Bait Reports....?

Replies

• kwatsonkwatson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I am only getting small net wrecker pilchards on the flats around weedon. Is anyone finding medium to large pilchards in the bay? I was getting mixed sizes before Irma, now the medium to large are gone.
  • Matt822Matt822 Posts: 149 Officer
    Look deeper 4-6 foot of water. I loaded the wells with 6 inch pilchards sat and sunday in the same area
  • kwatsonkwatson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thank you will give that a try, I was very shallow.
  • Spine docSpine doc Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Heading to Anna Maria first week of November with 23ft center console and cast nets. Is there still white bait on beaches or flats? Don’t mind heading up to skyway if needed.......thanks in advance.
  • bordeauxbordeaux Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Have not been out for about 5 weeks hoping to get out this Sunday anyone know how the bait is around Weedon area?
    2017 Beavertail Skiff Mosquito
  • QuahogQuahog Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    2 weeks ago Wesson and coffepot flats held 3 to 4 inch baits and were easy to catch. Today they were all tiny and I filled a bunch in my net.
  • szarmanszarman Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Fished last week out of the Anclote river, and couldn't find bait at howard park so I ran the beach in front of honeymoon island and didn't see much. I saw some pods on the finder about 1/2 mile out from hurricane pass and caught some nice threadfins. Didn't find any greenbacks until I hit the flats just inside hurricane pass, and they were mostly tiny but I got enough to fish with. Anyone having any luck with bait in the tarpon springs/dunedin area lately? Might be time to get out the pinfish traps, and buy shrimp.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 222 Deckhand

Has anyone been getting white bait at the skyway?

• sonofagunnsonofagunn Posts: 66 Greenhorn

All this warm weather has to have the fish and bait moving around. Any inshore bait in N. Pinellas yet?

• bh973bh973 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I saw some guys tossing some greenies last saturday so they are around.  I didn't try and catch any yet.   probably will try tomorrow. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,549 Admiral
    bh973 said:
    I saw some guys tossing some greenies last saturday so they are around.  I didn't try and catch any yet.   probably will try tomorrow. 
    can you sabiki those? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain

Where's the bait in St Joseph Sound (Dunedin/Palm Harbor)? Haven't seen it at my early or late season spots. Been seeing lots of diving birds on tiny stuff. Is it up north?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 681 Officer
    jimmy77 - finding big schools west of honeymoon
     26ft here
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • QuahogQuahog Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Has anyone had any luck with bait on the flats in Tampa bay yet?  I read online it arrived this week.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,886 Captain
    edited April 13 #316
    I live close to northshore park (north of st. pete pier) and walk the area a lot.  Birds have been thick diving on schools.  Haven't thrown a net to see size though.  Fort Desoto gulf pier had nice 3+ inch white bait on it last weekend.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • TailSpotterTailSpotter St.PetePosts: 44 Greenhorn
    edited April 20 #317
    Any recommendations on where to net/sabiki bait out of Johns pass? Put my new boat up a high and dry inside the pass. Hoping someone could flatten my learning curve!!!
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,886 Captain
    I go more out of bunces or PAG but if you go about 3 miles out there is decent bottom and you can get pins, grunts, squirrels pretty readily with zabiki just drifting.  I think it is about 20, maybe 22' of water.

I am sure you can get it closer but if you are heading out, that is usually a good area for me.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • TailSpotterTailSpotter St.PetePosts: 44 Greenhorn
    Thanks Captain. Lots of bait shops and gas up in Johns pass but all anyone is selling is frozen and shrimp?? I guess there is no money to be made selling greenies or pins or anything else! Hmmm....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,549 Admiral
    Thanks Captain. Lots of bait shops and gas up in Johns pass but all anyone is selling is frozen and shrimp?? I guess there is no money to be made selling greenies or pins or anything else! Hmmm....
    My theory is that the guys in these kingfish tournaments pay in advance.   Just a theory. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Salt CrackerSalt Cracker Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Any bait on the flats in the Ruskin area?  Thanks.
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Have not seen any on the flats but the markers outside cockroach are loaded
  • Sea DocSea Doc Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Plenty of White Bait on the flats at Hudson at high tide.
  • MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    Fished yesterday, caught bait down around Weedon.  3-5" pilchards with pins mixed in around 4 feet of water.  Easy pickings.  The trout on the other hand, not so much.
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    We saw a decent amount of bait on the flats by Coquina Key.  I've read about chumming, but I haven't found the magic formula yet.  We mixed in jack mackeral, menhaden oil and corn meal.  It just isn't drawing the school to the boat.  We tried spraying menhaden milk on the water but it didn't seem to help that much.  It draws in the pinfish, but not so much the white bait.  I've heard about purina fish food.  Has anyone tried this?  Maybe I'm just not being patient enough to let them come to me.  I've tossed the net whenever I see a decent amount, but not the bulk of the school.  Maybe I'm spooking them?  Anyone have any surefire tips?
    The tropical fish food mixed with a little water and menhaden oil works, as should the jack mack and oatmeal or similar mixtures.  Most of the times I've loaded the well in one throw have been in bait dense environments (skyway) and not on the flats.  Yesterday on the flats I threw the net six times to get 8 or 10 dozen baits...that's been pretty common in my experience.
    MBC223 said:
    The tropical fish food mixed with a little water and menhaden oil works, as should the jack mack and oatmeal or similar mixtures.  Most of the times I've loaded the well in one throw have been in bait dense environments (skyway) and not on the flats.  Yesterday on the flats I threw the net six times to get 8 or 10 dozen baits...that's been pretty common in my experience.
    I've not been very successful at the skyway.  I can't get the net down on them.  I'm sure I don't have the right technique or something.  Do you chum them up to the surface there?
    Often at the skyway you can see the schools working and hit them without having to chum.  Mostly under and around the fishing pier.  When it's more difficult Ill anchor or spotlock up current and chum.  

It sounds like maybe you are throwing the wrong net?  In this deeper water I throw a 10 footer that is 1.5-2.0 pounds per foot with a 3/8 mesh max.  When we are after bigger threadfins it's a 12' 1/2" mesh to get down to those deeper baits on the bottom.  This is a tougher throw obviously.

A lighter net or a smaller mesh is going to sink much slower.
    I have an 8' 1/4" mesh. 1.3 lbs. per foot.  I haven't done this long so I'm just now getting where I can be consistent.  I also have a 10' 1/2", 1.5 lbs. per foot.  I haven't thrown this much because its a bit more difficult.  I just need to bite the bullet and get more comfortable with it.  This conversation will force me to throw it more.  Thanks!
    I've seen guys make a 1/4" work by throwing it on the back side of pilings in the current breaks.  The 1/2" might gill a lot of the smaller whitebait but is good for the bigger stuff.  My favorite is a calusa 10 footer, 1.6 pound, 3/8th.  Brand is all preference of course.  Good luck man, if you see a 24 Bluewave out there come say hi.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,058 Captain
    Anyone mind sharing some spots near Dunedin ramp?  I typically use Seminole and get bait behind sand key but want to find it closer to dunedin ramp to head north. Thx