Home Tropics

The Thirsty Turtle, South Bimini

CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 211 Deckhand
I'm planning a trip to Bimini and am looking at lodging options. Anyone ever stayed at the Thirsty Turtle on South Bimini? Opinions? $$ Rates?
Thanx

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    if this is the "hotel" above the dive shop, it is a dump and I would not stay there. Lot's of great, clean, economical places to stay:
    Seacrest
    Bluewater
    Weeches
    come to mind
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    What dpdash said........

At Sea Crest, the rooms in the main/original building across the street from the Marina are a bit cheaper, much quieter (probably the quietest on the island) but are not as updated as the newer building at the Marina...... but still very clean, spacious, fridge, cable, etc.......

You can see both buildings here:

http://www.seacrestbimini.com/
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Thanks for the input. I have seen the web pages mentioned by Gary M. They seem pretty good and popular. I found the Thirsty Turtle page but no mention of it any where else. Thanks again.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Gary M wrote: »
    What dpdash said........

At Sea Crest, the rooms in the main/original building across the street from the Marina are a bit cheaper, much quieter (probably the quietest on the island) but are not as updated as the newer building at the Marina...... but still very clean, spacious, fridge, cable, etc.......

You can see both buildings here:

http://www.seacrestbimini.com/

Spot on. I took Big G's advise a few years ago and been going to Seacrest ever since. The entire staff is very friendly and accommodating.
  • biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Thirsty turtle reminds me of the days of bimini 20 years ago. The rooms were redone last year, clean, new a/c's. you can trade off some fish for a meal. They have one long dock. It is definately a local experience and not a resort type of place.
    BiminiBrad, now you've sparked my interst. A resort atmosphere is the last thing I want. I haven't been to Bimini in almost 20 yrs and shutter at the thought of Bimini Bay Club. Unfortunately the Thirsty Turtle web site is not very informative. I suppose I'll just have to call them. Thanx
  • I wish you guys would stop telling everyone about Seacrest, just makes it harder to get a slip!
    Seriously these guys are the best on the island and about as safe as it gets for your boat.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    I wish you guys would stop telling everyone about Seacrest, just makes it harder to get a slip!
    Seriously these guys are the best on the island and about as safe as it gets for your boat.

Good point. Seacrest is a horrible place at the beginning of June and middle of August.
    Well now you've already spilled beans; SeaCreast it is!(Perhaps) And I plan on edging in there sometime in June/July/Aug. It sounds like I'll have plenty of company. Is it difficult to get a room in the summer during the week (mon-Fri)? Safe place for the boat is a good thing. Fortunately I have an ugly and slow Twin Vee with twin Suzukis. I hear Yammahas are the choice engines to steal.
    Crabtrap wrote: »
    Is it difficult to get a room in the summer during the week (mon-Fri)? Safe place for the boat is a good thing. Fortunately I have an ugly and slow Twin Vee with twin Suzukis. I hear Yammahas are the choice engines to steal.

Weekdays (Mon-Thurs) you should be able to book a bit easier. I used to always go there for Weds-Sun and on Weds when I pulled in, I'd have my pick of slips. There can be a bit of a current there so have somebody with a boat hook ready (and your docklines ready!) and call them on the radio out in the channel for some dockside help. If no answer, pick a slip (they are all 40 footers) with no dock lines or SP cords and tie up.

The dockside rooms are newer but can be a bit noisier so keep that in mind. Make sure to tell Elaine which building you want. Many times we'd ask for Rooms 11 or 12 and you can see the doors to those rooms right behind my boat (seen here with my main squeeze "Trixie" aboard). This dockside rooms make for easy loading/unloading and if you don't mind dragging your gear upstairs, the dockside view from the second floor rooms is awesome! Chairs up there too.........

FishBoats002.jpg

Sea Crest as seen from the harbour channel........ Beyond this single dock it gets a bit tight in there with Bluewater's docks right there as well, so wait until you get Patrick or Micheal to direct you if you can. There is more "manuevering room" on this side of the main dock. Refer to the aerial photo from their web site to "see" the layout better.

Bimini2009031.jpg
    001 wrote: »
    DSCN1956.jpg

Heeeeeeey! Who said you could use "my" slip?? ;-}

Good fish cleaning tables too........

The docks in the background belong to Bimini Bluewater....... They have a roof over their fuel dock out there now.......

GaryClean.jpg
    That must be a "lucky" slip!! :grin

JennDolph.jpg