Fighting for public access open fishery

13»

Replies

• Capt. C.Capt. C. Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    You’re absolutely correct. The Headboat survey has been providing accountability for the headboats. That accountability and higher standard that we are held to should come with added privilege. And you keep speaking as though “I” am harvesting them. I’m simply giving the non Boat owning Americans “THEIR” access. Keeping “THEIR” level of harvest where it historically has been...proven by the Headboat survey. 
  • CaptECaptE Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    At least you're civil Tom, maybe you can get Bob to have some civility and we can all work towards a fishery managment that's fair to all concerned. 
    Commercial has already gone ifq and feds pushing charter for hire that way.  6 pack boats have vms installed and submitting daily fish reports.  What do you suggest?  Feds are the ones that control the game.  Fishermen fighting each other gains nothing.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,576 Captain
    Capt C - nobody is calling for "less access" for the "non-boat-owning Americans" - charter and head boats provide a very important component of our coastal communities - I personally cannot imagine going into a marina without them being there.   You don't need to gain ownership of OUR fish, (and yes, they are OUR fish), in order to provide fair and equitable access for any American.  I am a headboat customer, a charter boat customer, and I own my own boat - why should it matter what platform my feet are standing upon to determine "my access"?  It shouldn't - I'm an American citizen - period, with no more, no less rights than any other American.    CatpE - agreed.   It is the Feds' working in collusion with the enviro groups to provide the avenue to privatize OUR fish - THAT is why state management is a viable alternative to the corrupt, inept, dishonest fisheries management called NOAA Fisheries.   Historically, Gulf headboats have accounted for about 14% of all recreationally-landed red snapper - however, over in the western Gulf, Texas headboats somehow account for about 70% of all Texas recreational red snapper, and that includes the contentious red snapper caught in Texas state waters.  Yet, THAT is what Roy Crabtree believes is viable "best scientific data available".   He also believes that Texas charter boats landed about 91 pounds of red snapper each during the ENTIRE 46 day 2016 season - Alabama charter boats landed over 5,000 pounds of red snapper each during that same year, which I believe to be a more accurate representation.  EDF/CFA folks will point to "latent" permits as the reason, but it's just a ruse.   Once ELBs (electronic log books) come into implementation, the REAL Texas landings (probably close to 500,000 pounds) will affect ALL for-hire boat access in the entire Gulf - this will be coupled with the realization that the 46, 49, 51 day for-hire seasons had absolutely no correlation to TRUE for-hire landings and the new accountability provided by ELBs will drastically REDUCE access for the "non-boat-owning Americans".   The answer is to throw the concept of Catch Shares in the trash where they belong, and let's go back to REAL fisheries management.   The answer is to get COMMERCIAL IFQ SHAREHOLDERS out of OUR recreational fisheries, which is what is happening when they take RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN on a fishing trip (that can't be called a fishing trip), FOR "FREE", with no seasons or daily bag limits.  How can legit charter/headboat services compete with that?  They can't.   The answer is to head off the move to intersector trading which is surely to come once it is realized that the for-hire outfits don't have enough fish to take their customers fishing.  This has ALREADY happened in the ONLY other recreational fishery in the United States regulated under a Sector Separation scenario; the Alaska Halibut fishery.  The charter guys up there have to "lease" their fish from their local Sea Lord at $7/pound (or whatever the Sea Lord wants to charge), so in addition to paying for a normal charter fee, their customer also have to shell out $700 for each 100 pound halibut(s).   It's a scam where they have diverted our nation's royalties away from the nation/fisheries and into private bank accounts.   THIS is what has been driving ALL of this madness for the last 12 years.   The answer is to outlaw Catch Shares in our nation's recreational fisheries, delegate fisheries management to state fisheries commissions, and eliminate quota-based management for recreational fisheries (who cares what a trout, redfish, or flounder weighs even though there are exponentially more fishermen fishing 365 days/year for them and they are doing fine).   The answer is to require that ALL commercial fishermen (actually doing the fishing) pay the government royalties for the privilege of profiting from the harvest of OUR Public Trust Resources, and to prohibit anyone from "leasing" OUR fish to other Americans - NOBODY has that right, and the Federal government certainly does not have the right to GIVE AWAY ownership of OUR Public Trust Resources.   The royalty could be something like $1/pound - this would eliminate so-called Sea Lords, level the playing field, provide a legit avenue to enter the fishery for new entrants, and the nation would actually receive a fair return on its investment (millions of dollars per year going into our treasury instead of private bank accounts).   UNTIL this move to privatize our fisheries is dealt with head-on, nothing will change in regards to providing more access for ALL Americans.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,224 Officer
    Well said Mr. Hilton
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,621 Captain
    " why should it matter what platform my feet are standing upon to determine "my access"?   The answer is to throw the concept of Catch Shares in the trash where they belong, and let's go back to REAL fisheries management.   The answer is to outlaw Catch Shares in our nation's recreational fisheries, delegate fisheries management to state fisheries commissions, and eliminate qu  UNTIL this move to privatize our fisheries is dealt with head-on, nothing will change in regards to providing more access for ALL Americans. ota-based management for recreational fisheries "
    Agreed 100 % PERIOD!  The key here is "more access for ALL Americans"! All should enjoy equal access. Some with a vested interest think differently.
    "Fishermen fighting each other gains nothing."  Been saying the same thing for years. 
    I have been fighting for not only more but equal access for years. 
     I love our great sport. Being on the water is as close to paradise on earth as anything could possibly be. I just returned from a 63 hour deep drop trip, what an experience. I will be sharing this amazing adventure with fellow sportsmen/women on one of the best forums in the nation, Florida Sportsman. Boy! Once you pass 100 fathoms, things sure change. Join me in paradise:

