Home General Fishing

Florida Fishing Suggestions???

DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
My family and I have been either going to the Keys every summer or to the Weekie Wachee area.  We love Weekie Wachee and the scalloping but have found summer fishing to be really tough.  Our lack of success has been backed up by locals who say the summer is a challenging time to fish. The Keys are great but we've been doing that for years and we want to try something else a little closer. We fish out of an 18' CC and kayaks so I am looking for recommendations for an area that offers nearshore/inshore fishing. My son has mentioned the Jupiter area and I have looked at some areas in the Bend area all the way down the west coast but there are just so many areas. Can someone recommend an area that fits my bill?

Thanks!

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,344 Admiral
    Stienhacchee, St. Marks, Carrabelle/Lanark, or St Joe would all fit your bill.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Deckhand
    Cocoa beach/port Canaveral fishing off the beach in the summer gets good. Big schools of pogys (menhaden) right off the beach. everything from tarpon, kingfish, jacks, cobia, snook, and sharks.  Good back country fishing in the kayaks for all your inshore species. Sebastian inlet gets really good as well and is only an hour drive South. Lots of options around here

Everybody gets one

• NatureCoastGuideNatureCoastGuide Homosassa, Ceder Key FloridaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    Im a big fan of Cedar Key. Been there several times, they have excellent areas to Kayak fish. There is a guide there that is excellent he can give some great advice. His name is Daniel at Cedar Key Paddling.
    Here is his contact info. Cedar Key Paddling 
    Sheila Morgan
    Nature Coast Guides
    www.naturecoastguides.com
  • brpbrp Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    My two favorite places to go are Steinhatchee and Matlacha. Both are good for kayaks or CCs, in Steinhatchee, a kayak would allow you to fish way up inshore where only the airboats dare to go due to unmarked, lower-unit-killing-rocks. Matlacha on the other hand, has a ton of fish-able shoreline within an easy paddle and lots of hotels, but it is not clear water like Steinhatchee.

Specific to summertime in Matlacha are the big schools of Jack that cruise the flats. They are easy to find when they are hitting on top and they will eat anything, we also catch snook, trout and redfish there in summer.

• mikenavmikenav Posts: 858 Officer
    Check out a place called River Palms in Jensen Beach. You can dock your boat on property and be 10 minutes from the inlet. Maybe 15. You have river fishing with snook, reds, trout and tarpon, from the boat or the kayak, especially in the summer. Offshore should be flat enough to get the 18 out on the beach for BIG jacks or out a little further for dolphin or snapper, grouper and AJ's on the reefs and wrecks. 
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Thanks, I'll file this info away for the next vacation.  My son did some research and we ended up booking a place on Pine Island (Bokeelia) that is south of Boca Grande.  It turns out I have  a friend that has fished that area before and said it is quite fishy.  Looking forward to coming down.  I need some water time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited May 2018 #8
    Im a big fan of Cedar Key. Been there several times, they have excellent areas to Kayak fish. There is a guide there that is excellent he can give some great advice. His name is Daniel at Cedar Key Paddling.
    Here is his contact info. Cedar Key Paddling 
    Cedar Key paddling is a great outfit!

The Pine island area has some beautiful water and lots of snook!
  • brpbrp Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Dfreedom said:
    Thanks, I'll file this info away for the next vacation.  My son did some research and we ended up booking a place on Pine Island (Bokeelia) that is south of Boca Grande.  It turns out I have  a friend that has fished that area before and said it is quite fishy.  Looking forward to coming down.  I need some water time.
    You will not be disappointed. Bokeelia is just up the road from Matlacha, we do very well fishing for snook there in the summertime.
  • FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 143 Deckhand
    Cedar Key up to Keaton Beach all fit exactly what you're looking for.  

However, I'd book ASAP as cabins and rentals are booking FAST.

There's nothing up here in St Marks and Lanark that time of year... or any time of year for that matter   :D:D
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    You can see Cuba on A clear night.

The Curfew, light the candles, bring out the rum and dominoes! ;)

My friend retired there. His mother is Cuban and his father is Columbian.

Good for you. Congratulations! ;)

Grab A dozen shrimp for A buck. The reef fish will keep you busy.