Ever eat Wild Oscar Fish???

Did something new this time and filmed an Oscar catch and cook. Never eaten Oscar before but it was really good! Seriously, if you guys haven't had Oscar you should get out to glades and catch some. 

https://youtu.be/aFNOJ5EAmcc

Replies

• davids8477davids8477 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Pound for pound one of the best fighting fish out there.
    if only they got close to 10lbs!
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,424 Admiral
    I wouldn't eat anything out of those south Florida canals. But that's just me.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Have heard the are pretty good. Fast growers.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Tankard, most of mercury in skin and innards. Every once in a while, a skinless boneless filet wont kill you. Not right away anyway. The more oscars eaten the better. More bass for us.
  • EBOutdoorsEBOutdoors Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Have heard the are pretty good. Fast growers.
    They're delicious! You'd be shocked at how much they taste like hog snapper. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,824 Admiral
    I read this thread title for two days as Oscar Wilde Fish for god knows what reason.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I read this thread title for two days as Oscar Wilde Fish for god knows what reason.   
    Gotta say that would make a much more interesting post!  :D 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,597 Admiral
    I've ate a bunch and I'm still here..Good stuff.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 655 Officer
    Good to know!  It's long been on my to do list, to get down and fish those canals for a peacock.  Now I'll know to keep any Oscar's I catch ;)  Any other exotics good to eat (I know snakeheads and obviously tilapia)? Cichlids?
    spangler said:
    Good to know!  It's long been on my to do list, to get down and fish those canals for a peacock.  Now I'll know to keep any Oscar's I catch ;)  Any other exotics good to eat (I know snakeheads and obviously tilapia)? Cichlids?
    Definitely! It's such a blast. Not sure what other people use but Shelby tore it up with a Rapala 4' diving lure. We learned that Oscars are actually Cichlid species and there are two types we were catching.. Mayan and Tiger. We couldn't tell a difference in taste but they we're slightly different in density and skin/scale thickness. I've heard of some people eating the Bass but I'm not so sure about that...

Let us know if you find a good spot for Peacock. Our honey hole got destroyed in Hurricane Irma so we're looking for a new spot. Thanks for watching!
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    How do you like those speakers on the poling platform?
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    i’m impressed with a baitcaster in her hands!!! dilly dilly 
    Binder said:
    Binder said:
    How do you like those speakers on the poling platform?
    Awesome speakers! They're JBL bluetooth so it's easy to play music off a phone and I've got them on their own battery so I can listen to music all day without worrying. 
    i’m impressed with a baitcaster in her hands!!! dilly dilly      

Ha! It's the only thing she'll use. Won't even touch a spinning reel unless we're in salt water
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Mayan Cichlids (atomic Sunfish) fight like crazy too and taste delicious. Similar to Mangrove Snapper.

For Mayans and Oscars, Try a small beetle spin. They love em and they are pretty weedless (and inexpensive)...

Mayan Cichlids (atomic Sunfish) fight like crazy too and taste delicious. Similar to Mangrove Snapper.

For Mayans and Oscars, Try a small beetle spin. They love em and they are pretty weedless (and inexpensive)...

Awesome, nice catch!! Thanks for the tip, we'll definitly give the beetle spin a try! 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,055 Captain
    edited July 14 #18
    It’s been decades since I lived in Miami and fished the Everglades Conservation areas.
    A couple of years ago I returned to fish the Glades...... I was thinking of Bass,actually smelling the fish before releasing.I remember the feel and smell.
    Well, got in to a bunch of Oscars.Strange.
    I stopped fishing early. 
    I must be “sensitive “, I don’t care for the lack of Everglades Sheet Flow Restoration, the giant land fill hill at Homestead/ Black Point visible for miles around Biscayne Bay is troublesome too.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink