Shooting a bear in your yard

2»

Replies

• GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 200 Deckhand
    The rules of having bears.

Rule #1: Don't tell anyone that you have bears. 
    Rule #2: See rule #1.  

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Cyclist said:
    Rich M said:
    Lady I work with - bear was trying to get at her dog in kennel, husband went out to save dog, ended up in kennel with dog, bear trying to get in.  Guy was armed but held fire.  They called FWC and were told it was a good thing the guy didn't kill the bear - they would arrest him if he did.  FWC also would not trap bear, just offered to help them bear-proof yard.

Good luck with that thing - you know society is messed up when an aggressive animal has more rights than people.

I'm not a big one for aggressive animals around kids or myself even.  Dangerous bear should = dead bear IMO.  The ones I've seen in the ONF have always run.

My neighbor rigged a air hose and a camera on a bowl of cat food - gives raccoons and opossums a blast.  Maybe you could rig a line and "blow the bear away" with some pressurized air.  Couple of encounters like that and I'd think it would avoid your yard.  Just can't bait it in to do that...  How to set up an air line where the bear would be naturally?
    I would say a bear acting like a normal bear and people being stupid....move to the country and suburbs then **** and whine....
    This is the stuff you always come up with.  
    • Fact of life is that the bears are over-populated and keep getting pushed (by other, bigger bears and habitat loss) to move into more and more developed neighborhoods.  We even get them here in Orlando now - along with the coyotes. 
    • Fact of life is that FL is still on an increasing development curve - gonna be less room for Yogi & Boo-Boo in the future.     
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    You might be a big fella but not  bright one. You have already told on yourself. Best thing was to keep quiet and do what you do and not say anything on an open internet forum.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,692 Captain

Rich M said:
    Lady I work with - bear was trying to get at her dog in kennel, husband went out to save dog, ended up in kennel with dog, bear trying to get in.  Guy was armed but held fire.  They called FWC and were told it was a good thing the guy didn't kill the bear - they would arrest him if he did. 
    Good to know!  I always thought if I had to SAVE MY LIFE from a bear or a cat, I'd go ahead and report it and explain what happened.  Not that I really think that's likely to ever happen.  But if it does, now I'll let it lie and keep my mouth shut. 

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,313 Captain
    Cyclist said:
    Why chase it off? Make sure it's not getting food or garbage anywhere in the hood and leave it be.

Face it, nobody hangs in their yard anymore...they dash from AC car to AC work then AC car to AC house and the TV. Especially yankees and snowflakes.

Watching a bear is better than anything on cables 400 channels of BS...

Consider yourself lucky...a bear...how cool is that?
    Why chase it off ??? well lets see so it does not rip apart your car or attack your kids and pets . yea its a bear they do that , just like the one that was on the news today .
    living life as i like
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,216 AG
    I still think fireworks would be the most effective deterrent. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • DJWDJW Posts: 538 Officer
    I still think fireworks would be the most effective deterrent. 
    The most fun too. 

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,216 AG
    Also non lethal 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 394 Deckhand
    Aerial tube sideways. Just make sure you have balloons in the front yard to let people know you having a Party and not to call  
    fish_stix said:
    Rich M said:
    Cyclist said:
    Rich M said:
    Lady I work with - bear was trying to get at her dog in kennel, husband went out to save dog, ended up in kennel with dog, bear trying to get in.  Guy was armed but held fire.  They called FWC and were told it was a good thing the guy didn't kill the bear - they would arrest him if he did.  FWC also would not trap bear, just offered to help them bear-proof yard.

Good luck with that thing - you know society is messed up when an aggressive animal has more rights than people.

I'm not a big one for aggressive animals around kids or myself even.  Dangerous bear should = dead bear IMO.  The ones I've seen in the ONF have always run.

My neighbor rigged a air hose and a camera on a bowl of cat food - gives raccoons and opossums a blast.  Maybe you could rig a line and "blow the bear away" with some pressurized air.  Couple of encounters like that and I'd think it would avoid your yard.  Just can't bait it in to do that...  How to set up an air line where the bear would be naturally?
    I would say a bear acting like a normal bear and people being stupid....move to the country and suburbs then **** and whine....
    This is the stuff you always come up with.  
    • Fact of life is that the bears are over-populated and keep getting pushed (by other, bigger bears and habitat loss) to move into more and more developed neighborhoods.  We even get them here in Orlando now - along with the coyotes. 
    • Fact of life is that FL is still on an increasing development curve - gonna be less room for Yogi & Boo-Boo in the future.     
    Too many Yankees, not enough bears!
    Funny is that they are FL Rednecks - you'd love to have them as neighbors.  Same place for like 20 years, bears just showed up.

The disillusionment is on the side of preserve the bears.  Hard to have a logical discussion with emotional people.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,448 Captain
    edited May 2018 #44
    DJW be glad you live within/ edge of Bear Country rather than on the edge of a human slum.
    It will probably be at least a few years before bear habitat adjoins declining neighborhoods that seem so prosperous now.
    Enjoy, Rejoice!
    I live with an eleven foot gator.
    Attention on you- better not break the law.....” .22” etc.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,448 Captain
    Folks living in or near Bear country are lucky- so many Floridians living in unappealing urban areas, crowding.
    Fir now at least, living in or adjacent to Bear Country is a plus for many humans.
    Be Thankful to have to put up with Beats- there are worse neighbors and neighborhoods.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    .17 works better
  • FLherritageFLherritage Posts: 219 Deckhand
    .22 to guts so he dies somewhere else.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,401 Captain

Use these to harass them.....

That's awesome!  Would probably work too.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 5,337 Admiral
    DJW said:
    There's only one reason why that bear would do that...and you and I both know what it is.
    The fact that your posting this here and speaking of shooting it means to me your an **********
    I think you should post all the information, if you want conclusive advice.
    Haha. That's awesome. Glad you made it. We were wondering when the bear peoope would show up.
    Unfortunately I'm too dense to figure out what your talking about. If you have a tip that would help me (besides getting F'd) don't keep it to yourself.
    😘💓
    I have a bear hide hanging in my living room. I killed it, skinned it, and tanned it myself. Its got a tag attached to it.
    That bear is protecting a food source, if it's not yours then it's not far, and it's unlikely to me that you don't know about it. Unless your just stupid.
    Why waste the bear?
    Track that bear and see if doesn't wind up at a food source source provided by a neighbor that's just as stupid as you are.
    When you find it, call the FWC and report it....problem solved......but you knew that.....
    If you are truly worried about your kids....do the right thing, don't be an outlaw. Don't teach your kids that sh()T.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.