What happened to my prop?

Sailfish2660Sailfish2660 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
just bough a brand new boat with a Yamaha F200. After being in the water for one day in the florida Keys, my prop turned a dull grey. It was shiny and polished when the boat was put in the water. 

Any thoughy as to why prop finish changed?

Replies

• Sailfish2660Sailfish2660 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Pics
    Pics

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 979 Officer
    edited June 3 #5
    I copied this response from another forum regarding a situation similar to yours. Hope this helps.

This happened to my new prop last year when I went to the Keys. Never figured out why, but my brand new stainless prop was stained a rust color. I thought it was rust but when I cleaned it there was no pitting or anything. Barkeeper Friend took it right off. Its never happened again and I use the boat at least once a week, saltwater only.

A response from a prop dealer.

Many times down in the Keys, you can get a lot of calcium in the water. Every time I send a test prop down to the Keys area, it looks like that when I get it back.
    Lime Away also works well to clean it.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,365 Admiral
      Just grind thru a sandbar on the way back..polishes them up real nice..
      Killin and Grillin :grin
    • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,659 Captain
      Make sure there is nothing disturbing the water in front of the prop (through hulls, transducers, etc)  Introduction of air in front of the prop will cause it to cavitate a bit, and that will cause that.
      In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams