Kings close to beach

Hardly ever trolled for kings before. Any tips on finding them close to the beach?. Can’t get out to far with an 18’ cc. 

Replies

• Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,330 Officer
    This was typically the weekend that the first king would come off the Pier and it'd be a big one too...obviously the pier lost alot of it's length so I doubt they will be getting many this season.  Anywhere just offshore (20' to 55') of the Redtops (PV INN & SPA), the pier, or ONE OCEAN (the old Seaturtle, also called SE Hole) should fire off very soon.  Go net you some pogies just south of the inlet by the poles...hand pick out the bigger ones.  Get some decent open faced reels with 20-30lb mono (big spinners will work but clicker helps and good drag system), some wire rigs with treble hooks, and slow troll them behind your boat.  You may need to slow your boat down if it idles fast with a bucket and rope off the back cleat(unless you have digital controls and you can do it there).  Ribbonfish are deadly on the beach on a downrigger or planer if that's all you have.  SZ and B & M carry them in the frozen bait sections..youtube how to rig a ribbonfish.  Good luck...keep mixing the spread up and changing baits, don't just sit for hours waiting for a bite.

-T
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,000 Captain
    i will be out there saturday, biggest concern is finding some pogies
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 746 Officer
    fsu11 said:
    Live mullet work good as well, saw a lot around chicopit last weekend. Guys off the pier used to catch them on everything from whiting/croaker to legal bluefish.

Sometimes they are not picky just want something lively.
    we need more internet money
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,401 Admiral
    Pogies shouldn't be a problem, with the SW winds expected.....they are all over st augustine inlet both north and south....so they'll be here too.

hint:.....if you only find bait say, at the desert, or at the red tops and no where else....then fish close to where the bait is....catch bait and work your boat eastward. 
    my concern is actually getting the pogies in my net haha, but thanks for the tip steve
  • FjFshNutFjFshNut Posts: 184 Deckhand
    fsu11 said:

There were plenty at Hanah Park last Friday & Saturday. Mostly smallish though.
    Sea's the Moment!
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Bait was at Hannah today but small. Fished Red tops, sharks, fished se Hole, sharks. Going to wait a few days before going back out.
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,870 Captain
    The bait has been thick both north and south of the Inlet. In the break at the poles around 15 feet or closer to the Sea Turtle Inn around 20 to 25 feet of water.

Here's a tutorial on my favorite cast net throwing technique. No sinker line in your mouth, no net on your shoulder, and dry. I throw up to a 12 foot net with this system.

When the Pogies are staying deep, I throw a 10 foot shrimp net(taped or webbed). They stay open longer and do a better job when pogies are in deeper water. I actually swap out 4 different nets depending on what I'm targeting, or the situation. 12 foot 5/8", 10 foot 3/8", 10 foot 3/8" webbed, 8 foot 1/4", 12 foot 1/4". In the summer I use the 1/4 inch mesh nets for Pilchards. Best Flounder bait that exists.

Bait was at Hannah today but small. Fished Red tops, sharks, fished se Hole, sharks. Going to wait a few days before going back out.
    thanks for the report hopefully there will be a few kings scattered among the sharks tomorrow gonna give it a shot
  • model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,033 Officer
    Thanks for the net throwing tutorial. I have never been comfortable with my net throwing. Maybe this method will fix that.
  • WeberWeber Posts: 110 Deckhand
    I seen a report on facebook of a guy caught a large king trolling close to the beach.  I caught a keeper trolling 9 mile.

For the guys cast netting from a boat close to the beach, do you see the pogies and toss at them, or are you blinding just throwing?  I've never brought my boat close to the beach line, always worried about the boat being pushed on shore from the waves.  Seen some videos of boats crashing on the beach, and I don't want to be that guy...
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco Posts: 238 Deckhand
    You see the pogies flip and you throw the net. The other day they were in 15 ft of water. Sometimes they are deeper. Look for pogies flipping, pelicans diving or if the water is clear a big dark spot where a school is. I am going to fish the beach tomorrow, hopefully the sharks are not as thick as last week.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 563 Officer
    ^^ yup , and also you can hear them flipping 
    No concerns being close to the beach and waves pushing the boat?
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 563 Officer
    Depends on how big the waves are:) if the size was a concern I probably wouldn’t have left the inlet, just use your judgement
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,061 Officer
    Weber said:

Just be careful if there is a decent swell and wind from the east.  Fishing St Augustine north of the inlet, you should be good up to 10 feet of depth, just keep an eye on your depth finder and be ready to motor back out if you start getting less than 10 feet.  I always keep one motor on if there is a east wind blowing and swells coming in.  I can't really speak to the area south of the inlet to about halfway to the pier, I never look for pogies there but the rest of the way to the pier is about the same guidelines for me as north of the inlet.  That 10 foot depth is kind of my comfort zone.
    Shel said:
    Weber said:

