6 tarpon and some huge snook!

Last weekend I had the privilege of taking out the ultimate All American family.  Mom, dad, two sons... the boys were awesome to talk with, super good at baseball, very polite, attentive, and excited to be out on the water.  They learned it all from mom and dad.  Makes me happy to have people like these out on the boat... especially since last year we were rained out on the way out fishing... but we made up for it in spades this year.
So onto the report:
Pick them up at Palm Island and head out... we weren't to the spot 20 minutes and dad hooks up to a tarpon.  Gets off as he's about to hand the rod off to son... bummer.  Little bit later he hooks up to tarpon number two, makes a successful handoff to a big huge smile of a boy doing everything he can to get that tarpon in... and he got it!  Perfect size for him in the strong current at about 20 pounds.  (pic below).  High fives, smiles... first tarpon.  Let's get another one.
Then one of the big rods with mullet goes off but before I could get to it we're broke off.  Tighten the drag down, throw another one out there, it immediately gets hooked up, massive big shouldered snook breaks the surface!  Then it came undone.  Ugh!!!!
Dad hooks up to a few more tarpon in the 20-30 pound range but they all came unbuttoned.  Then we get another snook on the big rod... another big smiling little boy struggling to stay on the boat does an amazing job fighting the 38" slob and we get it in the boat for a couple quick pictures before the release.  (drives me nuts how small this fish looks in the pic... real life seemed twice the size)
To end the night we had one more tarpon hook up, this one on a mullet... biggest of the night at between 40-50 pounds and we had the boat hollering and cheering him on to get it in the boat.  Fought it for a good minute or two but on his first jump (after a minute or two) the headshake was just too much for the tight drag and the line popped.  Ahh well... we had an amazing night, caught a bunch of big fish, and learned how much it cost to buy every car in the world.  :wink:

Can't wait 'til next year.

-Mag

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Awesome report Keith... what a terrific family outing you were able to host. Those memories will last forever!
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • Hunterand connorsdadHunterand connorsdad Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Sorry this is so late, but I've been busy running back and forth to Orlando for baseball all stars.  What can I say, GREAT night!!!! My boys can't stop talking about it.  If you or your child want to check catching a tarpon off your bucket list, call Captain Keith today, don't wait till tomorrow. He is very knowledgeable and very patient with kids. We have fiahed with him twice and will again next year. He keeps everything fun and the kids engaged. We jumped 6 tarpon, boated one (my fault, not his) and caught a huge snook. Keith is the is the go to guy for tarpon in SW Florida.  Can't wait till next summer!!! 
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,941 Captain
    Sweet catches.. Would love to get out on a trip like this, Have had a lot of people telling me to get into contact with you!
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 685 Officer
    Great Job!! Those boys will never forget the experience!!
    Jason :USA
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,691 Captain
    Sweet catches.. Would love to get out on a trip like this, Have had a lot of people telling me to get into contact with you!
    Well thank you and thanks to the people who have referred me also.
    Give me a shout.... maybe we can work something out for a trade of services.  I need some new pictures for my website, and it looks like you could help with that.

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters