Home General Fishing

Picking the right cast net ?

a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
Wanting to buy an learn how to throw a cast net .
Something I  have very little experience in .
So I have a few questions an any info yall can give me would be greatly appreciated .
What size ? What length ? How big or small the mesh should be ? An techniques to throwing ?
Like I said very little experience so any help is good help . 
Thanks .

Replies

• Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 117 Deckhand
    Id go for an 8 foot if its your first net it should be easy, I pancake a 12 footer and i'm 15 yrs old and 6ft 170 pounds and its easy as cake after some practice. I recommend researching the triple load method its the best one for sure and about mesh size it depends on the size bait I own a 3/8 and a 1/4 and use both frequently. The best brands of cast nets are humpback and barracuda cant go wrong with either I fish religiously and those nets just hold up great  
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,020 Officer
    Triple load, Humpback or Barracuda and go with a 10' 3/8th to start. I have about 15 cast nets for various needs. Once you get dialed in on live bait you'll catch more fish in Tampa Bay. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited May 2018 #4
    While I agree with Fusion on the best single sized net (10', 3/8"), but I tend to agree with Diego that learning on a smaller 8' net has some advantages.  I'd also suggest you consider not spend all that money on an expensive one -- and instead buy something relatively cheap -- you'll certainly make mistakes like throwing it in the wrong place early in your bait catching career. 

Bottom line for a beginner:  I'd get a relatively inexpensive 8' 3/8" net and go from there.  At worst, it will be a good backup net to keep on the boat. 

As for technique -- there are plenty of videos on youtube to learn the different techniques -- I've found that the technique that works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another, so I'd try a few and see which one works for you.  I use a bit of a modified triple load technique, personally.

Good luck....Mike
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I'd pick an 8', 3/8" for my first net (assuming you're looking for pilchards, pinfish, and maybe some finger mullet).  I agree with Mike not to spend the money on a Humpback or similar for your first net (I have a Humpback and love it by the way).  Maybe consider a Calusa Cracker or Baitbuster or something like that.  If you do want to spend the money on a good net Tim Wade makes a good one.  
    I'll also second the triple load method.  I think that's the easiest way to start throwing a net and getting it to open up consistently.

Good luck.  Have fun!

-Mag

PS... find a really nice piece of lawn to practice in... like a soccer field or something.  It's so much easier than practicing in the water.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TopshotTopshot Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Tarponator is right.  The others are also right.
    Find one at a yard sale, pawn shop, craigslist, etc.  
    Not too big, too heavy, or too expensive to begin with.
    You will snag and eventually destroy it or figure out what suits your needs & get rid of it.
    Once you get the hang of it you will get more in the future...
  • MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Deckhand
    Go big or go home. 14' 1" mesh mullet net.

Everybody gets one

• BinderBinder Posts: 4,003 Captain
    edited May 2018 #8
    It all depends on where you are throwing it. If on the beach throwing from shore I'd go with an 8' 1/4 mesh, if on a 5' grass flat I'd go with a 10' 3/8 mesh and if throwing in 20'+ I'd go with a 12' 5/8 mesh.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Binder said:
    It all depends on where you are throwing it. If on the beach throwing from shore I'd go with an 8' 1/4 mesh, if on a 5' grass flat I'd go with a 10' 3/8 mesh and if throwing in 20'+ I'd go with a 12' 5/8 mesh.

Good point. I have a 7 foot, 1/4 bait buster I use for my kayak and the beach and that is more then enough. 
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    I read a thread last night on another forum from a commercial net guy that was counter to everything I've thought about cast net weights.  He gave some examples of of when to use less weight in deep water and when to use heavy weight in shallow water and of course more weight in deep water too.  It seems he carried several nets with him.

I have a 6ft, 3/8" net that has worked on ok for finger mullet and pilchards at times but has been useless for ballyhoo or bait in deep water.  My skills of course playing into this.

I have 2 nets in my shopping cart for Tim Wade nets but have been second guessing myself on weight.  I can't decide if I want the standard 1.25lb or 1.5lb 
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Depends on what sort of bait you are targeting. I have a 10' 3/8" with 1.5lb per foot for my general use net (pin fish, green backs etc) and a 12" 5/8" with 2lb per foot for deep water larger baits. The big net also really helps for faster moving baits as it sinks very fast. Size wise I would suggest the biggest net you can throw effectively. I also prefer heavier nets.