Just be careful if there is a decent swell and wind from the east.  Fishing St Augustine north of the inlet, you should be good up to 10 feet of depth, just keep an eye on your depth finder and be ready to motor back out if you start getting less than 10 feet.  I always keep one motor on if there is a east wind blowing and swells coming in.  I can't really speak to the area south of the inlet to about halfway to the pier, I never look for pogies there but the rest of the way to the pier is about the same guidelines for me as north of the inlet.  That 10 foot depth is kind of my comfort zone.
    Thanks!
  • GreenwingGreenwing Posts: 106 Deckhand
    For those of you concerned about lack of pogies, don't let that ruin a trip.  You can slow troll dead store bought cigar minnows/spanish sardines/threadfin herring/ballyhoo just as easy as you can live pogies and catch just as many kings.  If you are fishing the short reefs, one of my absolute favorite spots to sabiki up live bait and then fish is the Rabbits Lair (RL).  For what ever reason, every time I try and fish the east side, the pogies are never there so I have to make adjustments.  
    Greenwing said:
    For those of you concerned about lack of pogies, don't let that ruin a trip.  You can slow troll dead store bought cigar minnows/spanish sardines/threadfin herring/ballyhoo just as easy as you can live pogies and catch just as many kings.  If you are fishing the short reefs, one of my absolute favorite spots to sabiki up live bait and then fish is the Rabbits Lair (RL).  For what ever reason, every time I try and fish the east side, the pogies are never there so I have to make adjustments.  
    We used to take the king wire rigs with the little duster skirt on it, slap a frozen cigar minnow on there and wear out the kings, also have caught mahi cobia blackfin and sails on the set up down in port canaveral.

Im sure these fish wouldnt mind it either :)
    There are tons of Bonita around right now....get a glass minnow imitating jig and catch a few....google up how to make strip baits out of bonita sides.....have them salted and brined and ready for those trips with no bait.....rig double hook trailing a small feather or something, and you have a great king bait for the party grounds, and small to mid sized kings, the ones you are looking for.

just sayin...... 
    Sea Snake said:
    There are tons of Bonita around right now....get a glass minnow imitating jig and catch a few....google up how to make strip baits out of bonita sides.....have them salted and brined and ready for those trips with no bait.....rig double hook trailing a small feather or something, and you have a great king bait for the party grounds, and small to mid sized kings, the ones you are looking for.

just sayin...... 
    are they what you see splashing on the surface crashing bait off the beach a mile or so?
    YEPPER.....with Spanish mixed in also.....
    Sea Snake said:

just sayin...... 
    Or throw a couple trebles in them and troll them live looking for Mr. Big!!!
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,870 Captain
    Them Bonita's are everywhere right now. We wore em out two days ago on Rapala Sub Walks. Find the diving Gulls and sight cast the Bonita's as they bust the Glass Minnows. You can't miss em when they feed. They leap out of the water like Spanish.

• model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,033 Officer
    One fun fish to catch.
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    The bait has been thick both north and south of the Inlet. In the break at the poles around 15 feet or closer to the Sea Turtle Inn around 20 to 25 feet of water.

Here's a tutorial on my favorite cast net throwing technique. No sinker line in your mouth, no net on your shoulder, and dry. I throw up to a 12 foot net with this system.

When the Pogies are staying deep, I throw a 10 foot shrimp net(taped or webbed). They stay open longer and do a better job when pogies are in deeper water. I actually swap out 4 different nets depending on what I'm targeting, or the situation. 12 foot 5/8", 10 foot 3/8", 10 foot 3/8" webbed, 8 foot 1/4", 12 foot 1/4". In the summer I use the 1/4 inch mesh nets for Pilchards. Best Flounder bait that exists.

This is how I throw mine. Works GREAT!. Thanks for the continued great info Capt. Steve (Morocco)
    I'll have to video my way of throwing a big net.....I just pick it up and throw.....no teeth, no shoulders, no loops to remember....very simple and opens every time.....I can throw it next to the boat or 15 feet away.

I hate getting pogy slime on me first thing in the morning......and if you have ever thrown for mullet in a south florida canal at 4am.....you WILL find a way to not put it in your mouth.
  • no slackno slack Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Great video Sandy I'm going to try that method, would love to see how sea snake throws his also.  I still use the old teeth method and shrimping two 2 years ago was pretty nasty in Palatka with all the mud.  really don't like that method but it's all I knew
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    no slack said:
    Great video Sandy I'm going to try that method, would love to see how sea snake throws his also.  I still use the old teeth method and shrimping two 2 years ago was pretty nasty in Palatka with all the mud.  really don't like that method but it's all I knew
    Can't take credit for that. Morocco Madness posted it. It's exactly how I throw mine though. I threw mine for many years in the Palatka mud using my teeth. Many years of bad, foul smelling gunk. Once I learned the method in the video, I never looked back. The key to all of it is to hold on to that lead line in your weak hand until the last second. Don't let it go all at once. When you throw just hold it for a split second before you let it go. Pancake every time. If you let it all go at once you'll get a banana every time. Good luck, it's real easy to learn. 
    Snatch-Um said:
    ...  You may need to slow your boat down if it idles fast with a bucket and rope off the back cleat(unless you have digital controls and you can do it there). ...

-T
    Does anyone uses their trolling motor to slow troll for kingfish?