Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sebastian inshore...Uh Oh...

Well, it looks like we are having another slime algae bloom...lots of suspended "snot grass" in the water. It was so bad in spots that it would be all over both my jig head and my leader knot....and so bad it was almost impossible to fish.
We get this every year but this seems early. 

As far as fishing.... It has been a little slow numbers wise but I did get a nice slot snook Friday.
I have really been snakebit on slams...can only do two of the three...something always seems to get me...Today after losing a large snook....I got a nice 24 incher and then, as seems to be my luck lately...went 0 for 2 on hooked up Redfish...The first one shook off boatside while reaching for the net  :'(  
The second one is hooked up and running hard...bait pops out of its mouth and somehow the line comes back and throws a half hitch on the rod tip....while the Redfish races back and inhales the bait again!...and promptly snaps off... 
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• FlecFlec Posts: 653 Officer
    I fished Friday as well Joe. I did not notice anything going on with the water. Clarity was down a little maybe, but I thought that might have been due to the rain we got earlier in the week. Snook bite has been off for me, and trout are a little scarce. I am finding some reds, seem to only be catching the smaller ones while the bigger fish are tougher to boat. But those tougher battles are what keep me going back.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,619 AG
    edited May 2018 #3
    It seems to be isolated to the Sebastian area John.  I was further south today hiding from the Force 5 Gale :#  and down toward Wabasso it isn't there...yet...  I hope it stays isolated.

The up side is I was able to get my slam complete today even though I lost a Red lifting it in the boat...and missed the hookset on a snook that was literally at my feet in 18 inches of water.  So, that is #9...I'm way behind. 

This one was 31

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jUrxj7al.jpg[/img]
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    So...I was down in Wabasso today....no slime algae seen.... conditions were windy...but by getting one of each I was able to put away #10.

I had 2 Reds come unbuttoned again...not sure what is going on with that.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FlecFlec Posts: 653 Officer
    Good to hear that about Wabasso Joe.  I have had 2 or 3 slams lately with just one of each species as well. The reds just seem to be tasting and not eating.
    Well, I was able to do #11 and # 12... but I have seen less big snook around and no big trout up shallow...it might be because of the moon...not really sure.
    I fished Vero / Wabasso Thursday and the conditions while windy were better water clarity wise than I had seen north of there. I did see a fair number of Reds but only caught 2.
    Today, I started up at Sebastian and got 3 snook ( 21- 24 inchers) and 2 small trout....but only saw 1 Red so I headed south and was able to get a nice Red down there. It was still pretty windy by 10 AM and did not see much fish wise after that. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I figured I better add this before I forget about it. Since Sunday I have been able to get a slam 4 days straight which is a positive sign. So that makes 13 , 14 , 15 and 16 but it is way behind previous seasons.I would say that there seems to be fewer big trout around as I have seen a lot less...but there is also less habitat this year so it stands to reason. Also, the "snot grass" is still up in the area south of the inlet....I hope that eventually clears because it is nearly impossible to fish in. There have also been more areas of cleaner water but they are constantly moving.
    As for the big snook....here one day and gone the next...and when you see them...often not hungry. The Redfish has been seeing a few a day but not always able to seal the deal. Some days I got two and yesterday I got 3...two were caught on a chartreuse CAL and a real nice one of 29 inches that I sighted up.
    Bait seems to come and go in the river so if you are going to try and get out....keep on the move till you find it...predators should be close. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled