Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Alberto

2»

Replies

• AnchorbaitAnchorbait FloridaPosts: 134 Deckhand
    Strange as Alligator Point Rd still has not repaired from the last event but not sure why. Those roads are in bad shape.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,585 Admiral
    Well if coastal/beach property insurance isn't inflated, there is no way I would own inland Fla. property. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain

Like I said: I don't know for a fact that our insurance is higher because of this---what I was told---but it wouldn't be a big surprise to find out that it is correct. Wish we could find out!

We did buy a rental house as an investment and USAA refused to cover it---said the Company would no longer cover houses in Florida because of the state's requirements.

If this IS correct, we need to clean house politically. If I had sense enough to buy a house site 42 feet above the 100 year flood mark, and clear out all trees capable of reaching the house during a hurricane, build out of solid logs dovetailed on the ends to interlock the logs (Appalachian culture kicking in, survival you know) I should not have to underwrite anyone who simply wants to live on the beach!  

• Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 701 Officer
    Woods.....I see the problem. They have your coverage category as "Wooden Fort".    lol  

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Beach front Homeowners, Flood and property taxes are much higher for sure.
    Woods has a home built of exotic timber and they can't fathom what the cost of replacement is.
    God, save the South!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain

Unfortunately you are pinging on target, ande. USAA did say that since I could not get an MAI appraisal on my place that they, USAA, were not sure what replacement costs would be in the event of major hurricane damage.

So let my fierce "independent nature" be an example for you not to follow! In today's society and business world (we are no longer a Republic but rather a Corporate Oligarchy) just get on the train and ride along like everyone else. Be a "herd animal", sell your soul to the "Company Store", and do what Monsanto and Cargill and Wells Fargo tell you to do!

"Course I tell myself that if a Category Five storm did make landfall at Panacea and we lost everything, I'd get the Wood Miser Sawmill I have access to, go over to my land in Washington County and cut 120-150 year old Longleaf and everything else I needed and build another log house. Have to remind myself that I'll be 80 years old in a few months and can't work like I once could, but I'll be dammed if I wouldn't try to!    

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    edited May 2018 #38
    The problem started several years ago for owners of second homes and rental homes.

"The cost of flood insurance on second homes in Florida is about to get a lot more expensive. Rates are scheduled to rise at least 25 percent a year until the true cost of insurance is being charged. "

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/flood-insurance-on-second-homes-to-rise-25-in-fla-

This is why I paid off my remaining mortgage and cancelled my flood insurance several years ago.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG

Unfortunately you are pinging on target, ande. USAA did say that since I could not get an MAI appraisal on my place that they, USAA, were not sure what replacement costs would be in the event of major hurricane damage.

So let my fierce "independent nature" be an example for you not to follow! In today's society and business world (we are no longer a Republic but rather a Corporate Oligarchy) just get on the train and ride along like everyone else. Be a "herd animal", sell your soul to the "Company Store", and do what Monsanto and Cargill and Wells Fargo tell you to do!

"Course I tell myself that if a Category Five storm did make landfall at Panacea and we lost everything, I'd get the Wood Miser Sawmill I have access to, go over to my land in Washington County and cut 120-150 year old Longleaf and everything else I needed and build another log house. Have to remind myself that I'll be 80 years old in a few months and can't work like I once could, but I'll be dammed if I wouldn't try to!    

Happy Birthday season Woodsrunner!!!!!!!!!!!!!