    At least you didn’t tell him to drive out there and start knocking on doors. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Where do you live?

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,029 Admiral
    away said:
    I always get a kick out of these.
    The next generation needs nurturing along. At least he had the good sense to start the process of asking about.
  • ajrickettsajricketts Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    The next generation grew up hearing stories about guys knocking on doors and finding land to hearing about how your dad/uncle/grandpa/whoever met a guy that had a 1,000 acres and "darn deer eatin' my crops!" It's always hard to learn that things just aren't that way anymore. Note the two threads on here listing openings for clubs; you just have to have $7K+ to spend per year on hunting (and decided to do it in FL rather than taking an epic trip out west for mule deer, elk, etc. every year)
    edited June 6 #10
    What I really get a "kick" out of is all the talk on this board about the importance of recruiting new hunters, especially young ones, and how quick people are to give the new guys s*** when they ask how and where to hunt. 
  • Ghostrider11bGhostrider11b Callahan, FlPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    Chongg said:
    What I really get a "kick" out of is all the talk on this board about the importance of recruiting new hunters, especially young ones, and how quick people are to give the new guys s*** when they ask how and where to hunt. 
    I think the issue is more in reference to tact and delivery then the overall asking for assistance. One can do the research and have an idea of what they are looking at vs just jumping on and saying "who's got somethin for me". This is coming from someone new to the forum as well as new to florida hunting at least (been elsewhere but only hunted in Florida last two years). so take it for what its worth
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,704 Captain
    edited June 6 #12
    Chongg said:
    He’s not asking for info about how to hunt, he’s asking for free access to private land and framing in terms of doing the landowner a favor. It would be like going to the car dealership and offering to do the salesman a favor by taking one of his cars free of charge. That sort of attitude is going to amuse and bemuse the salesman about as much as it amuses and bemuses us hunters in this context. 

I say “alleged” because we also know there’s lots of experienced people trolling for land info. 

There’s only so many times we can tell new posters that the “I’ll do you a favor and kill your hogs” plan for land access is a myth. In fact someone here criticized me for being politely direct to another such poster. So at some point, yes it becomes a joke. We can’t tell who’s a legitimate young person who’s wet behind the ears but whose heart is in the right place vs someone cynically or arrogantly using the same tired old formula to get a free ride. Either type should do their homework before asking. 
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Everything is pro con debate theses days put ten guys together and we will be divided about whether or not water is wet 

good luck Tunatumbler hope you find your self in a good spot 
    edited June 6 #14
    justify your reactions anyway you want, but the kid is 18 and simply asked if anyone would give him access to their land. He isn't holding a gun to anyone's head. He isn't stealing or trespassing.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,704 Captain
    Chongg said:
    justify your reactions anyway you want, but the kid is 18 and simply asked if anyone would give him access to their land. He isn't holding a gun to anyone's head. He isn't stealing or trespassing.
    Should we give him a participation trophy?

If he really is an 18 year old kid who doesn’t know how naive his question is, then he’s just taken his first real step into manhood by being razzed (and barely razzed at that) by his elders who know the world better than he. He can take it like a man and learn from it and be all the wiser for it and earn some respect by realizing his mistake and changing his questions to more of a “point me in the right direction” type. He can also use the search function to educate himself as much as possible before speaking. That’s a very important lesson for a young man to learn. 
    edited June 6 #16
    Florida Sportsman: Come for the hunting info, leave with life lessons on becoming a man.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 743 Officer
    There seriously should be a welcome sticky with rules and expectations.  Or a "Ask Where You Should Hunt Here" sticky.  Happens too much around here. 

I feel bad for anyone jumping on here and not knowing 'better'.  Most people find these forums to learn.  So guess what?  They don't know better!  They're learning....

If I cared about people ignoring me or telling me my questions are stupid.. I wouldn't have stuck around either.  Don't get me wrong.  Most of you have been super helpful and I know this place is full of good people too.  But jeez, how about a welcome for someone....

@tunatumbler
    Welcome!  Don't let these guys scare you away.  There's good info here and some of us are willing to help if we see you're taking some initiative.  But fyi, hunting land in florida is scarce.  There's not enough of it.  The days of people letting you hunt their property without paying for it are pretty much over.  Probably has never happened over the internet lol  Long gone.......
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,524 Captain
    Young man were do you live? I have a lease in Glades county full of hogs. While summertime is a tough time out there. Maybe if you don't live to far away? I can take you this Fall.

