Help US farmers - Soybean for your feeders

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
Now would be a good time to buy soy beans for your feeders.

China just announced they will stop buying US soy beans (the initiated trade war).  50% of soy bean grown in the US was being sold to China.  Not now.

I'll def make sure the edamame my gf loves so much, comes from an American farmer.

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain
    Being in the agricultural business its pleasing to see someone like yourself strongly supporting American farmers, especially local ones. Thanks!
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 854 Officer
    Wonder if we can make a big push for cpr land with this situation?  Crp helps farmers and wildlife to the best of my knowledge. 
  • WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 126 Deckhand
    We run soybeans in our spin and gravity feeders a good part of the year. It sure would be nice to catch a break on the $16/ bag price we've been paying. The deer love them, and the best part is the racoon's won't touch them! Pigs are another story...
  • ChiefBubbaChiefBubba Posts: 169 Deckhand
    What about Turkeys? Bubba

What about turkeys? It would be interesting to know and here's why I say this:

Commercial soybean production in the States is now virtually 100% GMO as is corn (93+%). I am aware of no research into wildlife consumption of GMO products--corn, etc--but this I do know from staying in contact with wildlife managers since my retirement:

Eastern Whitetails, as a rule, will make no distinction between GMO and non-GMO corn. Turkeys, at least the Eastern and Osceola, will shy away from any GMO produced feed put out. Makes no difference to feral hogs: they will eat anything in the woods including you!

• tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    I need something deer like but coons and pigs don't..
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 167 Deckhand
    I would love to use soybeans, however at twice the price of corn it is just not feasible.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
    edited May 6 #9
    I suspect the prices are going to come down.  There's going to be a surplus now. Keep your eyes out ;)

• Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,476 Admiral

Commercial soybean production in the States is now virtually 100% GMO as is corn (93+%). I am aware of no research into wildlife consumption of GMO products--corn, etc--but this I do know from staying in contact with wildlife managers since my retirement:

Eastern Whitetails, as a rule, will make no distinction between GMO and non-GMO corn. Turkeys, at least the Eastern and Osceola, will shy away from any GMO produced feed put out. Makes no difference to feral hogs: they will eat anything in the woods including you!

Uh. U know corn beans etc have undergone genetic modification for ...oh....10,000’s of years   

I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • GeetchGeetch Posts: 77 Greenhorn

Please cite your sources. 
  • erik-the-rederik-the-red Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Billybobsdeerbarn on Facebook  has soybeans and is located in Lee fl

Ol Mucky, the "Genetic Modification" that you refer to is known in plant/animal biological studies as "Natural Selection" and is totally unassociated with modern day "gene splicing" such as injecting certain shellfish genes into corn--along with other genes from "items-sources" considered "Top Secret" that we don't know about. I have an idea that you knew this to some degree when you made your comment.

Geetch, I've been retired for over 9 years now, so I no longer have much contact with colleagues associated in wildlife management studies/activities. My limited activities are only directed at managing for a couple of old client's Native Longleaf Pine Forests and the associated Eastern Bobwhite Quail, our "target" wildlife species. 

You will not find much if any research at the college level on the consumption/rejection of gene spliced grains used for wildlife feed such as corn etc. Most, if not just about all forest and wildlife management research is funded by industry and not government sources, so if anything negative that MAY pop up is avoided in research. (Auburn University's Solon Dixon Forestry Center may be somewhat of an exception to this. They are outstanding ). I am aware of an "unofficial" simplified test that was conducted by graduate students in wildlife management at a Land Grant University that showed that:

Feral hogs culled nothing and showed no preference---ate it all---GMO corn, Non-GMO corn, corn fertilized with organic fertilizers, commercial fertilizers, Milogranet fertilizers, whatever. Whitetail Deer were pretty much the same, but did tend to shy away from corn fertilized with Milogranet fertilizers, though this also was eventually consumed by the deer----just took longer. Eastern and Osceola Turkeys, however, would not consume GMO corn at all and would not eat Non-GMO corn fertilized with Milogranet fertilizers and preferred corn fertilized with organic fertilizers. This is the extent of what I know at this point, and to the best of my knowledge no "official" research into this has been done. I will not identify which Southern U.S. college's students made this simplified test. I was told that the students were told to knock it off, shut up and not bring this up. Please understand that I've been out of the "circle" for almost 10 years now, and I may well be somewhat right to totally wrong. Who knows? 

• gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,520 Captain

what about bears do they eat the beans? I would imagine they don't crave them like they do corn which is a carb

GMO so what plant biologist have been changing the genetics on commercial seeds for decades. The bottom line is corn is corn the deer and critters cannot differentiate between GMO and non GMO.

If you doubt me? Ask a deer.

"sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972

Do your research, gator! There is a MAJOR difference in selective breeding that plant/ biologists have been practicing since before the days of Gregor Mendel--that which you refer to, and GENE SPLICING to make plants immune to herbicides such as glyphosate (Round-up). Research the fight that Monsanto put up to create the name "Genetically Modified Organisms" as opposed to "Gene Splicing" that the biological researchers were initially using.

If you will re-read my Post you'll see that I said deer would consume corn that was genetically spliced, but from the very basic one "informal" study I am aware of that TURKEYS would not touch it. And I also said that deer would not initially (but would eventually) eat corn fertilized with fertilizer made from the sewage systems of major north-central states cities like Milwaukee. (You eat vegetables fertilized from this source, by-the-way!) I am suggesting that research is very much needed in this entire area of wildlife management because biologically what this research might indicate in gene splicing will also apply to you and me---and everybody else! And you may be assured that Monsanto is fighting this issue like hell! It all comes down to $$$!

(By-the-way---in my over 40 years of forest and wildlife management, I've never run into a deer that would talk to me!) 

• nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,066 Officer
    If you don’t understand the screwing by Monsanto 
    you need an education 
    if you think they aren’t screwing us all 
    your flat **** wrong 

I side with woodsrunner
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
    Down with Monsanto!
    Ignorance of what a gene is by those who ingest propaganda and are transformed by it is more amusing than believing a turkey would avoid corn kernels because they have corn genes or not. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,011 Officer
    While not corn - a farmer we used to go to church with would take the left over bread for his chickens.  He said the chickens would not eat the bread from Panera.  FWIW

As for round-up ready corn - I read a study years back that says it causes tumors in rats.  Also FWIW
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 431 Deckhand
    GMO plants cause autism in whitetail deer, but not mule deer.  This information comes from the Wal-Mart greeter with the glass eye.  I believe he is a peer reviewed source; the meth head begging for change outside the store said he was on the level.
    Rich M said:
    While not corn - a farmer we used to go to church with would take the left over bread for his chickens.  He said the chickens would not eat the bread from Panera.  FWIW

As for round-up ready corn - I read a study years back that says it causes tumors in rats.  Also FWIW
    Then you should avoid both. FWIW 
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 113 Deckhand
    I have had my feeders full of corn for 3 years now and have pics of deer, turkeys, squirrels, doves, racoons, etc eating the corn...  I would add soybeans if they were more available.  I can get corn at the gas station down the road...  I have been putting out Vita-Rack protein mineral blocks and Big-N-J blocks as well.  The deer have been eating them up this spring.  
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,011 Officer
    H20dad said:
    Rich M said:

Then you should avoid both. FWIW 
    I do.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,667 Admiral
    GMO plants cause autism in whitetail deer, but not mule deer.  This information comes from the Wal-Mart greeter with the glass eye.  I believe he is a peer reviewed source; the meth head begging for change outside the store said he was on the level
  • TheDude727TheDude727 Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    I have been told that soy will still attract deer and hogs but the bears wont touch it and leave an area with soy.  Is this true?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    edited May 16 #26
    Ol Mucky said:

Uh. U know corn beans etc have undergone genetic modification for ...oh....10,000’s of years   

Not the same. Completely and utterly different than inserting a gene from a different species.

The problem with GMO is environmental. Roundup ready crops are making noxious weeds harder to control thus eventually demanding more spraying of chemicals.

Woodsrunner is spot on.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg