Spanish and Blues at Mayport Jetties 5/14

Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,401 Captain
Last of the outgoing tide had the whole area dirty, but the incoming tide brought in a nice clean rip line at the south jetty tip. It was right over the submerged rocks with strong currents...most every pass hooked up. Using a $1 knock-off Clark Spoon about 8 ft. behind an inline weight. Tried to get it a little deeper going parallel to the submerged rocks and closer to the surface running over the rocks, for obvious reasons. Now I have about a gallon of smoked fish dip to work on...haha

Replies

• model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,007 Officer
    Good on ya. One of my favorite things to do is troll Clark spoons at the jetty tips for Spanish and Blues.
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 42 Greenhorn
    Great job. I just went offshore last friday and had a great day for my first day with captains hat on. But i really want to catch the spanish and troll close. What was the weight of your inline weights? Thanks
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,401 Captain
    Jesse, I don't recall off hand. They are about the diameter of a pencil, and 2 inches long. I hook a short 3" to 7" wire leader with swivel directly behind the lead, as the fish will hit the lead...and just like the spoon, usually bite it at the rear end...so the short wire leader prevents the mono and spoon from being bitten off.. I will sometimes let the spoon and weight sink while moving just forward enough to keep everything untangled. When it gets near the bottom, I will fast idle which raises the spoon up through the water. I have gotten a lot of hits while it was coming up diagonally...sometimes as it's sinking too.. When the birds are picking the glass minnows off the surface, I keep the spoon closer to the surface. Really, when they are thick, it's hard not to get hooked up!
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 42 Greenhorn
    Thankyou, i picked up some of those inline weights and will be headed to the jetties soon.
    I checked them today, they are 1 1/4 oz, but I have also used some a little larger, too.
  • model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,007 Officer
    Note that just east of the north jetty rocks is very shallow, not enough to ground your boat but more than enough to grab your rigs. Not a problem at the south jetty rocks. I would use different weights on each line out. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 322 Deckhand
    Been wanting to try this as I slow troll from spot to spot, the location. Of the swivel is the only thing I’m not grasping 
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    We just caught a bunch of macks today at the jetties.  About 20 or so.  All we did was had wire to a jig head of about 2 feet.  Small barrel swivel, We were using a bigger one but they were biting that and it would cut the mono.  
    Tony, there isn't only one right way...in fact I've been known to do it wrong lots of different ways too! Haha. The inline weights usually have a small swivel attached. I tie my main line to that swivel, then as mentioned, connect a short 3-6 inch wire leader to the back end of the weight, so any fish that hit the weight wont cut off the mono leader and spoon. Even if the short pre-made wire leader has a second swivel, being connected the the weigh must look less like bait because I've never had a cut-off on the weight with a trailing wire. I never use wire in front of the spoon as 99% of the Spanish will nip at the back end of the spoon and hook themselves in the center of their bottom jaw. Even blues seem to hit the back end of the spoon, but yes, I've lost some spoons to what I guess were blues...it just doesn't seem to be a problem and I think I catch more fish without the wire at the spoon. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 610 Officer
    Mark O. said:
    Tony, there isn't only one right way...in fact I've been known to do it wrong lots of different ways too! Haha. The inline weights usually have a small swivel attached. I tie my main line to that swivel, then as mentioned, connect a short 3-6 inch wire leader to the back end of the weight, so any fish that hit the weight wont cut off the mono leader and spoon. Even if the short pre-made wire leader has a second swivel, being connected the the weigh must look less like bait because I've never had a cut-off on the weight with a trailing wire. I never use wire in front of the spoon as 99% of the Spanish will nip at the back end of the spoon and hook themselves in the center of their bottom jaw. Even blues seem to hit the back end of the spoon, but yes, I've lost some spoons to what I guess were blues...it just doesn't seem to be a problem and I think I catch more fish without the wire at the spoon. 
    you ever have a tarpon or big king grab hold!? It has to happen occasionally
    we need more internet money
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 202 Deckhand
    I caught a king while trolling for Spanish. It was closer to July. I was using my king rods when I was trolling for Spanish.  Hope to get the boat back soon to get out there. 
    Andrew, yes one good sized king hit a tiny Krocodile lure when I was using a trout rod and Stradic reel...haha. I was trolling across the tip of the north jetty and though I snagged the rocks, until the drag kept screaming even after I stopped! I actually got him next to my Seadoo, but I didn't have a gaff, and the tiny treble hook bent open.