How does that get accomplished Tom?   I've not seen the Fed's give up control of anything in my lifetime.   The commercial ifq holders are not gonna give up their cash cow either.  
    What avenues are available to stop what's coming from Magnusson?  My industry is trying to work within the current law as written.  How can the snowball be stopped 3/4 of the way down the mountain?   I would like to know because I don't see a remedy. 
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,224 Officer
    I don`t ever recall seeing anything that said the IFQ system was guaranteed to continue in perpetuity when it was first implemented. If fact I recall discussion from those that bought into it that there were no guarantees it would be around in 5 years................Unfortunately it is still here.
    More NOAA control!  
    CaptE said:
    How does that get accomplished Tom?   I've not seen the Fed's give up control of anything in my lifetime.   The commercial ifq holders are not gonna give up their cash cow either.  
    What avenues are available to stop what's coming from Magnusson?  My industry is trying to work within the current law as written.  How can the snowball be stopped 3/4 of the way down the mountain?   I would like to know because I don't see a remedy. 
    Well, the first step is for members of your industry to step up and to acknowledge to the regulators that the gifting of ownership of our Public Trust Resources to private entities is not moral nor in the best long term interests of ALL Americans.   That would be a good start.   Unfortunately, due to this flawed process, many in the commercial fishing industry are afraid to speak out against this, knowing that the Sea Lords would not like that and would probably refuse to lease them “their” fish.   Right is right and wrong is wrong, and simply hiding behind the statement that “our industry is simply trying to work within the law as written” is not good enough - sorry.  If gifting away ownership of our resources to private entities is such a great thing, then why don’t we do it across the board for ALL industries profiting from the harvest of our resources?   (Answer: because it’s unAmerican and certainly NOT in the best interests of our nation.
    So charter for hire and headboat captains can just go tell somebody they are wrong and it'll all go back.  I've never met a "sea lord"  I have spoken to the gulf council and researchers from the State of Florida.   Don't see how that's going to reverse Magnusson.
    I'm not a commercial fisherman tom.  I couldn't afford to buy in.  I run a headboat and have run charter boats as well as private boats.
    edited May 22 #74
    Yessir.  This needs to be discussed at Congressional/Commerce level.  The Gulf Council ain’t gonna address it.
    I've been telling my customers to call their Congressmen for 5 or 6 years now about fishery issues.   I take 8 to 10 thousand people fishing a year...  I haven't seen a benefit from calling/emailing representatives in Washington.   I  see no light away from magnusson.   
    Know what you mean. Hopefully the re-write of M/S will make a difference. Hope we can keep EDF out of it! 
13»