I want to Duck hunt

amanda121287amanda121287 WestchesterPosts: 1 Greenhorn
I would like to hunt ducks around or within 2 hours of Tampa
I've hunted birds but never Duck

I appreciate any help
Thanks You!

Replies

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,371 Officer
    Tampa Bay.  So good last year news did a story on how much shooting the duck hunters were doing.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain
    Visit...www.uw-f.org
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,305 Officer
    edited May 18 #4
    I would like to hunt ducks around or within 2 hours of Tampa
    I've hunted birds but never Duck

I appreciate any help
    Thanks You!

You might need to tell a bit more about yourself and hang out here for a while and participate.  Not many are going to take someone out with a first post. I invited a newby out next year for a duck hunt after he had been around awhile and it seems like he is a good enough guy.  I think its important to take those who want to start hunting out and it seems like this forum attracts a lot of first timers. Its too bad there is not a central place to get those who actually WANT to go hunting, out in the field with the guidance they seek.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Pics first plz...
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,549 Captain
    Beware. If you google amanda121287, you’ll find this person joined hunting and fishing forums all over the US a couple of days ago. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 851 Officer
    Beware. If you google amanda121287, you’ll find this person joined hunting and fishing forums all over the US a couple of days ago. 
    You could always direct her to one of those YouTube stars in the Tampa Bay Area.....one with a chocolate lab and law enforcement background comes to mind. 
    H20dad said:
    You could always direct her to one of those YouTube stars in the Tampa Bay Area.....one with a chocolate lab and law enforcement background comes to mind. 
    Who is that?
    H20dad said:
    Who is that?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8BMwu-BCuZw

Warning, it is painful to watch. His other video I saw with early shooting has been removed. That one was sad and hilarious at he same time. 
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,665 Admiral
    trophy teal cant believe i watched all of it, but I learned a lot about hunting that area great spot
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:
    Who is that?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8BMwu-BCuZw

Warning, it is painful to watch. His other video I saw with early shooting has been removed. That one was sad and hilarious at he same time. 
    I don't know enough about duck hunting to know what I'm seeing. Are they doing something unethical, or are they just not good at it? 
    Benny hill version of duck hunting.

In his other more famous video he was shooting almost an hour before legal time and hit one bird for ~40 shots. 

This video says I can’t have the dog retrieve and then, he has the dog retrieve. He’s a sky busting fool. I haven’t seen the video in a few weeks and won’t watch it again to pick apart all the other issues. He needs a good mentor and someone to teach him about hunting. It’s not about shooting a gun at stuff. 
    H20dad said:
    Benny hill version of duck hunting.

In his other more famous video he was shooting almost an hour before legal time and hit one bird for ~40 shots. 

This video says I can’t have the dog retrieve and then, he has the dog retrieve. He’s a sky busting fool. I haven’t seen the video in a few weeks and won’t watch it again to pick apart all the other issues. He needs a good mentor and someone to teach him about hunting. It’s not about shooting a gun at stuff. 
    I'm gonna play Devils Advocate here. I heard someone on the video that needs to practice on a call. Not much more.  I questioned the cant have the dog retrieve thing too but saw he had him tied up.  Would be easy to walk the dog out for a swim with a duck on the water. I wouldn't let my dog bound out on those Oysters either. 

I gave up judging what distance others are shooting at on video (hint; it looks farther) or from my blind (hint; light travels faster than sound).

How do you know he shot an hour before legal?

There is a forum that has discussed it, people on that forum witnessed his actions.  His deleted video has people who were a couple hundred yards away from him and he was shooting at birds over their decoys. Seriously moronic stuff. Fwc was contacted about it. The guys in the other blind heard the shooting early. He commented about them cussing him. 
    Hmm. Deleting a video tells a story in itself.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    edited May 21 #16
    Watching that video, I didn't really see what the big deal was either.  I do think that guy is a D bag.  Only because he said I can't let my dog retrieve birds with this oyster bar... and then did anyways.  I've got a chocolate too and no f'n way am i letting her charge through oysters.  What a D.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,542 Admiral
    Why not keep a rod with a treble hook and weight handy to cast out and snag shot birds?   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,371 Officer
    Why not keep a rod with a treble hook and weight handy to cast out and snag shot birds?   

Would that fall in legal methods of take. Can a lead sinker be used? know in LOX alligators must be dispatched with non lead bullets.  When does the legal action of take end?
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,542 Admiral
    Interesting question.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • shempshemp Posts: 493 Deckhand
    1) OP, I would consider a guide if I were you

2) thought a treble on a line was somewhat common practice...but I don't duck hunt to speak of and would be interested to know if it is a violation (may save my buds some hassle in the future)

3) the fish hole is a brave place to be kayaking around once you start having to drag around lay-downs...some crazy cottonmouths & gators in there

4) what was the news story y'all saw?
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    Hmm, I've kinda been picking up that using a rod for retrieving birds was pretty common too.  Is that not the case?
    And as far as Amanda is concerned she should post up if she is legit. I have a feeling she is not.
    spangler said:
    Watching that video, I didn't really see what the big deal was either.  I do think that guy is a D bag.  Only because he said I can't let my dog retrieve birds with this oyster bar... and then did anyways.  I've got a chocolate too and no f'n way am i letting her charge through oysters.  What a D.

Id send my dog on retrieves off an oyster bar.  But Id walk her out to deep enough water so her feet werent pushing off  bottom and I wouldn't let her run loose on that Island. I didn't see any of that happening in the video so you are right Spangler, not a big deal.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Only prob I can see w a rod and a hook to retrieve quackers, is you may retrieve a decoy line along w the toss. We have to retrieve saltwater kills pretty quickly or a tide or the wind may take them away. Guy in the video appears to be a little naive but nice. He also did a little muzzle blast next to his buddies ear if I remember the correct video. He always conveys his setup and the location is bound to produce a limit, only to kill one or two it seems like. Hope I'm not confusing the videos as it's been a while since seeing them. Agree about dog & oyster beds.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"