Hunting lease?

HaydenjbassHaydenjbass Posts: 65 Greenhorn
Hello, I was wondering if there was any leases available? Im open to mormon land and anything withing 2.5 hours of orlando.  thanks. 

Replies

• BaccalaBaccala Posts: 198 Deckhand

What's your budget?

• Dshaw94Dshaw94 Posts: 109 Deckhand
    was the Avalon plantation no good???
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me"
  • HaydenjbassHaydenjbass Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Dshaw94 said:
    was the Avalon plantation no good??
    It was a pretty place to hunt   Just didnt see any deer.
    And budjet is 7k
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 296 Deckhand
    7 grand?? Dude go buy 50 acres. 20 year mortgage and you’ll own it one day. We have a club of 10 guys and lease 1,500 acres for 7 grand a year. I’m not a realtor but I’m thinking if you call the right people you could have your own private honey hole for the budget you are talking about.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,520 Captain
    Yes you can buy 50 acres BUT in 50 acres unless it is next to a preserve you will find yourself cramped and the game will be over pressured.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,390 Admiral
    50 Acres in a deers world is a 10 minute walk.
    Unless youown the Bedding area your screwed..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Sorry , you guys are taking my 50 acre response to serious. My point being a 7 thousand dollar year budget over the life of a 30 year mortgage could result in quite a large piece of private property that the OP could own and do as he pleases. With the right research and interest rate a much larger piece could be purchased. And after all that rambling I still haven’t helped the OP find a lease. Good luck h.bass on your search, with that budget you shouldn’t have much of a problem.
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 326 Deckhand
    I would agree with you tony Roma especially because orlando is still a reasonable drive to n Florida and Georgia.  I get it for the s fla guys paying that kind of money bc they are 5 hours until a reasonable lease price.

To original poster, smokey hunt club in daytona typically has openings and is around 3k.  It's not a trophy lease but some decent bucks are killed on it.
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,921 Admiral
    Tony Roma said:
    Sorry , you guys are taking my 50 acre response to serious. My point being a 7 thousand dollar year budget over the life of a 30 year mortgage could result in quite a large piece of private property that the OP could own and do as he pleases. With the right research and interest rate a much larger piece could be purchased. And after all that rambling I still haven’t helped the OP find a lease. Good luck h.bass on your search, with that budget you shouldn’t have much of a problem.
    Buy land!!

Think big................
  • hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    The Deseret leases are great, and at $7K you're right in line with the annual cost. I'd call the Deseret offices and ask for the hunting lease manager, he can point you in the right direction and from there you can see if there are any openings. I'm 45 minutes from the front door of my house to my stand, and 15 minutes from the camp to my stand. The price is more than worth it to me. My daughter caught her first fish out there, my son took his first steps out there, I shot a nice 122" 10 point  and three does this year, and I'm about to bust a couple of monster toms in a couple of weeks, not to mention the numerous weekends partying, hog hunting, quail hunting etc. All well worth the $7.5K for 8K acres I'm spending. Don't let the forum trolls turn you off to the Deseret option, my family has been on one of two Deseret leases for 30 years and we've never had buyer's remorse. PM your info and I'll keep it in case a spot opens up on our lease.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,520 Captain

it is all about disposable income time available to drive and of course harvest goals.

If you want BIG deer go to the Midwest 1 week during the it rut will cost you about $4000 then put away your bow or gun for the rest of the year you are done.

If you want the woods experience camping friends and want to go often get on a lease. You can hunt year round enjoy the experience and when you shoot a deer you did it your way. Not by having some outfitter put you on a stand and tell you where the deer will be coming from and what size he will be.

Now price if you go South of 60 be prepared to pay $10k North of 60 South of I-4 $7 to $8k, north Fla $1500 up.

If I lived near Orlando Deseret makes the most sense.

Good luck to you

"sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Go buy ribeyes, alot cheaper and tastier. Or..... go to to Texas and shoot them up and come home in one week..Understand the camp , land routine it's nice but the price and equipment involved wow.... Glad U have it in your pocket. Go get them.
  • gjmcsgjmcs Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    edited April 15 #14

We have a few opening on the central Florida ranch outside Orlando (east of Saint Cloud).  It is 10K acres in the center of 300+.  99% of the time you will see deer on our lease but that does not mean it meets the criteria.  We had the 5th largest non typical in 2016.  Criteria is strict and we manage heavily.

serious inquiries only.   [email protected]

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,666 Admiral
    we dog hunt and it's more of a friend/family thing than a meat thing.

I feel sorry for most of y'all.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I pay about 1,300 a year and hunt a Dog Club. 93 Thousand Acres.
    I Love Dog hunters , They never put up treestands , No Private areas , No I got a Feeder in that swamp and your still gonna hunt it b.s. , 
    I hear their trucks and their dogs here and there now and then from my Stands ( 14 ) and maybe Ole Blue will run one by later morning when the deer have laid up for the day.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,666 Admiral
    I pay about 1,300 a year and hunt a Dog Club. 93 Thousand Acres.
    I Love Dog hunters , They never put up treestands , No Private areas , No I got a Feeder in that swamp and your still gonna hunt it b.s. , 
    I hear their trucks and their dogs here and there now and then from my Stands ( 14 ) and maybe Ole Blue will run one by later morning when the deer have laid up for the day.
    you get it!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Of Course I do Art...Now about them Jumbo Claws for 5 bucks a pound..
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,637 Captain
    I'm living in the wrong area... 
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 477 Deckhand
    hobbscw79 said:
    The Deseret leases are great, and at $7K you're right in line with the annual cost. I'd call the Deseret offices and ask for the hunting lease manager, he can point you in the right direction and from there you can see if there are any openings. I'm 45 minutes from the front door of my house to my stand, and 15 minutes from the camp to my stand. The price is more than worth it to me. My daughter caught her first fish out there, my son took his first steps out there, I shot a nice 122" 10 point  and three does this year, and I'm about to bust a couple of monster toms in a couple of weeks, not to mention the numerous weekends partying, hog hunting, quail hunting etc. All well worth the $7.5K for 8K acres I'm spending. Don't let the forum trolls turn you off to the Deseret option, my family has been on one of two Deseret leases for 30 years and we've never had buyer's remorse. PM your info and I'll keep it in case a spot opens up on our lease.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. All those leases are going up. You've been on 30yrs? Great, welcome to the party, wont save you when they show up one turkey season (probably next year) and say "Pay $25K/yr for a cabin you dont own, plus $25K for the lease." They are systematically going through their properties kicking all the old clubs out. Clubs that have been there since before they even owned the properties. 
    I've had 3 different lease holders, holders that have been around a long time, have their leases ended this year after constantly being promised 3-5yr extensions. The mormons are nothing but crooks. 
    Seriously. Tell the guys getting kicked out with a couple months notice to make room for the corporate leases. Dont even have the decency to give them time to get their stuff out. 
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 477 Deckhand
    hobbscw79 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. All those leases are going up. You've been on 30yrs? Great, welcome to the party, wont save you when they show up one turkey season (probably next year) and say "Pay $25K/yr for a cabin you dont own, plus $25K for the lease." They are systematically going through their properties kicking all the old clubs out. Clubs that have been there since before they even owned the properties. 
    I've had 3 different lease holders, holders that have been around a long time, have their leases ended this year after constantly being promised 3-5yr extensions. The mormons are nothing but crooks. 
    Seriously. Tell the guys getting kicked out with a couple months notice to make room for the corporate leases. Dont even have the decency to give them time to get their stuff out. 
  • gjmcsgjmcs Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    At last count 6 of the 32 leases have gone corporate.  Corporate adds a great opportunity for those with the means but can't do what it takes to manage all the aspects of a camp like we are talking about.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain

There is an element in leasing land to hunt that few think about----

The average carrying capacity of Florida land north of I-4 is about one deer for every 20 acres, so on a 50 acre lease you would have about 2 1/2 resident deer, one of which would probably be a buck. Unless a small acreage lease is surrounded by large acreage tracts where deer are a managed species of wildlife, the probability of your success rate isn't very high. Something to think about, maybe!

• ChonggChongg Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Heads up to OP: Rayonier is putting a batch of leases on the market on May 4.
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 550 Officer
    i have a 475 acre lease that I am not planning to renew, my lease goes through july  not looking to make money on it...just hand it off to someone. hate to see it go on the auction block. Lease will be in there name at renewal. $10.75 and acre on St Johns/Flagler county line.  lots of turkey and hogs, average coastal deer.  2 shooting towers will be left on it.  PM if interested. I am not looking for a hassle, if you aren't serious, don't have the money, need to get members first...etc...etc....this is not for you.  I am just trying to help someone find a place to hunt close to home reasonable, I've had the lease for 3 yrs. Only giving up because I am purchasing land in GA.