Home General Fishing

Spinning Reels for kids?

greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
edited May 2018 in General Fishing #1
I have two nephews, 7 and 8 years old. They fish freshwater primarily. When they were younger I got them Zebco 33’s to fish with. But now that they are older I want to get them spinning reels. 

Do you guys have any recommendations for kids at that age. To give a hint of what quality I was looking at, I won’t use those cheapy Shakespeare reels that come on the Ugly Stik combos. The rods are great, it’s just those reels fall apart all the time.

And $60 on a 2000/3000 Fierce is too much to spend on a kids reel right now. So somewhere in between that quality and price.

Thankyou

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 789 Officer
    I would say that they aren't old enough yet but thinking about it I was casting baitcasting rods at their age.  I guess I would look around for a good used Mitchell 300. 
  • gatorsaintgatorsaint Posts: 186 Deckhand
    The Pflueger President is a good reel you can get for around $50. I have a friend that swears the Shimano Sienna is a good cheap reel, they are around $30.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,094 Captain
    For two $20 reels that fall apart(X2), you can get a couple decent setups that will last a bit longer.

The presidents will hold up and most of the bubblepack shimanos even for $40 to $60.
    I spent a lot of money on the boys growing up, cheap is not cheap.
    Once they learn to care for them and not lay them in the mud that $60 will be well spent.
    Hit some garage sales?
    When my last Shakespeare reels blew up, I replaced with little shimano AX 1000.
    Still use them for pinfish and pitching beetlespins at the lake. 4 or 5 yrs but like I said, they learned to not toss them in the dirt.:)
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • JmacjjsJmacjjs Posts: 24 Deckhand
    I concur with the Pflueger President.  My 9yr old has been using one for the last two years with no issues.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 789 Officer
    I woild like to revise my opinion. I was at Cooks Sporting Goods today. I lookef at some Quantum rod and reel combos for 40 nucks that looked like good starter setups for anyone.  The million dollar ? Is where and how often would they be used

• greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    Thankyou guys!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,503 AG
    Lostconch said:
    I woild like to revise my opinion. I was at Cooks Sporting Goods today. I lookef at some Quantum rod and reel combos for 40 nucks that looked like good starter setups for anyone.  The million dollar ? Is where and how often would they be used

The cheap diawa combos at **** Sporting goods are about 24-29 dollars are 2-3 use only before they break.  I do not suggest those.   The anti reverse breaks the 1st time you use it and the rods fall apart if you say the words salt water. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    greyreefshark
    Where are you located?  I have a few that need a new home.  Free of charge since it's for the children

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    greyreefshark
    Where are you located?  I have a few that need a new home.  Free of charge since it's for the children

Nice
    You should have been here yesterday
    greyreefshark

Tailchaser16, 

That is So Cool and Awesome of you Tailchaser! I would have been right on that for sure! But I’m in Illinois right now. When I’m in Florida, I’m in Pompano Beach.
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    oh well, message me whenever you are in Pompano, I am in North Miami Beach.   I have a pretty good assortment of spinners, nothing fancy but will get the job done!.

I sure the heck will Tailchaser!👍 Thanks Greatly man! That is very kind of you.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,640 Admiral
    You can find some pretty good reels at yard sales sometimes.  Yrs ago I used Ebay could get some good Penn reels reasonable back then $15-$20.  Don't know about now though.
  • BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 33 Greenhorn
    greyreefshark

Nice
    👍👍👍
    Probably a good thing if your going to put your reel in the sand for a pic
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    Good Morning Saltygatorvet. :) From my understanding gators are far more domesticated than crocs. ;)
    It's moss on a stone during an ebb. I never ate an Alidile or a Crocigator. I heard some sportsman or
    politically correct sportspeople have bow hunting endorsements to take one. The lure is nothing but A wobbler.

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I learned the hard way if kids are going to have fun and enjoy fishing get the cheap reels and consider it disposable. If it lasts a year I was happy. Lucky for me Bridgmasters in Lk Wales had refurbished reels for a good price. Funny thing is a have a refurbished bass pro qualifier I got for $12 about 18 years ago and it's still works after many a dunking. It's now the reel I let non fishing friends use for beach and wade fishing. You'd be surprised how many 50 year olds will dunk a reel after you tell them to keep it out of the water.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    edited May 2018 #20
    DTH, that’s cool, if you want to put your gear on a salty patch of moss, then go for it. And that is a pretty cool lure. Looks like a spoon. It would be a more effective video for the manufacturer if it showed a fish eat it in that crystal clear water