My son is now 25 and moved to Georgia I would like to think that if he reached out to a forum in Ga someone would help him? Probably not but here I am.

send me PM 
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 760 Officer
    Im 18 years old and have been hunting for 4 years now and love hunting and if anyone has land with hogs or anything else they would like help taking off the property I would love to help.
    Let me try to help instead of the pompous BS you are reading...
    1) Frame your question as "I am willing to work for access". *Some* landowners will entertain the question IF you show a willingness to barter your time and effort to work the land for them. I have gotten access doing this. Go to the county tax appraisers and look at plat maps with acreage close enough to you to let you put in some hours there. If you have some skills (auto repair, Landscaping..etc) list them as barter chits.
    2) Offer to share the game your harvest (Cleaned and butchered to their door)
    3) Lots of landowners think of hunters as SLOBS. If you get an interview, dress nice..don't show up in a MUDDER vehicle and if you get rejected..BE NICE.
    4) It helps to say ARCHERY EQUIPMENT ONLY to reduce the risk in their eyes. Offer to show them a proficiency in archery equipment (make sure you can shoot) and let them know you won't be taking risky shots

Not all landowners are willing to lease their property to hunt clubs (see the slob comment). But you can get to know landowners through Church and community gatherings.

The Odds are NOT GOOD..Maybe 1 in 100 so you'll have to mail to allot of landowners to get a hit. Enclose a picture of yourself and emphasize you are 18 and can't afford a lease

BE PREPARED TO WORK ALLOT for a landowner for the privilege!

Good luck...you won't succeed unless you try!!!

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,029 Admiral
    GRIZZL said:
    1) Frame your question as "I am willing to work for access". *Some* landowners will entertain the question IF you show a willingness to barter your time and effort to work the land for them. I have gotten access doing this. Go to the county tax appraisers and look at plat maps with acreage close enough to you to let you put in some hours there. If you have some skills (auto repair, Landscaping..etc) list them as barter chits.
    3) Lots of landowners think of hunters as SLOBS. If you get an interview, dress nice..don't show up in a MUDDER vehicle and if you get rejected..BE NICE.
    4) It helps to say ARCHERY EQUIPMENT ONLY to reduce the risk in their eyes. Offer to show them a proficiency in archery equipment (make sure you can shoot) and let them know you won't be taking risky shots

Not all landowners are willing to lease their property to hunt clubs (see the slob comment). But you can get to know landowners through Church and community gatherings.

The Odds are NOT GOOD..Maybe 1 in 100 so you'll have to mail to allot of landowners to get a hit. Enclose a picture of yourself and emphasize you are 18 and can't afford a lease

Perfect.......on a number of levels.

• adampaul883adampaul883 miamiPosts: 27 Greenhorn
    How do you hunt hogs? 
    Do you have any weapon or trap for hogs?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    usually just buy them a drink and make small talk
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,730 Admiral
    Best place to get your Limit is a small town Buffet on most any night.
    Sometimes mid day hunting can be quite productive at the local Donut shop as well...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,186 Admiral
    GRIZZL said:

Cripes I'm 40 and I can't afford a lease lol.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Just show up to Buck N Does on 42 East of Ocala around 1230 on a Saturday night.   If there isn't a fight in the parking lot, just walk inside and order a Bud Light and wait.   The hogs will find you. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • awayaway Posts: 265 Deckhand
    Chongg said:
    He's not asking how and where to hunt. As Bullfrog pointed out, he asked if anyone has "land they need hunted".  As if a hunting forum is a good place to locate excess land in FL.  It's hard enough to get feedback from this place about where to hunt PUBLIC land. Expecting people to offer up private land in this forum is comical.

That's what I get a kick out of. Has nothing to do with his age.  

• DJWDJW Posts: 529 Officer
    Call the county land management office. Ask if they know of any county land that you can hunt. Explain your age and situation and maybe you will find a sympathetic ear.
    DO NOT tresspass with a gun. It's a felony.
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Young man were do you live? I have a lease in Glades county full of hogs. While summertime is a tough time out there. Maybe if you don't live to far away? I can take you this Fall.

My son is now 25 and moved to Georgia I would like to think that if he reached out to a forum in Ga someone would help him? Probably not but here I am.

send me PM 

Very generous of you. I haven't hunted much over the years but when I had leases in GA I was always willing to take new hunters. I enjoy watching them experience what I was able to experience when I was younger.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Just show up to Buck N Does on 42 East of Ocala around 1230 on a Saturday night.   If there isn't a fight in the parking lot, just walk inside and order a Bud Light and wait.   The hogs will find you. 
    figure that'd be more of a Natty lite type place?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited June 16 #30
    ANUMBER1 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    figure that'd be more of a Natty lite type place?
    Bud light is for fancy nights out.   Troy and Cooder headin over to B&Ds for a good ole time OOOWeeeee
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 794 Officer
    Geeez,,,,The OP just text me , he was invited to hunt on a 342 ac. ranch that has not been hunted in 13 yrs.  He also said the owner has 2 good looking single daughters his age..