Fishing Near commercial pinfish trap

mightyburnmightyburn Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Does anyone know if it's illegal to fish near a pinfish trap?  I was catching bait on a grass flat that had some pinfish traps and I was about 75 feet from one of the buoys, and a guy came out on his jon boat and started screaming at me saying that he just called FWC to come and arrest me for catching bait near his traps. He said it was illegal to fish within 100ft of a buoy.

I've spent an unhealthy amount of time researching this to no avail.  This flat is always loaded with white bait, so i don't want to give up my bait spot because someone threw a few traps near it. Thanks in advance

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,235 Captain
    edited May 22 #2
    I doubt that is true. Fish away,
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,806 Captain
    Does anyone know if it's illegal to fish near a pinfish trap?  I was catching bait on a grass flat that had some pinfish traps and I was about 75 feet from one of the buoys, and a guy came out on his jon boat and started screaming at me saying that he just called FWC to come and arrest me for catching bait near his traps. He said it was illegal to fish within 100ft of a buoy.

I've spent an unhealthy amount of time researching this to no avail.  This flat is always loaded with white bait, so i don't want to give up my bait spot because someone threw a few traps near it. Thanks in advance
    What this guy told you is untrue. Not a violation.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,014 Officer
    The commercial guys get persnickety when they think you might be stealing the bait/fish/etc. that they are taking from public waters. 

No law restricting you from fishing near any buoys for fish or crab traps.  Just try not to snag it cause if you do lift the buoy/rope/trap you might get shot.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,224 Officer
    Should have asked him to make the call, then you could have informed the FWC officer that he was interfering with your lawful fishing and you wished to file a complaint!