Rare and endangered ARS

I have been fishing in the Keys for over 40 years and this year was the first time I have ever been run off of a spot on the Atlantic side by an overabundance of Red Snapper. We simply could not get a bait past them. I'm sure it won't be long before this rare and endangered species takes over the Keys reefs like they have in the Gulf.
25 Contender
17 Carolina Skiff

Replies

• swampapeswampape Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I have been fishing in the Keys for over 40 years and this year was the first time I have ever been run off of a spot on the Atlantic side by an overabundance of Red Snapper. We simply could not get a bait past them. I'm sure it won't be long before this rare and endangered species takes over the Keys reefs like they have in the Gulf.
    25 Contender
    17 Carolina Skiff
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 428 Deckhand
    I've been fishing the keys for almost 40 years as well but never caught a one down there.  Maybe I've been fishing too shallow, or just not the right spots.  I used to longline muttons out to 275' of water and caught plenty of mutton, but never a red.  Haven't caught any in my recent trips to north key largo, so this influx of reds must be restricted to the lower keys I guess.  You occasionally here of a couple of Miami, but not the huge numbers you find in the Gulf.
    I wouldn't have been surprised if I found them in the Marquesas or someplace off the beaten path but this huge school was right at the edge of the reef in front of KCB! Don't get me wrong...on the one hand I'm glad to see them making a comeback down there. On the other, if they come back in the numbers that we saw it will be tough sledding for anyone trying to bottom fish on the edge of the reef unless they loosen the regs a little. I'd hate to see bottom fishing down there turn into what it is in the Gulf...a mad scramble to keep bottom fish for a few days out of the year. The rest of the year you can't get a bait past them. 
    25 Contender
    17 Carolina Skiff
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 754 Officer
    Had to quit a wreck in 250 a few weeks ago because it was one ARS after another. Hope they lived!
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 428 Deckhand
    Again, I recently fished a couple of wrecks off Key Largo in 250' and no red snapper.  Guess that's a good thing I suppose.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,468 Captain
    got a big one off the 350' wreck down here
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bcarrbcarr Jax and MarathonPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Catch any 18" ones?
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,468 Captain
    about 30" had to feed 2 sharx= no kan keep
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All of them were 10#+... I can see it becoming like it is the Gulf right now... people will get upset because they keep catching them and nothing else to take home because there are too many of them 
    25 Contender
    17 Carolina Skiff
  • tautog1973tautog1973 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Learn how to paint them to look like muttons
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 754 Officer
    Don't worry, the government is working on it.