Home General Paddle Craft

Blackfin Tuna off SE Florida - 20 April 2018

Launched off Deerfield Beach in the early AM to make bait.  It was not as easy as I had hoped, I found lots of pilchards at the Deerfield pier that were constantly falling off my Sabiki that has hooks for Goggle eyes.  I headed out with 1 pilchard and half a dozen gogs/runners as bait.  Activity was not as good as I had hoped.  I did not see any sky rocketing kings, and I later learned that I should have spent more time in shallow as there was still a good bite going on there for kings.  I headed out to the wrecks to find vertical jigging action was slow.  Since the current was not too bad, proceeded out to 350 ft where I meter a large amount of fish.  Most of the metered fish would not hit my vertical jig, but I did manage to get 5 Blackfin Tuna to bite.
Most of the metered Blackfin were not biting for good reason -- They were full.  This one had a bullet tuna, 2 flying fish and shrimp in his belly.  The bite maybe lasted 2 hours, then the current picked up and it became too difficult to work. 

I did not want to make a drift out of the day, so I headed in.  It was nice to finally catch some fresh tuna for sushi, cevichi and grilling :)  Tunas are out there, Go out and get them !

Replies