Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Horseshoe/Suwannee reports?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has heard ANY reports in these areas last few days.  I know that it’s been very windy the last week or so, but looks like it could calm down a little, and, if it does, I plan to go soon!  Thanks!

Replies

• waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 121 Deckhand

The trout bite has been solid, but the fish seem to be running smaller than normal for this time of year so far. This time of year I normally won't keep a trout under 18", but the last two trips I kept several 15.5" fish to round out limits. Hopefully the larger trout turn on and the bite for the big trout lasts into May this year. Reds are scattered on the oyster bars and points at the mouths of creeks from the East Pass all the way down to CK. Need to cover ground to catch them versus posting up on any one location.

• flats habitflats habit Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Thank you for that intel, waterdipper!
  • TCow86TCow86 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Was out there this past weekend. Fished the morning around seven sisters and the outlaw, Trout bite was terrible. One here and there, think we managed 7 keepers. Also, there was some terrible algae or something in the water. Really nasty out there. Ran into horeshoe cove at 11 to look for reds and they were fired up. Limit in no time but needed a big one for a small tourney we were in. After throwing back a dozen slot reds we got one at 26 1/4" and headed in. We just missed first place with ours weighing at 6.63 lbs and the winner 6.67, but it was fun none the less.

I was out there again Saturday with the wife and kids south of Suwannee. It was pretty rough to trout fish where I have been catching them lately, but we made it out there. We caught 3 keepers on the first three casts, with one at 20", then my hand held GPS went out and I couldn't get back on the spot ( wife said I probably need a new one!!).  Made the decision to go inshore and look for reds. It was a good decision as the wind continued to build and would have been impossible to fish in open water. Picked away at the reds for a few hours with a 26.5", a 24" and a 17". Also had another upper slot get off at the boat ( my son said we will get him next time). Needless to say a productive day on windy day.

edited April 2018 #6
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I fished both days this weekend. Saturday was stupid. There was an airboat on every decent spot. Caught a couple gator trout and a few solid reds and rolled at near the top of high tide. Went back yesterday and couldn't get many reds to play on the strong negative low. Found a ton of nice upper slot trout to play though. Again left early once tide started to rip in. Way less boats on Sunday. It was a solid day considering the full moon. Seems like the fish are starting to settle into their warmer water patterns.
    Thank you, guys, for that info. Jim, what depth were you finding the trout in, or were you just on the points/creek mouths? Water temp?
    Water temp was high 70s. I caught all the trout in one spot of the flat where a sandbar dropped off to 4-5 feet of water.
    Thanks for that info, Jim...👍

Kind of a Summer-time type bite on Saturday afternoon for us. A slow, but steady pick, with several catfish in between. However, no throw back reds or trout so that was nice and each of the kids got keepers. Trout were on Gulp, reds were caught on ladyfish chunks.

I went on Sunday. It was slick calm so we hit the grass flats to try and net and sabiki bait but all we caught was half a dozen trout. Decided to use Frozen stuff and headed out anyway to the Cobia hole. We were able to sabiki up baits but nothing else was biting. Got broke off by one shark and that was it. Went back to try for trout tripletail and reds with no luck. Called it a bit early. Tough day for us.
    Jim, we went on Saturday and it was a tough day for us too...only 4 keeper trout.  Lots of boats out on the water so I can’t imagine that’s great for fishing. We tried for reds, but we couldn’t find any. I don’t have a boat right at the moment, so I’m at the mercy of going with a couple of friends in their boats (as I provide the gas).
    I'm  gonna keep this thread going as there are not a lot of reports out there for inshore CK to Horseshoe Beach. Fished Saturday with a newbie. Started out trout fishing on the low incoming tide. First cast I had a 21" fish. It was all down hill from there. Moved to where we have been doing well on upper slot fish and it was catfish and ladyfish city. It didn't help that a majority of the CK and Suwannee guides came to fish the area making it difficult to move around to the small areas that hold fish. We grinded out a few more specks and a couple really nice sand trout and decided to move inshore for reds. We chunked the points for reds for 2 hours WITHOUT A BITE where we had been doing really well with upper slot fish. I got frustrated with so decided to head back out to see if we could pound a few more trout out to salvage the day. We ended up getting on a hot sand trout bite that lasted for about 30 minutes and all were 16-18" fish. Pound for pound they pull better than a speck and are fun to catch. At the end of the day we boxed 10 nice sandies and 4 specks, but struck out on the reds. Excitement of the day was when a big tarpon crashed a ladyfish I was bringing in, but never got hooked.  If the weather clears out I hope to get out again Wed afternoon and I am fishing the CK Basketball tournament on Saturday so I hope the bite is better then.
    Thanks for the report, Waterdipper. I hope to get out this week as well Andrea will try to post.
    I didn't have much luck last weekend for reds either. Just went out myself for a couple hours to mess around. Pulled in and everything looked perfect, first cast was a 20" red, great, figured I was going to have a fun morning messing around with a red bite. 2 hours later and no more bites, figures, I know better than to land a fish on the first cast. Went to mess around with triple tail after that for an hour and got one short, but there were some real jerks out there blatantly cutting me and other boats off on pots and poles so I headed in.
  • AZ2FLAZ2FL Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    TCow86 said:
    I didn't have much luck last weekend for reds either. Just went out myself for a couple hours to mess around. Pulled in and everything looked perfect, first cast was a 20" red, great, figured I was going to have a fun morning messing around with a red bite. 2 hours later and no more bites, figures, I know better than to land a fish on the first cast. Went to mess around with triple tail after that for an hour and got one short, but there were some real jerks out there blatantly cutting me and other boats off on pots and poles so I headed in.

I’ve seen exactly what you’ve described, jerks cutting two buoys in front of you on plane. From my own experience it has gotten worse the past few years. The real jack wagons have six-foot step ladders strapped on the bow.

On July 1st the minimum size limit changes from 15” to 18”.

AZ2FL said:
    TCow86 said:

I’ve seen exactly what you’ve described, jerks cutting two buoys in front of you on plane. From my own experience it has gotten worse the past few years. The real jack wagons have six-foot step ladders strapped on the bow.

On July 1st the minimum size limit changes from 15” to 18”.

When that started happening to me a couple years ago, I quit fishing for them. Used to be a great fishery some 20-30 years ago that only a few knew about, but  the interwebs bragging by a few people who were trying to make a name for themselves has brought out the jackwads who are now EXPERT tripletail fishermen who have in reality only caught a couple in their life time.

Fished the Cedar Key basketball fishing tournament with my oldest son on Saturday. Took 1st overall trout bag at 9 lb 8 oz, 2nd in big trout at 2lb 4 oz, and 2nd (by 3 oz ) in trout/red bag at 15 lb 14oz. It was hot to say the least but we fished hard and put some nice fish in the boat and helped raise some money for the CK basketball team. . We also caught 3 more slot reds in the AM before heading out for trout, a 32" cobia while trout fishing and also lost two other unknowns that hit our trout jigs and took off towards Mexico before wearing through our 30lb leader. There were a lot of nice reds weighed in and it looks like we currently have a good healthy amount of upper slot fish in the area.