Aggressive Shark Charges Kayak - off Pompano Beach - 11 May 2018

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
edited May 15 in General Paddle Craft #1
I have had a few sharks follow me around, circle me angrily, or bump the bottom of my kayak when I pull half my fish away from them. Twice they have banged into my kayak(I believe trying to eat the Solas Reflective Tape).  This video is the first time one deliberately splashed me with his tail, lucky for us the water is warm and felt good.  It was an exhilarating experience.  Minutes earlier, I had broke off a big shark that I had reeled up from 200ft.  Probably unrelated, but when this one came charging in towards me, It felt like retaliation for bringing the other one up.


Replies

  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Looks like you have fish stored on the deck.  Any possibility blood leaked down into drive area?  Tuna scraps?  
    He was definitely fired up.
    My kayak has also been hit in the past, but when I'm reeling in a fish or when blood leaked out of fish bag.
    Cool video!
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,671 Captain
    I'd be packing some heat after that. That's just me though.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • krashkrash Posts: 568 Officer
    Looks like there was a hunk of meat hanging as chummmm that worked, hope the dude has a spare pair of shorts.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand
    That shark definitely wanted more than to say hello.  The splash and then to circle/follow.....think he was looking for a quick meal and didn't care if it was fish or fisherman.  Cool video.......
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
    Garysmo said:
    That shark definitely wanted more than to say hello.  The splash and then to circle/follow.....think he was looking for a quick meal and didn't care if it was fish or fisherman.  Cool video.......
    He seemed pissed off, not just the usual excited and looking for a meal.  Them Hammerheads are moody.

    krash said:
    Looks like there was a hunk of meat hanging as chummmm that worked, hope the dude has a spare pair of shorts.
    The chunk in the water was a strip bait for mahi that I had reeled in while fighting a shark earlier.  LOL -- Always carry a pair of dry clothes in the car for the drive home.

    conchydong said:
    I'd be packing some heat after that. That's just me though.
    During my youth when shark fishing was completely unregulated, I worked for a sportfishing skipper that sometimes unleashed his 30/30 rifle on sharks.  The bullets had almost no effect unless they hit a critical area.  I have considered carrying heat or a bang stick, but it would be one more piece of gear to worry about rusting, and a major concern of accidentally discharge.     

    Whelan said:
    Looks like you have fish stored on the deck.  Any possibility blood leaked down into drive area?  Tuna scraps?  
    He was definitely fired up.
    My kayak has also been hit in the past, but when I'm reeling in a fish or when blood leaked out of fish bag.
    Cool video!
    Correct, I had a bunch of chopped up Little Tunny on the deck, on standby in case I came across a school of Mahi.  Most likely the kayak's mahi chum added to the shark's vigor.
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Do you carry any sort of a shark stick or knife with you ? I ask only because if that kayak goes over your video could be quite different. I have caught a few bonnet heads myself but that was in very shallow water. Last week on my bay boat I hooked a very angry what I'm sure was 3-4 ft Bull. It pulled way harder than those Bonnets. In a kayak it would have got my attention.   
    image-logo.png
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 143 Deckhand
    My buddy wants me to take him offshore in kayak and do that...I told him I would, but would not get in the kayak.  

    "I like to be at the top of the foodchain."

    The man in grey seems to like/follow me and have had enough close encounters in skinny water to know it's not the one you see you have to worry about.

    That said - enjoy your trips out.  Just not my cup of tea.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
    SportsFan said:
    Do you carry any sort of a shark stick or knife with you ? I ask only because if that kayak goes over your video could be quite different. I have caught a few bonnet heads myself but that was in very shallow water. Last week on my bay boat I hooked a very angry what I'm sure was 3-4 ft Bull. It pulled way harder than those Bonnets. In a kayak it would have got my attention.   
    No, years back when I lost the tail end of a big wahoo to a shark, I did some research into carrying a bang stick.   Eventually I decided against it as it would be one more piece of gear to worry about rusting, and a major concern of accidentally discharge.  I do carry knives and a 6ft gaff.  If a shark is bumping the kayak, I would give him a sharp jab in the nose with the back end of the gaff.  I have brought up bull sharks up to 8ft in length offshore on the kayak.   
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
    jbdba01 said:
    My buddy wants me to take him offshore in kayak and do that...I told him I would, but would not get in the kayak.  

    "I like to be at the top of the foodchain."

    The man in grey seems to like/follow me and have had enough close encounters in skinny water to know it's not the one you see you have to worry about.

    That said - enjoy your trips out.  Just not my cup of tea.
    Been followed by sharks on multiple occasions.  They are interested in getting a free meal as we reel in a fish.  If a 16ft Great White showed up, I would probably **** myself, but fortunately they are rare in our area.  In Northern California where the Great Whites are more common, their have been several attacks on kayaks, but each time the shark has hit the kayak once, and then swam off.  They are intelligent, and once the realize the mistake, the don't hang around.
    The shark element just adds to the intrigue of kayak fishing.  I will continue to enjoy my cup of tea -- Thanks.
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    OK, yeah that makes sense. The last thing we need in a kayak is more stuff. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do carry a divers knife and also have a 6 ft park and pole. No matter what always be safe first.  
    image-logo.png
Sign In or Register to comment.